Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118578 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3195 on: September 10, 2010, 07:28:55 am »

Kill orders don't seem to work at all reliably in my experience.  It's more reliable to order your squad to move to a point near the goblins.  They should automatically attack when they get within line of sight.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: September 10, 2010, 07:59:37 am »

Is it possible for demons/Forgotten Beasts etc to be made out of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: September 10, 2010, 08:06:19 am »

Burrows issue.

Suddenly two of my better craftsdwarfs head out to replace traps in the path of the goblin invasion and Urist McWFT? (fish dissector) heads out with no job to wander the wilderness.

What am I doing wrong? How do I make them just stay in the burrow?

I've heard it said that what a burrow actually means is "Nothing outside of this burrow is usable for any jobs you need to do."  Rather than "You must remain within this burrow."  So, a dwarf with No Job can still go wandering randomly anywhere his stupid little heart leads him.

Clearly the answer to that is to give them more work.  Lazy little nuggets.  For example, it's obviously extremely vital to your fortress that this whole quantum stockpile of mica be moved over there.  Immediately.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: September 10, 2010, 12:17:47 pm »

Is there a way to melt snow in my buildings?

Im in a freezing climate and nothing thaws.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: September 10, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »

Is it possible for demons/Forgotten Beasts etc to be made out of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty certain that this is impossible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: September 10, 2010, 01:04:28 pm »

How dense is bone? Also are artifact weapons always better? I ask because I got a marmot bone war hammer and I am wondering if it's better than my masterwork silver ones.
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: September 10, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »

How do I clean up my militarys normal clothes? They seem to have streaked down the hallway and left spiderisilk clothes everywhere. I told them to store items in the barracks and now it's messier than my room at college in there. I gave them a cabinet but they're not using it!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: September 10, 2010, 04:01:16 pm »

How dense is bone? Also are artifact weapons always better? I ask because I got a marmot bone war hammer and I am wondering if it's better than my masterwork silver ones.

Not very. Yes. Being an Artifact probably doesn't make it sufficiently better to compensate for the complete inappropriateness of the base material, I suggest you whack it in a weapon trap in your dormitory, barracks, or dining hall to make your dorfs happier (by increasing Architectural value) instead of allowing it to be used in combat, or put it somewhere behind a chained animal as bait for thieves.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:00 pm »

Burrows issue.

Suddenly two of my better craftsdwarfs head out to replace traps in the path of the goblin invasion and Urist McWFT? (fish dissector) heads out with no job to wander the wilderness.

What am I doing wrong? How do I make them just stay in the burrow?

I've heard it said that what a burrow actually means is "Nothing outside of this burrow is usable for any jobs you need to do."  Rather than "You must remain within this burrow."  So, a dwarf with No Job can still go wandering randomly anywhere his stupid little heart leads him.

Clearly the answer to that is to give them more work.  Lazy little nuggets.  For example, it's obviously extremely vital to your fortress that this whole quantum stockpile of mica be moved over there.  Immediately.

Thanks.  Could explain things. Still, lost 4 dwarves (two militia, two random fisherdwarves) in the battle, and immediately got 23 migrants, so am actually ahead of where I started....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3204 on: September 10, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »

Are wrestlers worth the training time taken? Or would just equipping them with a bronze weapon be better? basically, do they actually manage to do damage to invaders, or just run up and get the crud kicked out of them?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: September 10, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »

Does the top of fortifications need a floor? If I build a wall one z-level below, the upper z-level shows a floor. What about fortifications? Do I need to add a floor on top of the fortification to make my fortress airtight? Is there a test for airtightness?

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: September 10, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »

How do I clean up my militarys normal clothes? They seem to have streaked down the hallway and left spiderisilk clothes everywhere. I told them to store items in the barracks and now it's messier than my room at college in there. I gave them a cabinet but they're not using it!

Try forbidding anything that already in the barracks.  I've noticed dwarfs tend to store the same clothes over and over instead of getting different ones from someplace else.  Same goes for the cabinet, forbid anything on the same tile.   

Does the top of fortifications need a floor? If I build a wall one z-level below, the upper z-level shows a floor. What about fortifications? Do I need to add a floor on top of the fortification to make my fortress airtight? Is there a test for airtightness?

If you build a Fortification, the level above it won't have a floor.  But, you can build a wall, then carve a fortification into it, and it will keep the floor above it. 

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: September 10, 2010, 06:53:46 pm »

I know it has no floor, but does that make it not airtight against flying enemies?

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: September 10, 2010, 10:09:57 pm »

As far as I know, a flying unit won't move into a tile with a fortification, either from above, or from the side like any other unit.  Falling creatures will land in the same tile, and if they survive, will move to any valid tile next to them. 

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: September 10, 2010, 10:37:44 pm »

As far as I know, a flying unit won't move into a tile with a fortification, either from above, or from the side like any other unit.  Falling creatures will land in the same tile, and if they survive, will move to any valid tile next to them.

Can they move diagonally through z-levels?
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 1178