Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118437 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3165 on: September 08, 2010, 07:51:47 am »

Sure you can.
But the  state of the connected object will be set to lever's state. That means, if two levers linked to one bridge, first pulled lever raises it, second does nothing, and then second pull of any lever lowers the bridge.
Except for gear assembly, it triggers its state to the opposite each time you trigger anything that connected to it.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Impudence12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: September 08, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »

My farm has become unmuddiable. I noticed the mud fading away. Now even with repeated irrigation the mud does not return. I have not smoothed the floors. Also does higher traffic on the farm tiles cause the mud to be tracked elsewhere? This isn't the first time I've lost mud for no expected reason.

New information. I just removed the farm, and I noticed that I did have the farm designated to be smoothed (this happened after I smoothed the walls initially, probably mass smoothed a couple floors) That being said they have yet to smooth them. Would just designating the floors to be smoothed cause dwarves to clean them? Can they clean the mud from under the water?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:42:28 pm by Impudence12 »
♪ This used to be a Funhouse ♫
♫ But now it's full of evil clowns ♪
♪ It's time to start the countdown ♫
♫ I'm gonna burn it down, down, down ♪

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: September 08, 2010, 02:32:32 pm »

My farm has become unmuddiable. I noticed the mud fading away. Now even with repeated irrigation the mud does not return. I have not smoothed the floors. Also does higher traffic on the farm tiles cause the mud to be tracked elsewhere? This isn't the first time I've lost mud for no expected reason.

DF 40d had the concept of mud being tracked everywhere (although this meant just a multiplication of the mud ;)
in DF 2010 however you only spread blood (and maybe vomit) by walking through it

MycoRunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: September 08, 2010, 08:20:06 pm »

Little Question:

On the upper left side of the screen, on the border that surrounds the game, there are usually one or two letters of different colors. Right now it says "S" and "C," I think. What are these?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: September 08, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »

Those are combat reports that can be read with the "r" key. A green H means that one of your hunters is fighting something. A red C means that someone has been attacked or attacked someone. A blue S represents sparring Reports.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: September 08, 2010, 11:26:37 pm »

Those are combat reports that can be read with the "r" key. A green H means that one of your hunters is fighting something. A red C means that someone has been attacked or attacked someone. A blue S represents sparring Reports.

it only shows me a a building list, where can I see the combat logs?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: September 09, 2010, 12:18:49 am »

I'm building a set of 6 wells next to each other to provide my fortress with a limitless supply of water even after it gets populated by more dwarves. I drilled down to the cavern and all that's left is to place a floodgate, open it, carve a fortification and let the area flood. However, the area is filled with rocks and ores that have been falling down since I started digging. How do I quickly get rid of all of the items in these 6 squares by moving them elsewhere? I don't want to get "can't reach item" for the rest of the game.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: September 09, 2010, 12:40:47 am »

designate them for mass dumping after putting a dump zone as close as possible without actually being in the reservoir.

remember to unforbid them afterwards (& I understand you may have to re-enable them in the economic stones menu too).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: September 09, 2010, 12:41:34 am »

it only shows me a a building list, where can I see the combat logs?

The reports are under "r", not "R". Unless you've changed your keybidings.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GannonDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Ganondorf wasn't a gerudo... he was a dwarf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: September 09, 2010, 02:00:40 am »

What type of hauling do ballista and catapault parts fall under?
I want my siege enginner to take a break from producing ballista parts and de-clutter his workshop, but I've tried all of the hauling options and none of them have convinced him to move his ballista parts one square down to the ballista/catapault/ballista arrow only stockpile.
Urist McHandsome cancels Clothe Self: Too sexy for this shirt
Urist McHandsome cancels Clothe Self: Too sexy for this shirt
Urist McHandsome gives in to the pain!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: September 09, 2010, 02:48:07 am »

They are under furniture

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3176 on: September 09, 2010, 07:32:15 am »

What determines how much wind power will be generated on a site?  Is there any way for me to tell when choosing an embark how much power a windmill will generate without having to actually embark and build one?  I have a grand engineering project in mind that requires windmills to generate 40 power, and I'd like to have some way of telling if a site will be suitable without having to repeatedly embark and build test windmills.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:40 am »

What determines how much wind power will be generated on a site?  Is there any way for me to tell when choosing an embark how much power a windmill will generate without having to actually embark and build one?  I have a grand engineering project in mind that requires windmills to generate 40 power, and I'd like to have some way of telling if a site will be suitable without having to repeatedly embark and build test windmills.
I searched for that the other day - unfortunately there sems to be no way to determine whether your map will have wind or not.
The wiki says:
A windmill provides 0, 20 or 40 power - it depends on the "wind" on your map, you either have it or you don't - it's constant across a map and time, and you don't know until you build your first windmill.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Machinery#ixzz0z2HWy4Tx

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: September 09, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »

I searched for that the other day - unfortunately there sems to be no way to determine whether your map will have wind or not.
The wiki says:
A windmill provides 0, 20 or 40 power - it depends on the "wind" on your map, you either have it or you don't - it's constant across a map and time, and you don't know until you build your first windmill.

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Machinery#ixzz0z2HWy4Tx

Now ay to know. but the wiki is slightly wrong. Unless it's changed since 30d, I've had wind be different from biome to biome.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: September 09, 2010, 05:53:54 pm »

Arg can someone tell me how to get the worldgen seed of a world in 31.12?

EDIT: Nevermind I didn't see the text file appear.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1178