Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117517 times)

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3750 on: September 23, 2010, 03:04:11 am »

It looks like you turned fertilizing on (it's kind of hard to tell). I've never bothered with fertilizing, but if you don't have any potash it seems possible that they could be waiting for fertilizer, so try turning that off.

While you're at it, make sure your whole farm is muddied and "Inside Dark Subterranean," and that at least one idle dwarf has planting enabled.

After some more forum searching, it seems that if one of the farm squares is not muddied, then they won't plant on it? I'm about to replant the farm and see if that's the culprit.

And yes, my farmer and planter have all of the necessary tasks enabled.

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: September 23, 2010, 03:08:06 am »

Yup. It seems that the dwarves plant in an order in which they start from the top left, and downward. The tile just below where they planted the first seed had no mud, and therefore halted the entire farm.

I appreciate your help nonetheless!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:10:09 am by Twinfun2 »

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: September 23, 2010, 03:55:51 am »

Yup. It seems that the dwarves plant in an order in which they start from the top left, and downward. The tile just below where they planted the first seed had no mud, and therefore halted the entire farm.

hehe...

Please, consider reading
http://df.magmawiki.com/

It`s very usefull.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: September 23, 2010, 04:05:08 am »

hehe...

Please, consider reading
http://df.magmawiki.com/

It`s very usefull.

I check there when I just don't know what a specific item is. It doesn't do a very good job as a tutorial though. CptDucks tutorials are keeping me more than saturated. xD

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: September 23, 2010, 06:28:54 am »

Some questions again...

I used to have 3 soldiers with 11 or better skill with a weapon and they used to wear a different uniform - after I rescheduled all my squads to only have 3/5 training at a time, they would show up in their older outfits again. They made it easy to see where they were in the battle... Any possible fix?

Also, I checked out the graphics files, and there seem to be a total of 6 uniform sets, 2 obviously for undead(?) dwarves... Are the 4 extra sets actually used by the game, or just optional graphics? Humans and Goblins seem to have them too.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: September 23, 2010, 07:03:46 am »

Some questions again...

I used to have 3 soldiers with 11 or better skill with a weapon and they used to wear a different uniform - after I rescheduled all my squads to only have 3/5 training at a time, they would show up in their older outfits again. They made it easy to see where they were in the battle... Any possible fix?

Also, I checked out the graphics files, and there seem to be a total of 6 uniform sets, 2 obviously for undead(?) dwarves... Are the 4 extra sets actually used by the game, or just optional graphics? Humans and Goblins seem to have them too.
Wait, wait, wait!

What do you mean by uniform/outfit?

"Set of armor, clothes, shield, ammunition, weapon, provision, that soldiers carry"
or
"Picture of soldier"
?

Pictures do change, when your soldier go on/off duty.
And they differ according to different soldier types (wrestler, sworddwarf and so on).
And pictures does not show what kind of equipment soldiers have.

I`m playing ASCII version of DF, so its hard to say, what picture shows what in your tileset.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: September 23, 2010, 07:17:34 am »

What does it mean when it says "He/She doesn't really care about anything anymore." in the thoughts and preferences window? He's not unhappy or anything, but he has been resting in bed for a long time now.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: September 23, 2010, 07:31:50 am »

What does it mean when it says "He/She doesn't really care about anything anymore." in the thoughts and preferences window? He's not unhappy or anything, but he has been resting in bed for a long time now.

It means he's seen a lot of things die and isn't bothered by it anymore.This can mean goblins, other dwarves, or just whatever you've been butchering.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: September 23, 2010, 09:12:11 am »

Some questions again...

Wait, wait, wait!

What do you mean by uniform/outfit?

"Set of armor, clothes, shield, ammunition, weapon, provision, that soldiers carry"
or
"Picture of soldier"
?

Pictures do change, when your soldier go on/off duty.
And they differ according to different soldier types (wrestler, sworddwarf and so on).
And pictures does not show what kind of equipment soldiers have.

