Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118791 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3045 on: September 03, 2010, 12:16:18 pm »

Is there any way to get my dwarves to actually wear clothes?  My clothier has produced some lovely silk cloaks and socks.  My dwarves agree they are indeed masterworks, snatching them up as soon as they come off the looms.  They then put them away in their cabinets and chests in their bedrooms and then continue walking around naked.  I don't actually mind the nudity as such, but I'd like them to have some protection other than bare skin if some toxic forgotten beast blood or something gets spilled.  I'd also like to harness the arrow-stopping power of silk, but the dwarves refuse to wear anything!  They've got opulent bedrooms with plenty of cabinets, they can get to the clothing and claim it as theirs and store it away, and they have plenty of free time.  Am I missing something, is there something I need to do with setting uniforms in the military screen, or is this just bugged at the moment?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: September 03, 2010, 02:14:19 pm »

I've been producing steel armour for my military, but I had started noticing that my recently created squads will refuse to equip themselves, citing something about an equipment mismatch. I'm up to my ears in highboots and gauntlets which they refuse to wear. =(
Two questions:

1) Have you set uniforms to metal?

2) What are they wearing on their hands and feet? It's very easy to overbuild armor and then be flooded with tons of crap you don't need. Especially gauntlets and shoes, as every job makes a pair.

edit: oh and how do you make multiple selections when trading?
What do you mean?

Selecting something when trading doesn't unselect anything else. I try to do one super-trade of all my stuff for all the stuff I want.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: September 03, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »

I posted this already but in the wrong thread.

I've not seen any traders and I've just encountered my second Spring, this is my second fortress so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I have two neighbours and have received two batches of immigrants, I don't think I'm at war with either of them.
I'm using the genesis mod because it claimed that it fixes bugs, I hope this isn't a problem. :S
You get no traders from non-Dwarven civs until the Dwarven traders have come and gone. The Dwarves are supposed to show up in the fall, so you've only really missed one caravan.

Build a Depot, and wait for the Fall.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »

Enable gold nuggets at z-stone menu and make rock items from them - by placing gold nuggets stockpile next to mason's/crafter's workshop
This lunatic mayorette has again mandated gold items. This time I had allowed gold nuggets from the z menu. The handmade gold table from the masonry has been suitable. ^^
Whatever the difference to a forged gold table may be ...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: September 03, 2010, 02:30:00 pm »

The difference is one is mad of gold, and one is made of gold-bearing rock.

Pak: In the latest version, the dwarven caravan often waits until the secind auttumn to show up.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: September 03, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »

How long in minutes is the average month?
It probably depends on FPS. OK, on the highest FPS setting, how long?

Also, Why have I gone eight seasons straight without any migrants :(?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Elestia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: September 03, 2010, 03:52:58 pm »

I've been producing steel armour for my military, but I had started noticing that my recently created squads will refuse to equip themselves, citing something about an equipment mismatch. I'm up to my ears in highboots and gauntlets which they refuse to wear. =(
Two questions:

1) Have you set uniforms to metal?

2) What are they wearing on their hands and feet? It's very easy to overbuild armor and then be flooded with tons of crap you don't need. Especially gauntlets and shoes, as every job makes a pair.

edit: oh and how do you make multiple selections when trading?
What do you mean?

Selecting something when trading doesn't unselect anything else. I try to do one super-trade of all my stuff for all the stuff I want.

I've set all my uniforms to specify steel armour. Most of my oldest squads equip themselves fine, but its the newly created squads that refuse to equip the spare gauntlets and boots. I checked their gear and they still are wearing regular civilian clothes.

When I trade, I'm getting tired of selecting each item to trade individually, when I have like hundreds of good to "ENTER" through. Need a way to speed up the trade process.

edit: I think I found out why my squads were not equipping things correctly. I was doubling the gauntlets and boots per dwarf, since I thought both the left and right limbs needed an extra unit.
edit2: Nevermind, didn't work.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:10:04 pm by Elestia »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: September 03, 2010, 04:51:26 pm »

Why do I never get the option to bring plump helmets and the dwarven drinks on embark? Ive tried about four gens using my custom perams that always used to work, but it just wont let me bring those. AFAIK my civ has never been destroyed, and the perams only remove the limit on subregions, lower caverns to 1, and give a few more civs and megabeasts.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3053 on: September 03, 2010, 05:13:14 pm »

It's because removing some of the cavern layers means your dwarves no longer have access to all the underground plants they normally would.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: September 03, 2010, 05:57:34 pm »

I'm fairly certain only leaving one cavern layer does not effect this - I have been playing DF for a year, and almost solely on 1-cavern-worlds.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: September 03, 2010, 10:14:05 pm »

Which stockpiles do buckets go to?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »

Furniture.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: September 03, 2010, 10:52:57 pm »

Pak: In the latest version, the dwarven caravan often waits until the secind auttumn to show up.
Almost as soon as Autumn began some elvish ladies came to visit with lots of lovely wood. Thank! You've quelled my fears.
Though I'm a bit worried about diplomacy, despite leaving with a 10,000 profit, they left unhappily. Will this sort of thing result in war later on?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: September 03, 2010, 10:57:00 pm »

"left unhappily" means that the liason didn't meet with your leader

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: September 03, 2010, 11:16:31 pm »

Ah. It doesn't mention that in the tutorial I'm using. How would I organise a meeting in the future?
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 1178