Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118593 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3180 on: September 09, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »

If I build multiple Trade Depots (e.g. 1 near each corner of the map), will it bork things up? or will caravans just go whichever is closest that has an open path?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:26 pm »

I beleive that it confuses the merchants.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3182 on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:21 pm »

So, had a goblin attack, did pretty well, but a few of my dwarves are bedridden. Most of them made it to the hospital but there are still two or three that are stuck in the barracks beds. Will they be moved to the hospital on their own, or do I need to do something?

There's plenty of room in the hospital, I can't really think of a reason they haven't been carried there.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:48 am »

Why not just dump items instead of using stockpiles? Seems easier to dump a few rocks near a smith or mason, get rid of the dump zone and have him use all that instead of building a stockpile to hold all of the rocks. Dump stockpiles are actually piled much higher rather than stockpiles and without using bins/barrels.

feroxium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: September 10, 2010, 12:12:32 am »

I have a tame cat in a cage on a stockpile, but can't set him free to adopt him or use him as vermin catcher...

When i use k, it displays: "(cat cage (lead))", when I press enter, it displays the contents of the cage: "Stray Cat (Tame)"; but no option to set him free.
When i use q, it displays the query for the stockpile, with the options to customize the stockpile filters.

Can anyone help me get my cat?  :'(

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: September 10, 2010, 12:25:01 am »

You have to build the cage first then hook it up to a lever.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: September 10, 2010, 12:31:51 am »

You have to build the cage first then hook it up to a lever.

you only need to build the cage and then use 'q' to unassign the cat from it, no need for levers.

feroxium

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: September 10, 2010, 01:09:16 am »

Ah, BUILD the cage, like a bed or a statue... never thought of that. Thanks!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: September 10, 2010, 02:55:56 am »

Oh well, looks like I'll have to try the alternate plan to reduce visitor vulnerability (Entrances to a labyrinth at each corner & the middle of each side, default path being rather long, but with shorter routes possible if I choose to open them).

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: September 10, 2010, 03:02:20 am »

Oh well, looks like I'll have to try the alternate plan to reduce visitor vulnerability (Entrances to a labyrinth at each corner & the middle of each side, default path being rather long, but with shorter routes possible if I choose to open them).

if you forbid the trade depots you aren't using, you are usually in the clear.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: September 10, 2010, 03:25:13 am »

You can control access to the tunnels leading to your trade depot by using bridges connected to levers, which lead over moats (ideally without water...invaders sometimes have mounts that can swim) and raising/lowering the bridges as it seems necessary.
Coupled with one or more chained animals at the tunnel entrances, as well as  some regions with traps / spikes this should be a rather secure thing ;)  (I often use similar strategies for the secondary/tertiary entrances into my fortress)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: September 10, 2010, 03:50:49 am »

You can control access to the tunnels leading to your trade depot by using bridges connected to levers, which lead over moats (ideally without water...invaders sometimes have mounts that can swim) and raising/lowering the bridges as it seems necessary.
Coupled with one or more chained animals at the tunnel entrances, as well as  some regions with traps / spikes this should be a rather secure thing ;)  (I often use similar strategies for the secondary/tertiary entrances into my fortress)
Yeah, that's Plan B (actually, it was part of Plan A too, but I figured having Trade Depots close to where the caravans spawned on the map would mean they'd arrive & depart rapidly, even when carrying heavy goods).

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: September 10, 2010, 04:11:56 am »

Yeah, that's Plan B (actually, it was part of Plan A too, but I figured having Trade Depots close to where the caravans spawned on the map would mean they'd arrive & depart rapidly, even when carrying heavy goods).

The probable problem with this plan is IMHO, that your dwarves first have to carry the stuff they want to trade to the depot...
might take some time, especially if you not only have a few bins with stonecrafts you want to trade, but also a lot of armor/clothes, left by goblin invaders (not to forget the fact that the things you buy also have to be carried back to various stockpiles in your fortress)
(which is why I usually do it the other way round...central depot, near all important stockpiles...less time that my dwarves waste with carrying things to the trade depot [and afterwards back from the depot to my various stockpiles] and more time they have to party or do other important things ;) )

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: September 10, 2010, 07:05:25 am »

Burrows issue.

I thought I finally had the hang of them, and for the previous two sieges, all dwarves head inside and are safe.  Now, alert activated, confine civilians to burrows - sweet.  Suddenly two of my better craftsdwarfs head out to replace traps in the path of the goblin invasion and Urist McWFT? (fish dissector) heads out with no job to wander the wilderness.

What am I doing wrong? How do I make them just stay in the burrow?

Just managed it, actually - no idea how.  Issue now is when I order the nicely assembled squads to kill the goblins just over there, they all sprint inside, away from the goblins, except for poor old Dekol, now mincemeat.  Suggestions?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: September 10, 2010, 07:19:02 am »

If you're giving a kill command you might want to check what the supplies orders are for your squads, and whether they wear their gear all the time or only when on active duty. If you have a 'carry 2 food' or 'carry any drink', etc, command for them then before they do anything you tell them to, they'll go to a stockpile and pick up the supplies first, as well as their armor if they're not in that already.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 1178