Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118568 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3135 on: September 07, 2010, 03:26:53 pm »

I embarked near a volcano. Theres a fireman in it, some 51 z-levels down. Can he get to me? Should I be worried? Literally just embarked.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: September 07, 2010, 03:33:38 pm »

I embarked near a volcano. Theres a fireman in it, some 51 z-levels down. Can he get to me? Should I be worried? Literally just embarked.

Yes, wall off the volcano top until your ready to floor it over/use it. There is a chance though that at that distance he'll just ignore you.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:58 pm »

I have a mangled wooden bucket, it's showing wear in the same way clothes do (XX), and is described as such in the description.  Any idea what would have caused that or do wooden items also wear out over time?

Temperature can damage things.  Definitely fire, but extreme heat or cold can also cause damage.   High heat can cause damage before it ignites something, or it could have caught fire but been put out by water before it was destroyed. 

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3138 on: September 07, 2010, 03:57:22 pm »

I have a mangled wooden bucket, it's showing wear in the same way clothes do (XX), and is described as such in the description.  Any idea what would have caused that or do wooden items also wear out over time?
Was the bucket part of a well that was destroyed by a tantrum or building destroyer?  Components of destroyed buildings can sometimes themselves be damaged in the process.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: September 07, 2010, 04:05:46 pm »

I have a fireman uncomfortably near my fortress. What's the best way to kill it? The traditional dwarven response, loads upon loads of armok-loving magma, appears ineffective in this instance.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: September 07, 2010, 04:08:19 pm »

I have a fireman uncomfortably near my fortress. What's the best way to kill it? The traditional dwarven response, loads upon loads of armok-loving magma, appears ineffective in this instance.

For full effect, combine magma with water on source of the problem.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: September 07, 2010, 04:31:04 pm »

Alternatives in case of my "Hot" biome and lack of aquafir/brook/stream/river/ocean?

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: September 07, 2010, 04:51:07 pm »

Alternatives in case of my "Hot" biome and lack of aquafir/brook/stream/river/ocean?

Good old fashioned steel. Lets hope the sons of the mountains are not found wanting.

Many many many many many traps may also proove effective.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 07, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »

The caverns have no water sources? (or is this 40d?) wow. Uhm... cisterns fed by draining down off the sides of "muddy pools" as they are filled during rainfall? If literally no water, then you'll have to move to backups:
b) cage trap
c) one-use cave-in traps
d) fortification-walled-pens with lots and lots of arrows/bolts.
e) involves "letting the caravan guards deal with it"
f) many spike repeater traps (A K A - the dwarven blender)
g) is "contriving to get it to be caught by a magma-safe cage trap even though it is trapavoid" (it is possible, even with trapavoid enemies... just really really annoying to pull off). option G is really not that great an idea if you don't really really want this beast in a cage.
h) the "lever-opened cage filled with wardogs" - seal the room after setting up the cage.
i) the "lever-opened cage filled with wardogsbears" - same as above
j) ...spam weapon traps? (ick)
k) the extremely-unlikely-but-not-unheard-of "Friendly Megabeast/Titan" - note: don't let FriendlyFang the Dwarven Enforcer of Pointy Justice get killed by the 5 goblin ambushes outside.

...did I miss any?

Good old fashioned steel. Lets hope the sons of the mountains are not found wanting.

Oh. Right. that option. I call that "Option F-that".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:04:22 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 07, 2010, 05:01:58 pm »

I'm currently designing a magma drowning chamber for my new fort and I'm trying to automate it, but I have a couple questions with regards to pressure plates. Essentially, if you have six pressure plates linking up to the same set of hatches and two (or more) of those pressure plates have their activation requirements fulfilled (enemy standing on them), what is the status of the hatches? Are the hatches open if any of the pressure plates are activated, or would having two pressure plates active result in a double negative, closing the hatches?

Alternatively, what is the best way to automate a magma drowning chamber? My current design entails having six pressure plates at the end of the hallway attached to eight hatches each covering the intake of the pumps that fill the chamber. A separate channel in the middle of the hallway ensures that the triggering creature is stuck on the pressure plate area, preventing situations where the goblins get stuck but won't stand on the pressure plates long enough to fully immerse the corridor in magma. Situation would go like this:
1. Goblins show up
2. I throw the lever to 'prime' the machine and provide power to the hallway pumps (the machine would normally be off to prevent goblin snatchers from causing surprise lava-baths on citizens)
3. The hallway pumps pump air as the goblins approach.
4. One (or more) goblins reach the end of the hallway, activates a pressure plate raising the hatches on each of the hallway pump's intake valves, instantly flooding the ditches and preventing passage.
5. The hallway fills up until all goblins are incinerated, deactivating the pressure plate, returning the hallway pumps to pumping air instead of magma.
6. I throw the lever to dump the magma back into the reservoir, and the machine is reset.

Floor hatches over intake channels were chosen due to their instantaneous response upon activation. Floodgates would take a lot longer, potentially allowing a goblin into my dining hall. And that would be bad.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3145 on: September 07, 2010, 05:35:16 pm »

Pressure plates send open and close signals once only when their triggering conditions are met or not met.  So a pressure plate set to trigger with water of level 7 will send an 'open' command once to whatever it's connect to once when the water reaches 7, and then will do nothing until the water level drops below 7.  Devices connected to pressure plates will obey the last command they were sent.  Devices with delays in their activation will ignore open/close commands during the delay period, so if a floodgate gets an open command from a pressure plate it will ignore open or close commands from other pressure plates during the 100 steps it takes to open.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: September 07, 2010, 05:42:28 pm »

Another question: Will proximity to magma increase water's rate of evaporation? If I, say, make a water reactor directly above a magma reservoir, will it evaporate faster than normal?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: September 07, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »

I havent had any caravans in a few years AND I've never been attacked. It's odd.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3148 on: September 07, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »

I havent had any caravans in a few years AND I've never been attacked. It's odd.

It's possible goblins are extinct in your current world. When choosing your embark site, hit the TAB key a few times and you'll get a list of the local civilizations.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: September 07, 2010, 09:49:28 pm »

Could someone inform me as to how I access the Combat Report screen, also, there is a red C, a green H, and a blue S running down the left border, what is that all about?
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 1178