Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118056 times)

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3495 on: September 17, 2010, 11:27:17 am »

Can having exactly the same room layouts on 2 adjacent z-levels cause a cave-in?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: September 17, 2010, 11:46:26 am »

No. It gets supported by the floor.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: September 17, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

Does rain fall through floor hatches, to fill pools underneath ? Bloody hope so. Is there any way to artificially collect rainwater ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: September 17, 2010, 12:18:08 pm »

No. Weather only affects "Outside" tiles.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:35 pm »

I got a bunch of questions: four to be exact.
1. How to I channel water up and down (I know a stupid way of doing it down, just dig the water underneith it and make a sort of channel doo-dad.) and does water evaporate if it's underground or will it just stay there forever?

2. In this new version I've recieved migrants that don't work and they have special titles like "Hunter" and "Drunk". What the hell is that all about?

3. Is there any guide I can read that'll take my hand and guide me through this over-complicated new military system?

4. How many z-layers deep do I usually have to dig in order to get into the cavern biome?

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: September 17, 2010, 02:07:48 pm »

Just a recap, (my memory is failing me) but how do you select items within a bin or barrel for trading only and not the whole barrel? (This is to send to the depot, not at the depot)
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: September 17, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »

1. How to I channel water up and down (I know a stupid way of doing it down, just dig the water underneith it and make a sort of channel doo-dad.) and does water evaporate if it's underground or will it just stay there forever?

2. In this new version I've recieved migrants that don't work and they have special titles like "Hunter" and "Drunk". What the hell is that all about?

3. Is there any guide I can read that'll take my hand and guide me through this over-complicated new military system?

4. How many z-layers deep do I usually have to dig in order to get into the cavern biome?

1: Channel down and the water falls down. If you want water to go up, use screw pumps. Any water at all that is 1/7 evaporates.

2: Bug.

3: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Military

4: 20-30 if I recall correctly.
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: September 17, 2010, 02:10:04 pm »

Some of my soldiers got injured fighting magma men, I have a hospital but for some reason my dwarves just continue their training instead of getting diagnosed and resting in the hospital bed. How do I fix this? Also another slight problem is my soldiers are becoming unhappy because apparently I recently relieved them of their duties but I don't touch anything other than telling them to alternate between training and guarding
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: September 17, 2010, 02:24:33 pm »

1: Channel down and the water falls down. If you want water to go up, use screw pumps. Any water at all that is 1/7 evaporates.

So, I'm reading the whole pipe screw thing.
Really this is my main focus since if I can learn how to do this I'll be sitting pretty.

So in order for a pump to pump water I need to build it next to a source of water thats below it? And then the pump will pump the water up onto the level it's already on?
Wouldn't that flood the area the pump is on?

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: September 17, 2010, 02:29:25 pm »

Really this is my main focus since if I can learn how to do this I'll be sitting pretty.

So in order for a pump to pump water I need to build it next to a source of water thats below it? And then the pump will pump the water up onto the level it's already on?

yes and yes.

But remember water falls down, so just make another "pipe" on the exit side that leads down to a cistern where you can use Dwarvenly Lever systems to unleash water to individual wells. :P
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Avicenna

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: September 17, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »

Are the z-stocks ever completely wrong?

The stocks under the status menu say that I have 805 cave spider silk thread with my bookkeeper on maximum accuracy, yet my weavers can't seem to find any, and after a thorough search, I can't seem to find any either.  I checked my the storage in my hospital, but it's not there either.  Is there anywhere that might hold this stuff, but keep it restricted from my dwarves?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: September 17, 2010, 03:34:59 pm »

Are the z-stocks ever completely wrong?

The stocks under the status menu say that I have 805 cave spider silk thread with my bookkeeper on maximum accuracy, yet my weavers can't seem to find any, and after a thorough search, I can't seem to find any either.  I checked my the storage in my hospital, but it's not there either.  Is there anywhere that might hold this stuff, but keep it restricted from my dwarves?
Things carried by animals and laying on the ground are considered part of your stocks, so cave spider webs in the caverns are counted.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: September 17, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »

Can anyone answer my question, I think it got skipped
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: September 17, 2010, 04:36:32 pm »

Some of my soldiers got injured fighting magma men, I have a hospital but for some reason my dwarves just continue their training instead of getting diagnosed and resting in the hospital bed. How do I fix this? Also another slight problem is my soldiers are becoming unhappy because apparently I recently relieved them of their duties but I don't touch anything other than telling them to alternate between training and guarding

They're up and about because their injuries don't hinder them.

Are any of your soldiers peasants in civilian life? Dwarves with military skills and no civilian skills don't like being "deactivated" (they usually switch to civilian mode when training).
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: September 17, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

yes and yes.

But remember water falls down, so just make another "pipe" on the exit side that leads down to a cistern where you can use Dwarvenly Lever systems to unleash water to individual wells. :P

So I need to have to have the pump just above the area I want it to flood? And yet connected to the source of it's water?
Do I just need to build a pipe thats on the same z-level as the water it needs?

Can a pump be operated like a floodgate or does it need to be operated manually? Like right next to it.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1178