Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117657 times)

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3705 on: September 21, 2010, 09:04:02 pm »

Geez this forum's really helpful, thanks guys
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: September 21, 2010, 11:01:11 pm »

I have some adamantine cloth. How do I make a robe and other cloth out of it?

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: September 22, 2010, 12:06:52 am »

I have some adamantine cloth. How do I make a robe and other cloth out of it?
use Job Manager menu

(j) -> (m)
or
(u) -> (m)

Here you can see queued jobs, change priority, order, add and delete job.
Press "add new"(cant remember the button) and type "adamantine". You`ll see all the tasks, that have "adamantine" in their name. if you want adamantine robes (as robe is covering whole body) type "adamantine robes" and select "Make adamantine robes".
Then enter desired quantity.
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: September 22, 2010, 12:14:09 am »

I have a population of 95 according to the z-screen, but I have not seen a single snatcher! I'm pretty sure they are on this tile. I am even at war with the elves I think. Actually, I haven't seen much of anybody except for some dwarven traders that went insane.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: September 22, 2010, 12:15:10 am »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something but I put two cages in a room so I could have a little jailroom, but when I make the cages into rooms the justice option is shaded out and I can't select it, I have no idea what the problem could be.

Are they wooden cages?  Fairly sure justice requires a metal cage.
This, also I would suggest you use chains instead, as cages tend to disable your dwarves from being fed/watered.

Dwarves seem to rarely feed or water chained prisoners anyway. I've had two starve to death because none of my idlers, of which I had about a dozen, couldn't be bothered to get off thier asses and bring food or water. And yes, they had the proper labor enabled.
Build wells between chained prisoners and dig out a reservoir beneath the jail! Then create food stockpile next to a prisoners.

Jail for 7 clients(2 blocks, 2 mechanisms, 2 ropes(for well), 7 chains):

FSFSF
SoSoS
FSFSF

LEGEND:
S - restraint
o-well
F-food
stockpile, that accept only consumable food of high quality, so prisoners wont become unhappy.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: September 22, 2010, 04:13:42 am »

I have a dwarf holding an axe and Woodcutting labor enabled. She's not cutting down the trees I marked. She is also the militia commander. What does it take for this dwarf to cut trees?

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: September 22, 2010, 04:31:26 am »

I have a dwarf holding an axe and Woodcutting labor enabled. She's not cutting down the trees I marked. She is also the militia commander. What does it take for this dwarf to cut trees?
Do you set this dwarf on duty/training?
If so - release woodcutter from duty - set alert with "No order" schedule for her squad for current month and make sure, that active military isnt going to grab all the axes you have for training - equip your military with some other weapon or without weapon at all(disband all the squads if you cannot assure it).
After that, your woodcutter (if she is not assigned to a burrow), will go cut trees.
With lumber, make some training axes, so you can use them for training and for woodcutting.

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: September 22, 2010, 04:36:08 am »

I dumped a cage with a goblin into 7/7 water. He doesn't drown. Do cages grant some sort of invulnerability?

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: September 22, 2010, 04:52:33 am »

I dumped a cage with a goblin into 7/7 water. He doesn't drown. Do cages grant some sort of invulnerability?
There is a "pocket space" inside a cage, so nothing can harm creature inside the cage.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: September 22, 2010, 05:21:44 am »

There is a "pocket space" inside a cage, so nothing can harm creature inside the cage.

Hehe, noticed that the other day by myself. I dumped an Ettin cage into a cavern, it fell nine levels and neither the cage nor the Ettin has even a scratch.

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: September 22, 2010, 05:58:58 am »

Hehe, noticed that the other day by myself. I dumped an Ettin cage into a cavern, it fell nine levels and neither the cage nor the Ettin has even a scratch.

Well, killing caged creature culd be very creative - you can build cage, link it to a lever and:

a) fill a cage room with water
    a.1) and after that -  with magma and get bonus obsidian + killing magma-immune creatures
b) fill room with your military
c) strip caged creature off its items and
    c.1) fill room with kittens, puppys, foals, cubs
    c.2) fill room with noobish military
d) build room above, carve fortification into a space above the cage room and fill the top room with crossbowdwarves
layout:
floor 0
=====
=+++=
=+^+=
=+++=
=====

floor 1
=========
=&&&#+++=
=&&&#+++=
=&&&#+++=
=========

LEGEND:
= - wall
+ - floor
& - chanel
# - fortification
^ - cage

e) build cave-in mechanism inside the cage room with one support preventintg it and put building destroyer inside the cage
f)  fill cage room with traps
g) fill cage with different cretures who is hostile towards each outer(they wont fight inside the cage)

...and pull the lever

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: September 22, 2010, 06:19:11 am »

I'd have a question on exports... Apparently, I will get a Baron after reaching 10k exports.  I had it at 6k, so I robbed an elven caravan and gave a Dwarven caravan stuff worth of perhaps 30k, but the exports rose only to 7,5k after the caravan left the map - so apparently only stuff created/mined on the embark area and then exported counts as exports, right? I can get rich robbing elves & gobbos, but not rise export value?

BTW, is there ANY reason to actually want a Baron?  :D

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: September 22, 2010, 06:36:45 am »

I'd have a question on exports... Apparently, I will get a Baron after reaching 10k exports.  I had it at 6k, so I robbed an elven caravan and gave a Dwarven caravan stuff worth of perhaps 30k, but the exports rose only to 7,5k after the caravan left the map - so apparently only stuff created/mined on the embark area and then exported counts as exports, right? I can get rich robbing elves & gobbos, but not rise export value?

that could be a bug.
Could you post the details on a bugtracker?

You cant get the dungeon master without the baron(ess). I guess, its the only reason to ever want him/her.=)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3718 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38:12 am »

So, I've read that humans can only ship things up to bronze, and dwarves are the only caravan that can ship steel. So if I wanted a steel longsword/scimitar etc, I'd have to get it through a strange mood right?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:47 am »

that could be a bug.
Could you post the details on a bugtracker?

You cant get the dungeon master without the baron(ess). I guess, its the only reason to ever want him/her.=)

Could be and RGR, so no real hurry with him. How about the military ranks, Champion, General and Liutenants? Wiki says almost nothing about them, but apparently Barony activates them as well.

EDIT, while I'm at it, I could ask about the rooms... Every now and then I see someone actually take his food/booze(or even both) to his room and eat there on his table sitting on his chair, but usually most of the Dwarves just eat/drink in the stockpiles, straight from barrels. The least used ones seem to be the actual dining rooms - on an occasion I see someone bring food to a party or designated meeting hall/public dining room, but thats it. Interestingly the most used ones seem to be the tables and chairs that have not been designated or that are not part of any room... However, I do know that they use the designated rooms too for some extend, because they sometimes leave their (rotten) clothes or tools on the chairs. There also seems to be a trend that the further the room is from the nearest stockpile, the more likely(!) the Dwarf will go eat to his room. The rooms and beds closer than about 30 steps from nearest stockpile seem to only be used for sleeping, and even that mostly by military dwarves only. Babies and kids dont seem to sleep in their rooms at all.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:47:54 am by Erkki »
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 1178