Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118805 times)

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3075 on: September 04, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »

Are steel weapons a LOT more effective against goblins than iron weapons? I think goblins carry iron. Does steel make a huge difference?

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: September 04, 2010, 04:35:37 pm »

Are steel weapons a LOT more effective against goblins than iron weapons? I think goblins carry iron. Does steel make a huge difference?

Steel makes a HUGE difference, iron is one of the weakest metals now, only very slightly better then copper (at some things).

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: September 04, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »

Steel is the best metal for blades and armor short of adamantine, and it can be easily mass-produced. Iron is ridiculously weak, as mentioned, and won't even ding steel. Full steel armor and weapons makes a dwarf a real threat.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: September 04, 2010, 05:34:59 pm »

I downloaded Df a few hours ago and I'm having a really hard time understanding things, so please bear with me.

I can't figure out for to tell my dwarfs to do things like cut wood, or gather water. I also can't figure out for to use the points when I started the game. In short, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: September 04, 2010, 06:09:57 pm »

I currently have my main burrow designated but I'd like to make it bigger and span more zlevs. When I goto the burrow screen and select that burrow, do I have to re add the part i already designated or will I simply be adding on to what I already selected? I hope I'm describing what I'm trying to do correctly. Sorry if im not.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: September 04, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »

Zidane
There are two tutorials stickied at the top of this forum.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28477.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0

These should help./
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: September 04, 2010, 08:59:59 pm »

Zidane
There are two tutorials stickied at the top of this forum.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28477.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31928.0

These should help./

Thanks, I feel stupid right now.

EDIT

I feel even stupider, it all makes sense now!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:16:13 pm by Zidane »
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: September 04, 2010, 11:34:25 pm »

"Edem Imushzirel, Furnace Operator, cancels Make steel bars:  Needs 150 pig iron bars."

Can anyone offer any guidance?  I have several pig iron bars, several iron bars, and I only requested the production of 1 steel bar...  is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: September 05, 2010, 12:23:44 am »

How do I order my dwarves inside? I made my fortress so that it can be totally sealed with the flip of a switch (drawbridge), even from fliers (built floor above, removed stairs on the bottom floor and replaced them with walls). But if my dwarves are outside when an attack occurs, they will be left to die. How can I order all of them to go to a specific location?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: September 05, 2010, 12:25:45 am »

Make a burrow. Press w and you should figure everything else out yourself. They might not come instantly though.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: September 05, 2010, 12:27:08 am »

How do I order my dwarves inside? I made my fortress so that it can be totally sealed with the flip of a switch (drawbridge), even from fliers (built floor above, removed stairs on the bottom floor and replaced them with walls). But if my dwarves are outside when an attack occurs, they will be left to die. How can I order all of them to go to a specific location?

You need to setup a burrow. from the menu screen hit w then make a new burrow. You can name it designate size etc. Once it's built, to use it, hit m(for military) at the menu screen then a(for alerts) then right arrow over to the burrow's name and hit enter. This should put a green A next to the burrows name. when you leave the military screen all your dwarves will head for the burrow.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: September 05, 2010, 12:28:21 am »

"Edem Imushzirel, Furnace Operator, cancels Make steel bars:  Needs 150 pig iron bars."

Can anyone offer any guidance?  I have several pig iron bars, several iron bars, and I only requested the production of 1 steel bar...  is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

The pig iron was probably being moved at the time. 1 bar is 150 units.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: September 05, 2010, 01:23:18 am »

How do I see my list of neighbors like I can see them in embark mode, but while playing after embarking?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: September 05, 2010, 01:23:53 am »

"c"

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: September 05, 2010, 01:55:54 am »

How do I see my list of neighbors like I can see them in embark mode, but while playing after embarking?
You can't unfortunately, pressing "c" is your best option. You could always make a copy of your save game, abandon the fortress and look via Legends.
Is it normal for the trade caravan to bring odd items that you can't make, mine has brought me at least 2 large gem's made of metal ores like a '*«-large native platinum-»*'?
Absolutely, why would this be abnormal? It's helpful!

I really need help getting animals out of the cages, one dwarf managed to get a horse out when he was on milking duty but I can't recreate this incident for the other animals.
According to the wiki one can press "q" to access the cages, but I can't do this. I can only interact with the cages through "k" except if I build a stockpile underneath them, in which case I can also access the cages through "t".
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 1178