Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118643 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3225 on: September 11, 2010, 02:04:37 pm »

Seems to be close to the next version.
And yes, very probably you can use saves from .12 in .13

jogar2

• Bay Watcher
  • It's just like a mini-mall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: September 11, 2010, 02:32:39 pm »

I'm fairly certain everything in 0.31 (DF2010) is going to be save compatible.

(considering how many hours I've sunk into my 0.31 fort, here's to hoping that version has a long, long life!)  :o

Geeny

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: September 11, 2010, 03:17:37 pm »

Does melee combat take elevation into account? For example, in adventure mode, if a cougar is standing on a ramp tile, and looks to be one z level below me, and I am on flat land next to the ramp tile, do I do more damage? I looked in the wiki on combat, but they didn't say anything about elevation.
I <3 Math

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: September 11, 2010, 04:43:17 pm »

Is it possible to heal nervous system damage in any way?

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 11, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »

As of .30.12 there's a known bug with bedroom assignments being ignored, it is reported fixed in .30.13 (which hasn't been released yet).

I have the most hilarious workaround for this. I make a doubly-awesome-royal-bedroom, and make it very near to the main meeting hall, and generally close to everything as possible. Then, since I know dwarves are going to sleep in it anyway, I also double-room it, by making it a Dormitory. Add enough beds for every dwarf in the fortress. Build no other bedrooms. Now the Dwarven Queen is having a Slumber Party!
I am doing this same thing in my current fortress except with my hospital. Centrally located right smack in the middle of the fort under the meeting hall with massive amounts of wealth intended to go into it. Also putting a series of four mist generators at the four entrances to it because why the hell not. Cover both the hospital/dormitory and the meeting hall above it, hells yes.

Bao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 11, 2010, 05:23:16 pm »

Can you move from one world map embark square to another? I plan to go around destroying the world population.  8)
This conversation is about 3x as bad as any in the mermaid thread. We are discussing which race of children works best as a weapon.

dukestabbington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:45 pm »

Is it possible to delete the name of an alert in the military screen? Backspace doesn't work for me.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: September 11, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »

Is it possible to delete the name of an alert in the military screen? Backspace doesn't work for me.
Try not holding shift? I've found DF does not ignore the modifier, so if I accidentally press shift and backspace at the same time nothing happens. Other than that, I've successfully renamed alert schedules in the past and just did a test one right now; works fine in my game.

dukestabbington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: September 11, 2010, 05:45:58 pm »

I'm definitely not holding shift. When I press backspace, a little triangle appears. When I press delete, I'm pretty sure it just doesn't do anything.

edit: Yeah, confirmed on delete, I just tried it. Also, shift-backspace, caps-backspace, shift-delete, and caps-delete.

edit2: Ok, apparently holding down backspace and then mashing shift causes me to delete things.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:49:57 pm by dukestabbington »

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 11, 2010, 06:07:27 pm »

Is it possible to heal nervous system damage in any way?

Nerve damage is irreparable*.

*This may very well be a bug, but in one of my games I had a number of dwarves and animals afflicted with nerve damage from forgotten beast extract/blood.  Upon reloading my save, I noticed all damage was gone.

Question: I started using magma to clear out all the garbage left by ambushes (and setting fire to the entire forest).  I've noticed that copper and bronze objects, which are not magma-safe, melt into lumps of their respective metals.  So I get something like "This is a copper."  Does melting this lump give me the same amount of material back as melting the original item?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: September 11, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »

Try it. It may melt into a full bar. I remember something from the pre-2010 "List" saying that a glob of gold could be melted into a bar of gold.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

toue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: September 11, 2010, 09:47:47 pm »

What's a good simple way to weaken goblins? I'm having trouble with my military and I'd like them to have some good practice before the gobbos start seiging.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: September 11, 2010, 09:55:39 pm »

Question: I started using magma to clear out all the garbage left by ambushes (and setting fire to the entire forest).  I've noticed that copper and bronze objects, which are not magma-safe, melt into lumps of their respective metals.  So I get something like "This is a copper."  Does melting this lump give me the same amount of material back as melting the original item?
Whoa, seriously? And here I was expecting those items to just vanish into thin magma.

Try melting them; if it lets you, that is awesome. Get back to us on that.

Bao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 11, 2010, 10:55:47 pm »

Will someone please answer my question? I need to know if this will work. It was if you could move to different squares on the world map from where you embarked in fortress mode.
This conversation is about 3x as bad as any in the mermaid thread. We are discussing which race of children works best as a weapon.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: September 11, 2010, 11:09:53 pm »

Alright, here's some things that've been bugging me since 40d:

What does that little red dashed line next to the goblins mean on the world map screen?   And, for that matter, what do the relative order of the names mean since sometimes they're not in order? (I figure distance, but I'm not sure).

I honestly have no idea and I've been playing for more than a year.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:13:07 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 1178