Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1117668 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3690 on: September 21, 2010, 01:05:29 am »

What is a good last line of defense where traps are concerned? I am worried about some goblins surviving the cages and other traps and making it to the stairs. There, I want to have a reliable weapon trap. Which is the best? Serrated disc? And what should I make it out of? Is glass good? If not, should I use steel or iron?

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: September 21, 2010, 01:26:12 am »

What is a good last line of defense where traps are concerned? I am worried about some goblins surviving the cages and other traps and making it to the stairs. There, I want to have a reliable weapon trap. Which is the best? Serrated disc? And what should I make it out of? Is glass good? If not, should I use steel or iron?

From what I read on this forum, glass serrated discs seem to be very hit-or-miss and are not recommended, especially if you're only setting up one trap. Steel ones are great though! You could always use goblin weapons.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:10 am »

My dwarf keeps dropping the adamantine breastplate to pick up the adamantine chain shirt, then he drops the chain shirt and picks up the breastplate. He keeps doing this over and over again. Why?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: September 21, 2010, 01:53:59 am »

In addition to the 10 pieces of equipment you can wear (breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, 2 gauntlets, 2 high boots, helm, shield, weapon), what else can a dwarf equip that increases protection?

kuketski

• Bay Watcher
  • If we are paranoid, then are we paranoid enough???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: September 21, 2010, 02:18:52 am »

In addition to the 10 pieces of equipment you can wear (breastplate, mail shirt, greaves, 2 gauntlets, 2 high boots, helm, shield, weapon), what else can a dwarf equip that increases protection?

1 robe or dress. - must have. Tests proved.
1 cape or hood, 2 socks. - the more layers, the better.

EDIT: use search.
For organization purposes, I order my dwarves to wear armor instead of clothing. Are there any disadvantages to this? Mail shirt, breastplate, helm, left/right gauntlet, shield, 2 high boots, greaves and weapon should cover all bases, right?
add robe or dress. in my arena tests 15x(armored and robed dwarves) vs 15x(armored dwarves)
the last dwarves standing was
2x(armored and robed dwarves)

as i can undrstand [UBSTEP:MAX] armor (robe and dress) covers throat
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:20:40 am by kuketski »
God, please, take asp.net give second python!

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20:01 am »

I have spent four hours of my life building a complicated pump / machinery sytem, only to comfort my dwarfs with waterfalls in the meeting hall.

Should I quit df now or is it already too late?

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: September 21, 2010, 09:59:34 am »

Why do my military dwarves feel it's not important to bring all the gear I told them to wear into the danger room? Twice so far those flunkies have decided the helm was too much and just left it off only to get a training spear thru the head.

I have it set on exact matches for everyone and I have steel helms coming out the wazzoo.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: September 21, 2010, 01:05:22 pm »

So, I have a macedwarf that just entered a martial trance (31.13)  and then proceeded to immedately leave the martial trance.
... What just happened?

As I understand it, trances happen when a dwarf is targetted by a certain number of enemies. Probably he was facing just enough goblins (or whatever) to get a trance, but then one of them got killed or changed targets or decided to run away, making him ineligible for a trance again.

I have spent four hours of my life building a complicated pump / machinery sytem, only to comfort my dwarfs with waterfalls in the meeting hall.

It's too late.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: September 21, 2010, 01:44:29 pm »

Yeah, it's definitely too late.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: September 21, 2010, 02:45:08 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something but I put two cages in a room so I could have a little jailroom, but when I make the cages into rooms the justice option is shaded out and I can't select it, I have no idea what the problem could be.

EDIT: Actually it might be because I don't have a sheriff, just a captain of the guard, if this is the reason is there any way to make him stop beating the dwarves that break the law half to death?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:50:13 pm by Jusman »
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:46 pm »

Give your guard captain an adamantine warhammer.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: September 21, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

I think training weapons would also work, preferably something lighter (featherwood or cedar)

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: September 21, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something but I put two cages in a room so I could have a little jailroom, but when I make the cages into rooms the justice option is shaded out and I can't select it, I have no idea what the problem could be.

Are they wooden cages?  Fairly sure justice requires a metal cage.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3703 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:47 pm »

This, also I would suggest you use chains instead, as cages tend to disable your dwarves from being fed/watered.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: September 21, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »

This, also I would suggest you use chains instead, as cages tend to disable your dwarves from being fed/watered.

Dwarves seem to rarely feed or water chained prisoners anyway. I've had two starve to death because none of my idlers, of which I had about a dozen, couldn't be bothered to get off thier asses and bring food or water. And yes, they had the proper labor enabled.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 1178