Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118615 times)

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3240 on: September 11, 2010, 11:15:21 pm »

Will someone please answer my question? I need to know if this will work. It was if you could move to different squares on the world map from where you embarked in fortress mode.

Not within a single fort, but you can abandon and settle new tiles over time.  In theory, you could wipe out all the other civilizations this way but it would take a very, very long time.  I'm not sure if it would work, as a matter of fact.  However, with the way things work now I believe the dwarves will ultimately dominate the world no matter what if you play long enough on the same world.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:17:44 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:12 pm »

Alright, here's some things that've been bugging me since 40d:

What does that little red dashed line next to the goblins mean on the world map screen? 

"At war" I think.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: September 11, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »

What is a good item (preferably renewable) to trade? I'm thinking glass crafts, but perhaps there is something of glass that is more valuable.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: September 11, 2010, 11:51:06 pm »

What is a good item (preferably renewable) to trade? I'm thinking glass crafts, but perhaps there is something of glass that is more valuable.

Glass Serrated Discs, presumably clear is more valuable than green, but you probably want to get a decent size tree-farm going for that.

Also, don't forget to cut some "raw glass" & encrust it onto them...

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: September 11, 2010, 11:52:47 pm »

Alright, here's some things that've been bugging me since 40d:

What does that little red dashed line next to the goblins mean on the world map screen? 

"At war" I think.

Nah, "At War" gets a red "WAR", I think the dashed line is Unfriendly/Hostile (=No Caravans).

So people have reportedly done embarks without that line & gotten Gobbo Caravans (this may just be a rumour though).

Edit: Sorry didn't realise both replies were going into the same thread... :(

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: September 11, 2010, 11:56:47 pm »

The "goblin caravans" thing certainly isn't just a rumour, as I've gotten that behaviour in the past, as well as getting a "No trade" state with them. I think it has something to do with civ ethics, which are the backbone of whether actual wars (not general hostility) start or end and such, as I've only managed to get it to happen consistently with modded civs.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: September 12, 2010, 12:18:42 am »

Question: I started using magma to clear out all the garbage left by ambushes (and setting fire to the entire forest).  I've noticed that copper and bronze objects, which are not magma-safe, melt into lumps of their respective metals.  So I get something like "This is a copper."  Does melting this lump give me the same amount of material back as melting the original item?
Whoa, seriously? And here I was expecting those items to just vanish into thin magma.

Try melting them; if it lets you, that is awesome. Get back to us on that.

Yup, you can definitely melt them.  I'm pretty sure I don't get a full bar for each of those: a stack of what I'm assuming were arrows melted into 36 silver lumps.  When that was melted in turn, I got back fractional amounts (as in, not 36 silver bars).  Still very cool.  Additionally, the fire from the magma got rid of all the clothes and other trash strewn about (didn't expect that, but it does make sense).

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: September 12, 2010, 12:22:27 am »

How do I designate a coffin to be used by a specific noble (mayor)? I want to bury him in a golden coffin after he dies.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:32 am »

How do I designate a coffin to be used by a specific noble (mayor)? I want to bury him in a golden coffin after he dies.
Place the coffin in an extra room and design a tomb to your dwarf (q over the coffin). When the dwarf dies he will retain all of his thingies, so it is a good idea to place a coffin and coffer in that tomb too.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: September 12, 2010, 12:38:49 am »

use "q" to assign it like a bedroom or office

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: September 12, 2010, 12:42:46 am »

Stone crafts and prepared meals.

The good thing about prepared meals is...
you can buy the raw materials from usually every caravan (or grow them yourself...animal breeding or farm plots)
experienced cooks can turn them into something that is worth several times the worth of the raw materials
and of course, meals are also essential for the mental and physical well being of your dwarves

;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:46:12 am by Proteus »

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: September 12, 2010, 12:43:45 am »

Place the coffin in an extra room and design a tomb to your dwarf (q over the coffin). When the dwarf dies he will retain all of his thingies, so it is a good idea to place a coffin and coffer in that tomb too.

Coffer? He has a room on a different z-level with everything he needs including golden doors and furniture.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: September 12, 2010, 12:44:09 am »

Glass Serrated Discs, presumably clear is more valuable than green, but you probably want to get a decent size tree-farm going for that.

The giant trap component? Caravans buy that? I mostly want to use it to trade for steel bars and items since I have no way to make steel on my volcano map (no flux).

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: September 12, 2010, 12:44:45 am »

Coffer? He has a room on a different z-level with everything he needs including golden doors and furniture.

Not anymore when he is dead. ^^

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: September 12, 2010, 12:45:14 am »

Not anymore when he is dead. ^^

What is a coffer?
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1178