I`m playing ASCII version of DF, so its hard to say, what picture shows what in your tileset.

The picture. The guys I had to reach "Great" level (11th) had a different picture... But they switched back after taking a short break. They are set to stay unoformed when inactive, and they do keep their equipment.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: September 23, 2010, 09:41:54 am »

"Uniform" does absolutely nothing to change the appearance of a tile. ALL it does is set their equipment. The various creature graphics are for the different "professions" which is simply the highest military/civilain skill. When active, they will use the military profession, when inactive, they will use the civilian one. For example, a dwarf that has his highest weapon skill as Wrestler will always use the wrestler tile when he's active in the military, even if he has a sword. If his highest weapon skill is Swords, he will use the Swordsdwarf graphic even if he's armed with a crossbow.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: September 23, 2010, 10:14:39 am »

"Uniform" does absolutely nothing to change the appearance of a tile. ALL it does is set their equipment. The various creature graphics are for the different "professions" which is simply the highest military/civilain skill. When active, they will use the military profession, when inactive, they will use the civilian one. For example, a dwarf that has his highest weapon skill as Wrestler will always use the wrestler tile when he's active in the military, even if he has a sword. If his highest weapon skill is Swords, he will use the Swordsdwarf graphic even if he's armed with a crossbow.

I do know that.... However, the soldiers that reached 11th level (all with swords), used different graphics until they took a break, and now they're back to the standard swordman graphic. Dunno who's tileset I'm using, but while other soldiers used a green-gray suit, they wore, for that while, all-blue. Looking at the graphics files, there seem to be as many as 6 "sets" of Dwarven soldiers, of only 2 seem to be used(apparently normal soldiers & champions, as therapist used to list those guys... Game announced me nothing, however, and I dont have a Baron yet, just a Mayor who only demands backpacks and waterkskins, lol).

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: September 23, 2010, 10:58:20 am »

I have a question.. not sure how to word my search to find the answer, so apologies if this has been asked and answered already...

I have a bunch of dedicated dwarfs with all hauling labors turned off.  Why are they still storing items in a stockpile?  More specifically, I noticed because I've confined them to warrens and I'm getting "cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item Inaccessable" spam.  They shouldn't be hauling.  Granted, they have no other jobs to do at the moment, but that means they should just remain idle, right?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: September 23, 2010, 11:54:35 am »

I have a question.. not sure how to word my search to find the answer, so apologies if this has been asked and answered already...

I have a bunch of dedicated dwarfs with all hauling labors turned off.  Why are they still storing items in a stockpile?  More specifically, I noticed because I've confined them to warrens and I'm getting "cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item Inaccessable" spam.  They shouldn't be hauling.  Granted, they have no other jobs to do at the moment, but that means they should just remain idle, right?
Some jobs like gathering plants from farms are not shown in a dwarf's [v]iew menu.
Check the [ o]rders menu to turn there off.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:30:51 pm by FuzzyZergling »

Crifmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:51 pm »

~snip~

Some jobs like gathering plants from farms are not shown in a dwarf's [v]iew menu.
Check the
  • rders menu to turn there off.
Ah... forgot about the all dwarfs harvest thing.  I do need to turn that off now.  Thank you.  For the time being I let the dwarfs out of the warrens while I continue to learn all the little quirks of the game.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: September 23, 2010, 04:40:00 pm »

I have yet another question (hopefully this will be my last one for awhile).

I just started adventure mode for the first time and I started out where a dwarven mountainhome was supposed to be, so after looking for it for awhile I decided that maybe I just can't find the stairs or something so I traveled to a nearby town and again I found no buildings. I'm following the directions in the box on the top left, and when it turns into like dashes I assume that means I'm at the town, but I can't find anything anywhere.

After that I traveled to another town and a dark tower but nothing, the only thing I managed to find was the road leading to where I think the tower should be, it just stops like right when the directions in the box turn into dashes. I'm using 31.13, but I made the world with 31.12, thanks for the help guys.
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 1178