Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118041 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3405 on: September 15, 2010, 05:12:36 am »

With low max water like that, there may not be any underground water at all on the spot you embarked at, which is evidently still neccesary for underground plants. You can try digging down to the other caverns and seeing if there's any water in either of them. If there's not any underground water in your embark area, period, I think you're pretty much out of luck.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 15, 2010, 05:15:43 am »

Ah but i set the MIN water to 5 -  shouldnt that be enough to ensure some water in my cavern for underground plants?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 15, 2010, 07:29:16 am »

Go for a min and max of 25 each.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 15, 2010, 08:33:22 am »

Is it verified that crossbows still use Hammer skill for melee? I had a crossbowdwarf run out of bolts and start bashing a giantess, keeping it up for about a month, and his hammer skill stayed "rusty" the entire time, with no visible increase on Therapist.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:56 am »

Is it verified that crossbows still use Hammer skill for melee? I had a crossbowdwarf run out of bolts and start bashing a giantess, keeping it up for about a month, and his hammer skill stayed "rusty" the entire time, with no visible increase on Therapist.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
[NAME:crossbow:crossbows]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT] ...etc

Skill is hammer.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 15, 2010, 09:58:23 am »

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW]
[NAME:crossbow:crossbows]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT] ...etc

Skill is hammer.

Ok, thanks. So is it a bug then that the skill stayed rusty, or . . hrm. I dunno!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 15, 2010, 10:02:25 am »

The easiest way is to simply wait for the next release - they'll be fixed then, and won't go on an orgy of destruction.
You're silly. The new release probably won't be out for a few days.

In the meantime I'd need to a) start a new fortress, b) allow this fortress to burn (literally), or c) not play DF.

Nick

The next morning...

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: September 15, 2010, 10:55:52 am »

It's still not released on the Mac...

Nick

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: September 15, 2010, 11:13:51 am »

Guys, i got a little question (It is little questions thread, Isn't it?). I set up my military, and assigned everyone weapons I would like them to learn how to use, but they keeping to learn each other wrestling, or marksmanship, holding weapons in their hands. I don't want them to learn/teach wrestling! I want them to spar and learn how to use the weapon they are holding? What should I consider of?

Thanks

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: September 15, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »

Why don't Masons work in teams?

Just noticed that its 1 project per Dwarf. But something like a Bridge could be built much more efficiently if several dwarves could do the stone hauling for it, rather than just the constructing dwarf. Just asked cause I have a team of 6 Masons, and its annoying having one build a complicated bridge and the others twiddling their thumbs.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: September 15, 2010, 01:10:48 pm »

Why don't Masons work in teams?

Just noticed that its 1 project per Dwarf. But something like a Bridge could be built much more efficiently if several dwarves could do the stone hauling for it, rather than just the constructing dwarf. Just asked cause I have a team of 6 Masons, and its annoying having one build a complicated bridge and the others twiddling their thumbs.

Well, itīs a problem you can solve for yourself...
just make a stockpile for the stones/blocks you want to use for the bridge
next to the location where the bridge should be built.
This way the stones will get carried by multiple dwarves to the stockpile
and the single dwarf who is responsible for building the bridge
just has to carry them a few tiles

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: September 15, 2010, 02:11:16 pm »

A couple of questions.

My baron has suddenly decided he wants a clear glass bed in his room.  Is it even possible to make one?  I do have both an ettin pit interactive zoo and a magma chamber luxury spa that need testing, so...

I've got a goblin siege going on at the moment, somewhere between 40-60 of 'em.  I have a big ballista/catapult hallway of death (that's managed to wreck a few trolls they sent in), but they're now standing still way out of range and won't attack; even though there's a clear path into the fortress.  A diplomat would head out towards them, panic, and run back towards the fort, but the goblins'd still run away to safety after he was out of sight.  Is this normal?  I'm surprised they're not being more aggressive...only a few of them have come in.

How to make use of war animals?  I've got six war bears, and something like 8 more cubs still waiting to grow, but I don't know if you can attach them to military dwarves. 

There's something like 8 forgotten beasts hanging around in my first cavern level.  I've discovered (and sealed off) the second cavern level but there's been no beasts showing up there.  Shouldn't they be showing up in both caverns?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: September 15, 2010, 02:17:28 pm »

1. Glass beds are not possible to make without modding or a lucky artifact. Fear not, for failing to meet a demand (as opposed to a mandate) does not result in punishment.

2. No idea.

3. {v}iew units - {p}references -{e} work animals.

4. They will eventually.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: September 15, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »

Thanks, Doc Scratch!

And here I was thinking "Work Dogs" meant 'work the dogs'.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:28:34 pm by Tryble »

Ritavu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: September 15, 2010, 03:50:27 pm »

I need help getting my Craftsdwarf's Workshops to produce anything. This is my second fortress, and although my first fortress had a working workshop, I have not been able to get anything out of either of the two Craftsdwarf's Workshops I have made.

I should have plenty of stone around; I'm practically swimming in dolomite and talc, both rough and cut blocks. I have had a crafter dwarf assigned only to stonecrafting for months who has Novice skill, and who hasn't done anything except eat, drink, and sit around. I have tried clearing the labor and reassigning it, I have tried clearing the queue of crafts (mugs, toys, etc.) and reassigning it. I have tried limiting only the crafting dwarf to the workshop with my manager, I have checked to be sure that the skill permissions are all the way down to novice minimum skill. I have tried producing other things at the shop, like bone crafts, to no effect.

I don't receive any errors when I assign the work jobs, and my job list simply indicates the crafting job as 'inactive' and the crafting dwarf as 'idle.'

I have even tried completely tearing down the workshop a couple times, and building it elsewhere.

Meanwhile the jeweler workshop right next door churns out gems all day long.

What could I possibly be doing wrong? It's so frustrating!
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1178