Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118742 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3105 on: September 05, 2010, 11:46:08 pm »

Artifacts cannot be traded.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3106 on: September 06, 2010, 12:02:38 am »

Aaaaahhhh, I see. Thanks again.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: September 06, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

Can I make my dwarves not cancel a process (repeating) just because they don't have the materials? I have guys collecting sand and glassmakers making glass blocks. The idea is that the bags are emptied and made usable for the collectors, and then filled and made usable for the glassmakers. However, unless I have an exact 1:1 timed glassmake:bag fill ratio, one of them will cancel their repeating task if he runs out of free bags or runs out of bags filled with sand, respectively. Is there a way to just keep the process running even if they do run out once in a while?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: September 06, 2010, 01:28:20 am »

If I need to get a huge pump stack working, is it possible to do it with pump operator dwarves? It's designed to pump magma and I don't really need windmills since I only need to fill the magma pool once. How much does each dwarf generate?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: September 06, 2010, 02:00:53 am »

If I need to get a huge pump stack working, is it possible to do it with pump operator dwarves? It's designed to pump magma and I don't really need windmills since I only need to fill the magma pool once. How much does each dwarf generate?

For a one off, it may be quicker to read this thread

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: September 06, 2010, 02:04:10 am »

How do I get an item count? Let's say I want to know the total number of green glass tubes on the map. I can do this with blocks or bricks by going into the build menu, but what about tubes and other non-construction items?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: September 06, 2010, 02:35:26 am »

How do I get an item count? Let's say I want to know the total number of green glass tubes on the map. I can do this with blocks or bricks by going into the build menu, but what about tubes and other non-construction items?
z-Stocks menu
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: September 06, 2010, 04:19:28 am »

It's possible. But highly improbably you'll get them to work the pumps in order unless you do it with one pumper, and do it ONE LEVEL AT A TIME, ARGH! so annoying. They will run the pumps while dry, so if you don't have a dwarf for each separate level, then it will likely catch. Don't got me wrone, I've done it for a few levels, when desperate. turning on one pump at a time to get it moved up. But it sucks.

For a one off, it may be quicker to read this thread

Ohgod. Faster, but horribly inneficient and prone to killing everything.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: September 06, 2010, 05:37:24 am »

Hi

Not sure if it's a bug, a feature, or something already covered (searches gave me nothing), but whenever I zone a hospital greater than about 5x5, the game crashes.  Any ideas if this is a normal thing, or if I've got something weird happening?

Just lost a 5 year old fortress after fighting off a siege in a cunning network of tunnels - sigh...

5 year old fortress and no backup files?

Yes, but the anguish of going through the siege again isn't worth it.  Started a new fortress on the side of a volcano. Magma = Awesome!!! I'm thinking of going all Boatmurdered on the next goblin siege...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: September 06, 2010, 06:26:05 am »

Dwarf.  Injuries.  Infection.  Even though I have many expert medical types, bucketloads of soap, and all the gizmos, the dwarf is going to die of infection, like all the others.  But this one's my legendary miner.  How do I get this fixed??? Many, many threads about this issue with no solution. 

Can we just get rid of soap, as it's unnecessarily complicated, buggy, produces too much spam and doesn't seem to work anyway?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: September 06, 2010, 11:39:09 am »

You know, people can get over infections. My legendary miner had an infection, as welll as two shattered bones that were treated by a doctor whose only medical skill was Diagnosticism. He had "slow to heal" as a trait, so I started making his coffin. Then one day he got up and went back to mining. Few seasons later, his injuries and infection were gone.

Of course, he later drowned when trying to set up an execution chamber... Sigh.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: September 06, 2010, 12:30:10 pm »

Anyone know of a tool that lets you easily see the relationships dwarves formed between each other?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #3117 on: September 06, 2010, 12:48:19 pm »

Can I make my dwarves not cancel a process (repeating) just because they don't have the materials? I have guys collecting sand and glassmakers making glass blocks. The idea is that the bags are emptied and made usable for the collectors, and then filled and made usable for the glassmakers. However, unless I have an exact 1:1 timed glassmake:bag fill ratio, one of them will cancel their repeating task if he runs out of free bags or runs out of bags filled with sand, respectively. Is there a way to just keep the process running even if they do run out once in a while?

No, sadly. All you can do is have lots and lots of bags available.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: September 06, 2010, 01:59:58 pm »

I've captured 3 hippos(Mass cage traps) and I need to know what to use to tame them.
Anybody know?
*Posted on here just in case*
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: September 06, 2010, 04:13:04 pm »

-snip-

You can use the Manager tool (an in-game process provided by Toady) to have jobs automatically assigned in spite of missing materials, assigning up to 30 at a time. This requires a little macro-management, but you can set several orders for 30 of each and only return to it when they start running down.

There are numerous problems with the manager that you may find less annoying than the ones you already have. It will eliminate the need to constantly recreate your /R jobs when they cancel, but you will have to periodically stack up more orders as the existing ones are filled. The job manager will re-assign canceled jobs until each order is completed. The main problem is that he will indiscriminately assign them to all available workshops capable of filling them, so your master-craftsman-only window-making glass furnace or whatever might get clogged with sand bagging orders.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1178