Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118539 times)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3255 on: September 12, 2010, 12:50:48 am »

A chest, box, or bag to store his items.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Coffer

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: September 12, 2010, 01:00:26 am »

He already has some in his room. It says in the noble menu that all requirements have been met. Does he need one in his tomb, too?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: September 12, 2010, 01:03:23 am »

Once he's dead, you'll want to assign his quarters to another dwarf. When that happens, all his possessions will be placed in his tomb. If there is noo stroage space, the stuff will just be tossed on the floor. If the floor space is used up, it will continue to be in the way.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:28 am »

He doesn´t exactly need it...
Laurin probably just thought it to be a nice addition,
so that your noble won´t have his possessions lying everywhere in his tomb ;)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:57 am »

He already has some in his room. It says in the noble menu that all requirements have been met. Does he need one in his tomb, too?
No, but when he dies, the dwarves will bring all his possessions to his tomb, unless he has a spouse, and if you don't build containers in the tomb they will scatter his things all over the place.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:55 am »

As of .30.12 there's a known bug with bedroom assignments being ignored, it is reported fixed in .30.13 (which hasn't been released yet).

I have the most hilarious workaround for this. I make a doubly-awesome-royal-bedroom, and make it very near to the main meeting hall, and generally close to everything as possible. Then, since I know dwarves are going to sleep in it anyway, I also double-room it, by making it a Dormitory. Add enough beds for every dwarf in the fortress. Build no other bedrooms. Now the Dwarven Queen is having a Slumber Party!
This was a while back in the thread, I realize, but I just had to say, this is a fkn awesome 'fix'. ;)

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: September 12, 2010, 08:04:36 am »

Can I remove one of a Goblin's lungs without making them die instantly?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: September 12, 2010, 08:26:16 am »

Can I remove one of a Goblin's lungs without making them die instantly?

Sure, with only one lung they just have trouble breathing...
but I wonder how you will take care that only one lung is hit

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: September 12, 2010, 09:49:09 am »

How I get rid of water? I have a drowning chamber fed by a cistern filled from a local river and due to some lever inefficiencies I managed to fill the chamber and the cistern giving me nowhere to drain the chamber into. I don't particularly want to pump it out all over the grass.

I've heard of carving fortifications into the edge of the map - is there any other way? Can I use the river somehow? Or should I just give up and leave it on the grass to evaporate?

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: September 12, 2010, 11:15:24 am »

You can pump the water into the river. I think that a fortification on the edge is the way to go with this unless it's just particularly convenient to use a pump. (you'll need to power it somehow which is generally a bit more annoying than just smoothing a wall and carving a fortification.)
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: September 12, 2010, 11:31:53 am »

When breeding animals, things like size, muscle, and fatness are inherited from parents, right? Is it always inherited from one parent, or is there randomness attached?

I've only once seen an animal reference size, muscle, and fatness and none of them were extreme values. Usually I end up with enormous/fat or gigantic/muscles. Is it possible for an animal to be gigantic with huge muscles and untold amounts of fat?

What exactly do those parameters do? Are they used for butchering returns? Do large/muscled creatures have any combat advantage? Would fat be an advantage or disadvantage in combat?

What about color? I had some orange with black spots giant leopards (or might have been jaguars, I forget) and the female gave birth to three cubs - one of which was white. I checked the raws and sure enough, turns out under the color distributions they had a 1/1000 chance of being white. I assume that since neither parent was white, either color has a CHANCE to be determined by parents and a chance to just pull from the color distribution chart, or it's always pulled from the chart. Anyone have some more insight on this?

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:29 pm »

Mayor is demanding "Decent" study, dining hall and bedroom. His rooms are atm 4x4, smoothed and engraved. Floors walls, objects everything. Hell if I could engrave him I would.
However the holdings he has have still not gone beyond "Standard" (as in it just reads Study, Dining Hall, Bedroom with no prefix).

What else can I do to nudge it up to decent? I'm assuming I'm not that far off...
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: September 12, 2010, 12:22:47 pm »

Adding a Statue sometimes does the job.
Or switch some furniture with encrusted furniture.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: September 12, 2010, 12:24:01 pm »

Aside from engraving...
get him precious metal versions of his furniture,
encrusted with precious gemstones

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: September 12, 2010, 12:35:54 pm »

Even without encrusting with gems, just using higher-quality furniture is often enough.

One easy way to boost room value is, when you're adding "coffers", use bags instead of rock coffers.  You can get a whole lot of quality multipliers on a bag -- you get a multiplier for the weaver's skill, then for the dyer's skill.  Then you can add images to it in cloth, silk and leather, and then you can encrust it with gems....

A high-quality native gold statue is also quite a room value booster, gems or no gems.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 1178