Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118424 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3300 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:11 pm »

As far as I know, adamantine functions just like any other rock/ore. It might be different, but I've never heard of it before.
In 40d adamantine tiles would always leave raw adamantine rock when mined regardless of the skill of the miner.  AFAIK this has not changed in 31.

...I did not know this. The wiki made no mention, and I was always too miserly to have accidentally discovered this by using a crappy miner on it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:25 pm »

Much. Adamantine is quite simply the best metal for armor and edged weapons.

Can one guy in full adamantine take on 5 goblins at once?

If the goblins are using edged weapons, most likely. Blunt weapons mostly ignore armor, but they have a hard time killing, except for whips.

stuff

1. You are indeed limited to your embark area. Don't worry - it's far more space than you'll ever use.

2. Your dwarves need to see an area for you to see it. Get digging. Usually a 3x3 staircase going as far down as you can go will reveal all three cavern levels, and there's a good chance of a magma pipe (called a magma pool ingame) reaching up to one of the caverns.

3. You likely embarked in a calm area, resulting in the lack of wildlife. Have you had any kobolds? Either all your world's goblins are extinct, or they simply can't get to you.

4. No, you will have to add the order again. If you use the job manager (j-m) you can set jobs to be done, and the jobs will automatically be reassigned if cancelled, but you can't order a job to run infinitely from it and it doesn't wait until you have the materials to do a job to reassign it, leading to more cancellations and clogging up your message menu.

5. There are giant mushrooms in the caverns that count as trees, insofar as they produce wood when cut and piss off the elves. New trees will also grow - look around the surface and you'll see some τ-like characters. Those are saplings and they will grow into full=fledged trees in about a year.

I would also like to note that breaching the caverns will most likely solve problem #2. Cavern wildlife is nasty.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:17:07 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: September 12, 2010, 11:20:36 pm »

How can I trap invaders? I want to drop them down into a pit where I can send my guys to finish them off and not have them run away. Is a retracting bridge the best way to do this? Maybe a set of large retracting bridges? How can I lure them there?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: September 12, 2010, 11:25:35 pm »

Cage traps(b-T-c). Require one mechanism to build, and will automatically be loaded, provided you have an empty cage (can be made out of wood, metal, or glass*) for your mechanic to load it with. Will catch any unit without fail, but can only catch one before needing to be reloaded. Build enough of them and watch as sieges become your helpless toys. Build the cages somewhere (b-j), preferably in an arena, mass-dump (d-b-d) over the cages (to strip the goblins of their weapons and armor), link them all to a single lever, station your military near the cages and pull the lever. Your goblins are ready to die.

*Glass cages are called terrariums. They're still cages.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:27:50 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: September 12, 2010, 11:37:57 pm »

Cage traps(b-T-c). Require one mechanism to build, and will automatically be loaded, provided you have an empty cage (can be made out of wood, metal, or glass*) for your mechanic to load it with. Will catch any unit without fail, but can only catch one before needing to be reloaded. Build enough of them and watch as sieges become your helpless toys. Build the cages somewhere (b-j), preferably in an arena, mass-dump (d-b-d) over the cages (to strip the goblins of their weapons and armor), link them all to a single lever, station your military near the cages and pull the lever. Your goblins are ready to die.

*Glass cages are called terrariums. They're still cages.

Can I release them one at a time? I want my dwarves to have a challenge. Maybe a little one-on-one?

DudeTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: September 12, 2010, 11:45:36 pm »

First of all thanx for all the answers! To answer your question, no I have not seen any kobolds. I am going to look for the caverns and hopefully there will be something to fight down there as the surface area is so unbelievably peaceful it is sickening.  :'(

Edit: Is there a way to stop migrants from coming? I have so much food I could feed millions, but I can never keep enough drink sadly. Drink requires barrels, barrels require wood, etc., etc.. Every new migrant makes it more impossible to keep any kind of drink stock.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:56:18 pm by DudeTheMan »

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: September 13, 2010, 12:07:24 am »

First of all thanx for all the answers! To answer your question, no I have not seen any kobolds. I am going to look for the caverns and hopefully there will be something to fight down there as the surface area is so unbelievably peaceful it is sickening.  :'(

Edit: Is there a way to stop migrants from coming? I have so much food I could feed millions, but I can never keep enough drink sadly. Drink requires barrels, barrels require wood, etc., etc.. Every new migrant makes it more impossible to keep any kind of drink stock.

Don't worry, there should be batmen, trolls, antmen, blind cave ogres, hungry heads, and other fun wildlife in the caverns.

As for population, go to the data\init file in your DF folder and open up the text document named d_init. About two thirds of the way down is where you can adjust the population cap, and just below that is where you can adjust how many children are allowed (immigrant families will still bring kids regardless of what this is set at, but you can adjust how many freeloaders children will actually be born at your fort.)

Note that the population cap is "soft." If you have the cap at 100, and you have 99 dwarves, the next immigration wave could easily be twenty dwarves, bringing you up to 119. That's because the game just checks whether you're at the population cap, or below it- if you're below it, even if only one dwarf below, the game just thinks "Room for more!" and not "Only room for X more" and generates an entire immigrant wave.

DudeTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: September 13, 2010, 12:47:29 am »

Thanx for the init file tip. I Have another question for you. I was on the wiki page under attributes and it says that in the dwarf's preferences it should say mighty, strong, weak, etc.. But it does not say that in my game. Was this changed maybe?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: September 13, 2010, 02:21:38 am »

How do I change tilesets?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: September 13, 2010, 02:28:48 am »

Edit your init file.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:57 am »

Animal training - I have plenty of dogs skulking around with "waiting to be trained" tags, but the kennels tell me "no creature to train". So no trained animals for my fortress, and I'm in year 5. 

Something wrong with the trainer (level 2 according to Dwarf Therapist) or lack of suitable animals (dogs, rather than hunting or war)?

Sigh - last fortress I had trained gorillas and elephants.  Now I have untrainable groundhogs.  30 of them...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

landrus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: September 13, 2010, 04:54:38 am »

Hi,

I do have a little question regarding the characters on the left border of the game window. Sometimes there is a red capital c and other characters (I do play in graphics mode, I don't know if these are there in text mode). What do they mean? I have searched in the forums and browsed through the wiki but couldn't find anything.

Greetings

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: September 13, 2010, 05:00:22 am »

Those are combat reports that can be read with the "r" key. A green H means that one of your hunters is fighting something. A red C means that someone has been attacked or attacked someone. A blue S represents sparring Reports.

Protip: Scan this thread before asking. A lot of simple questions have been answered here, and it will save you time as you won't have to wait for a reply. This particular question has been answered about thirty times (although it's impossible to be upset that you didn't see it, the thread is very large.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: September 13, 2010, 05:46:02 am »

Another militia question - sorry if I'm asking too much, but the number of 'doh' moments I've had where simple but unlikely things make huge improvements is overwhelming, and I'm hoping for one here.

Goblin ambush - sent out two squads to see if they can actually do something useful this time, and find that 3 of them have gone to assault 7 goblins, while the other 7 are 'watching shield demonstration'. Any hints?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3314 on: September 13, 2010, 07:36:29 am »

Animal training - I have plenty of dogs skulking around with "waiting to be trained" tags, but the kennels tell me "no creature to train". So no trained animals for my fortress, and I'm in year 5. 
In order to be trained, a dog has to be tame, not in a cage, not on a chain, and not the pet of any dwarf.  A dog which is already assigned to or the pet of a dwarf can't be trained into a war or hunting dog, even if it has the "waiting to be trained" status.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1178