Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117585 times)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3735 on: September 22, 2010, 02:33:04 pm »

Games saves/ folders question:

Sometimes I have too much Fun and have to start over. I usually delete my saves or move them because there are too many to choose from in the "continue playing" screen. Is there a way to get rid of all my saves, but keep the world that was generated?
Sounds like you have the seasonal backup system on, which can be very confusing for newbies at first, but don't fear!
As long as you don't open any other save, the save that is simply named Region 1(or 2 or 3 etc) will be your main save, if you open another save and save your game in it, that save will become your main, it can get quite confusing unless you keep track of it!

So, I accidentally managed to breach a river, which promptly started to flow all the way down my staircase into a cavern system. Is there any way to stop the flow of water in a one-tile corridor or down stairs? It's killing my framerate...
No way other than blocking it off, that I know of.

How am I supposed to block off the water? My dwarves won't build anything there, I can't dig to it, and if I channel the water will just fill the channel...

A cave in, my good sir! for specifics I would suggest checking out the wiki, I think it has a good page on cave-ins and how to work them.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: September 22, 2010, 02:56:50 pm »

If I completely dam a river (major river) will the world be affected or will an embark right next to it not show any signs?
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Phalangie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: September 22, 2010, 03:35:20 pm »

So, I accidentally managed to breach a river, which promptly started to flow all the way down my staircase into a cavern system. Is there any way to stop the flow of water in a one-tile corridor or down stairs? It's killing my framerate...
No way other than blocking it off, that I know of.

How am I supposed to block off the water? My dwarves won't build anything there, I can't dig to it, and if I channel the water will just fill the channel...

A cave in, my good sir! for specifics I would suggest checking out the wiki, I think it has a good page on cave-ins and how to work them.

Well, that worked out well - I now have a legendary miner without lower arms. Whoops.

On a different note, I found magma and tried to redirect that into the water to block it with obsidian. Now the lower levels of my fortress are filling with magma. Oops.

Never liked that embark anyway...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: September 22, 2010, 04:37:07 pm »

The wiki says that dwarves can be positioned to use specific furniture in a barracks, but using the [q] menu I don't see this option. Am I doing something wrong?

MycoRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: September 22, 2010, 05:33:23 pm »

Games saves/ folders question:

Sometimes I have too much Fun and have to start over. I usually delete my saves or move them because there are too many to choose from in the "continue playing" screen. Is there a way to get rid of all my saves, but keep the world that was generated?

I'm probably gonna get something wrong here, but..

That depends on what you mean by "keep". If you want to regenerate the world without the fortress you previously built, you start up the chosen fortress file, hit ESC and choose Export Local Image. Hitting "e" will then save off a copy of the world's init file to your main DF directory, which you need to open with a text editor, give the world some unique name in the TITLE line, and copy and paste the whole works into world_gen.txt under data/init. You can then re-start the game, choose "Design New World With Parameters", select the title that you just added, and create a new copy.

If you want to leave the fortress technically intact, and go settle somewhere else on the same map, you enter the game, hit ESC and choose Abandon Fortress. The world will be saved off onto the hard drive, and you can re-embark on it. You can't resettle on the old fortress site, but you can "reclaim" it; the wiki discusses that here.

The last option was basically what I wanted to do, I just wanted to wipe out the other fortress and start on that world fresh. Would I have to do all that complicated stuff to do that?

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:33 pm »

I've been looking through both the wiki and this forum and I'm getting kind of mixed messages, if you abandon your dwarf fortress with no enemies or anything around will it still be functioning if you come back as an adventurer?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3741 on: September 22, 2010, 07:05:23 pm »

I've been looking through both the wiki and this forum and I'm getting kind of mixed messages, if you abandon your dwarf fortress with no enemies or anything around will it still be functioning if you come back as an adventurer?
No, all the dwarves will either be dead/migrating away, all the items will be scattered around(unless you used lead bins, but not many people know about that), and most likely it will have multiple nasties inside it if you're unlucky.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: September 22, 2010, 07:37:44 pm »

No, all the dwarves will either be dead/migrating away, all the items will be scattered around(unless you used lead bins, but not many people know about that), and most likely it will have multiple nasties inside it if you're unlucky.
I'm not sure about this, but I heard that if you abandon your fort after at becomes a mountanhome it will stay active.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: September 23, 2010, 12:27:28 am »

Build wells between chained prisoners and dig out a reservoir beneath the jail! Then create food stockpile next to a prisoners.

Jail for 7 clients(2 blocks, 2 mechanisms, 2 ropes(for well), 7 chains):

FSFSF
SoSoS
FSFSF

LEGEND:
S - restraint
o-well
F-food
stockpile, that accept only consumable food of high quality, so prisoners wont become unhappy.

I tried placing prepared food in thier cells. For whatever reason my chained prisoners won't eat anything unless it's brought by another dwarf.
You placed food stockpile on a tile ajacent to a restraint? like in my layout?
can the prisoners stand on the stockpile?

