Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118763 times)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3120 on: September 06, 2010, 04:16:49 pm »

How long does an indefatigable dwarf last before he has to sleep?
It's been a season now, and my mason still isn't sleeping.
I want to make sure what happened before(Falling asleep on the magma) doesn't happen now.
EDIT: He fell asleep after 1 and a half seasons. DAMN!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 04:37:37 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: September 06, 2010, 08:54:54 pm »

Can I make my dwarves not cancel a process (repeating) just because they don't have the materials? I have guys collecting sand and glassmakers making glass blocks. The idea is that the bags are emptied and made usable for the collectors, and then filled and made usable for the glassmakers. However, unless I have an exact 1:1 timed glassmake:bag fill ratio, one of them will cancel their repeating task if he runs out of free bags or runs out of bags filled with sand, respectively. Is there a way to just keep the process running even if they do run out once in a while?

No, sadly. All you can do is have lots and lots of bags available.

Actually, if you make sure there is a reasonable amount of spare bags, and each glassworks has 5 "job slots" filled with "collect sand" on repeat, with the other 5 filled with whatever you want made on repeat, then as long as no dwarves steal empty bags for other purposes*, then you should have glass/sand parity and all will be well. Theoretically. It's good to have some spare sand bags and empties on hand in case of slipups either way.

I usually set the 5 collect jobs on repeat and use the job manager to fill the remaining slots with what I actually want made.

* NOTE: taking the empties off to a stockpile counts as "stealing empty bags for other purposes". Don't have your stockpiles accept bags. sandy, or empty. nothing good ever comes of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:56:33 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: September 06, 2010, 09:20:14 pm »

http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace/

"Miners dig down to the aquifer; if they dig any further they will flood the nascent fortress.  Digging continues, creating a floating "plug" of dirt that is supported only by a wooden arm.  When the plug is completely dug out, the support arm is chopped down.  The plug falls into the aquifer.  A bridge is built accross and there is now a safe vertical shaft through the aquifer to the dry stone below"

Is this possible?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: September 06, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »

is there a way to mark all my animals for slaughter, without doing it individually?

Also my armour had a stange mood and made a golden gauntlet, is it better than iron?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 11:14:21 pm by Zidane »
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3124 on: September 07, 2010, 04:08:51 am »

So, the captain of the guard is wearing two iron mail shirts, in an attempt to get him to wear a breastplate and mail shirt at the same time gone bad. I've forbidden mail shirts, and he's still wearing them.

How do I get him to take them off and put a breastplate on?

And is there a hassle free way of getting a mail shirt under a breastplate?

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: September 07, 2010, 05:24:39 am »

is there a way to mark all my animals for slaughter, without doing it individually?

Also my armour had a stange mood and made a golden gauntlet, is it better than iron?
None that I am aware of. No, Iron is better than Gold. Order of "goodyness":
Adamantium (duh)
Steel
Bronze
Iron
Copper

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: September 07, 2010, 05:45:37 am »

Go to your z menu, enter the Animals menu, and you can mass mark for slaughter from the list.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: September 07, 2010, 06:14:46 am »

Do any items of armour take more than one bar of their material? As in, would a steel breastplate take 3 steel bars whereas a gauntlet would only take 1? Or do they all only take one steel bar?

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: September 07, 2010, 07:18:55 am »

Do any items of armour take more than one bar of their material? As in, would a steel breastplate take 3 steel bars whereas a gauntlet would only take 1? Or do they all only take one steel bar?

Yes and no.  Some are supposed to, but there's a bug where everything only uses 1 bar.  You also need to have the required number of bars available, so if it takes 3 and you only have 2 left it won't work, but that shouldn't effect anything until your almost out.

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:00 am »

Go to your z menu, enter the Animals menu, and you can mass mark for slaughter from the list.
I thought that was what he was doing? You still have to select them individually.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:35 am »

Question: Been getting this error & causes DF to crash upon embark...

Midmap effective coordinate check out of bounds

Soooo....any ideas?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: September 07, 2010, 02:03:17 pm »

I seem to still have that old bug where wrestling dwarves scatter clothes all over the barracks (in this case, leather clothing that's part of their uniform). Any way to fix this problem and get them to put it back on?

I seem to have one dwarf in particular who keeps trying to pick up the equipment then being unable to.

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go to the military screen, then on to equip, then to new uniform. Here you can create your own Uniform, set it to replace, and assign it later to any squad(or single soldier), in your case, to the Captain of the Guard. Play around with the many options on the uniform creation, and uniform equiping, you can set up the materials of the armors, and many other things. Have fun!
Loving life every second

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: September 07, 2010, 02:31:43 pm »

I have a mangled wooden bucket, it's showing wear in the same way clothes do (XX), and is described as such in the description.  Any idea what would have caused that or do wooden items also wear out over time?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3134 on: September 07, 2010, 02:40:29 pm »

Ahhh, so that's what that does. I had it set on over clothing. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 1178