Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118429 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3270 on: September 12, 2010, 12:36:58 pm »

Do ambushes ever get fed up and go home? Been holed up for two seasons now and they're still dancing around making streamers out of migrants. Haven't got facilities or equipment to train an army and can't access magma or water to build a trap.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3271 on: September 12, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »

Do ambushes ever get fed up and go home? Been holed up for two seasons now and they're still dancing around making streamers out of migrants. Haven't got facilities or equipment to train an army and can't access magma or water to build a trap.

Build a pit-trap using a bridge/pressure plate. Even if it doesn't kill them, at least they'll be out of the way.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:33 pm »

How do I check what my dwarf is doing while he's fighting? I sent my first soldier in full steel armor to take on a squad of goblins. He cut one of them down without taking any damage, but I have no idea where he hit him or if the goblin tried to fight back.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 12, 2010, 02:31:25 pm »

How do I check what my dwarf is doing while he's fighting? I sent my first soldier in full steel armor to take on a squad of goblins. He cut one of them down without taking any damage, but I have no idea where he hit him or if the goblin tried to fight back.
Press r for combat reports.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: September 12, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »

As of .30.12 there's a known bug with bedroom assignments being ignored, it is reported fixed in .30.13 (which hasn't been released yet).

I have the most hilarious workaround for this. I make a doubly-awesome-royal-bedroom, and make it very near to the main meeting hall, and generally close to everything as possible. Then, since I know dwarves are going to sleep in it anyway, I also double-room it, by making it a Dormitory. Add enough beds for every dwarf in the fortress. Build no other bedrooms. Now the Dwarven Queen is having a Slumber Party!
This was a while back in the thread, I realize, but I just had to say, this is a fkn awesome 'fix'. ;)

:D thanks. I like it. Someone else added that they also set the area up as the hospital. How can you not be happy, hanging out in the queen's bedroom, with first aid right on hand?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3275 on: September 12, 2010, 05:19:40 pm »

If I have a well inside and outside, and set the outside well as a meeting hall, will they always use the outside well, unless they're restricted to being inside/Thirsty while underground, and closer to the underground well?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »

Message spam! I keep getting "can't put in tomb" because I sealed off the area with a bridge (don't want to get slaughtered burying the dead migrants). Now I got a message spam. I forbid all of the outside bodies, but the message spam is so long! Is there a way to zip through it?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3277 on: September 12, 2010, 06:31:57 pm »

Another one, does the job "Make bronze gauntlets/Greaves" or anything with two parts to it in general, really, make two of the item, or one?

Basically, does it make a set or half a set of the object?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 12, 2010, 06:32:56 pm »

Possibly go to '{o}rders' and press "g" to make it set to "Dwarves ignore bodies"

@Seriyu: It makes a matching pair.

Currently my militia commander is holding two shields and a pick in her left hand, how do I force her to drop the pick and a shield?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:12:28 pm by Jacob/Lee »

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 12, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »

Does anyone know if foxes are able to be tamed? I have a couple hundred sitting in a stock pile is all...

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: September 12, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »

Message spam! I keep getting "can't put in tomb" because I sealed off the area with a bridge (don't want to get slaughtered burying the dead migrants). Now I got a message spam. I forbid all of the outside bodies, but the message spam is so long! Is there a way to zip through it?

Hit "a" to view all announcements.  When you leave that screen, it'll stop displaying the old messages.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:50 pm »

Where in the legends can I find priests?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: September 12, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »

What do you do with bodies if you have a lot of them? I'm tired of building and wasting space with coffins. Can I just dump them in a pit and fill it with magma?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: September 12, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »

Can I potentially lose an adamantine ore if an unskilled miner digs it?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 12, 2010, 07:30:16 pm »

Can I potentially lose an adamantine ore if an unskilled miner digs it?
Yes.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 1178