Alright so a few questions for now.

Whats the best way to catch big fish like: Carp, sharks, and gar the big ones that can be made into leather?

I've been telling my dwarfs to train and spar and I had my first ambush in this fort and it was a disaster: out of the seven three had to be hospitalized.
Is sparring just so much garbadge now a days? Am I really going to have to build a danger room in order to get my dwarfs in any kind of fighting shape?

And my last question is: I've noticed that elfs and goblins usually ride animals into battle, can dwarfs ride animals as well?
How to catch big fish - i never tried it, but i guess, that to catch large fish, that isnt a vermin, you need to cach it with a cage. Try to build airlock chamber(with watercontrol system) near the place, where large fish tend to gather. Build some cagetraps in it and open airlock to aqatic area. once some fish was caught, close the airlock, pump out the water and recharge the trap.
Maybe to catch and keep large fish you need glass cage - aquariium.

Training.
Your dwarves use sparring and training to raise their stats and skills.
When demonstrating, one dwarf will organize and others will participate.
But, i saw many times, that most of my dwarves was waiting for demonstration, while other dwarves was running across the fortress, minding their own business.
so, to train military effectively, you shold split them in squads of three. with 2 dwarves training minimum.
There are some threads about it and "effective training in triples".
While one dwarf is sleeping/eating/resting/drinking, two others is sparring or demonstraing.
And about danger room - use it. =)
it still takes 2 or 3 years+lots of micromanagement to make Legendary Dodger + Legendary Shield User+Legendary WeaponUser out of Peasant.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: September 23, 2010, 01:59:08 am »

My cook keeps trying to render fat. I cancel the jobs because they always fail. I have no fat in my fortress. The job auto-queues all the time.
I can't seem to disable "Auto Kitchen." The only way I can disable it is if I disable "Auto Butcher" which automatically disables "Auto Fishery" and "Auto Kitchen."

Is this a bug or normal behavior? Seems odd.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: September 23, 2010, 02:16:51 am »

I have finally completed my first underground farm! Woot! But what? Why have my dwarves planted seeds on only one square? ARGH!

I planned the journey carefully and picked up some extra spawn (30 plump helmet spawns to be exact) to be sure that the farm would be filled up. Is it possible that my dwarves have eaten them or something?

There is a small 2x2 channel on the level above the farm, but that channel was made on a level with a ceiling present, so I don't believe that an exposition to sunlight could be causing anything, but this is a complete guess; I've barely put a week into this amazing game.

Comment: Any way to resize the image? D:

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: September 23, 2010, 02:35:18 am »

To answer your last question first: Imageshack let's you resize images when you upload them.

Your dwarfs didn't eat all your seeds unless you manually set them to be cooked, which I assume you didn't do. If you want to check anyway you can look at your stocks from the z menu.

I suspect the problem is that you designated each tile as a separate plot instead of making one big plot. Every new plot you designate has its own orders menu, and you only gave orders for the one tile. To make a single, large plot you need to use the umhk keys (specifically, u to make it taller and k to make it wider) when you're designating it. Or you can go through every mini-plot and set their orders one at a time.

If you did make it all one plot and that's not the problem, all I can think of is that you may have accidentally forbidden your seeds. Look for your seed barrel(s) in your food stockpile and make sure they aren't forbidden.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: September 23, 2010, 02:43:18 am »

Double post, somehow...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:52:14 am by Absentia »

Twinfun2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: September 23, 2010, 02:48:13 am »

To answer your last question first: Imageshack let's you resize images when you upload them.

Your dwarfs didn't eat all your seeds unless you manually set them to be cooked, which I assume you didn't do. If you want to check anyway you can look at your stocks from the z menu.

I suspect the problem is that you designated each tile as a separate plot instead of making one big plot. Every new plot you designate has its own orders menu, and you only gave orders for the one tile. To make a single, large plot you need to use the umhk keys (specifically, u to make it taller and k to make it wider) when you're designating it. Or you can go through every mini-plot and set their orders one at a time.

If you did make it all one plot and that's not the problem, all I can think of is that you may have accidentally forbidden your seeds. Look for your seed barrel(s) in your food stockpile and make sure they aren't forbidden.

I also looked through all of my food stockpiles and absolutely nothing in my food stockpile is "forbidden". All the barrels are labeled as f: Forbid.

Also I can say that is also isn't due to other jobs that are in queue; All of the workers are idle.

I also have the farm set to plant plump helmets year round. I double checked the barrel and have confirmed that plump helmet spawns ARE in the barrel (just figured out how to do that =D).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:52:56 am by Twinfun2 »

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: September 23, 2010, 03:00:24 am »

It looks like you turned fertilizing on (it's kind of hard to tell). I've never bothered with fertilizing, but if you don't have any potash it seems possible that they could be waiting for fertilizer, so try turning that off.

While you're at it, make sure your whole farm is muddied and "Inside Dark Subterranean," and that at least one idle dwarf has planting enabled.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 1178