Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118881 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3030 on: September 02, 2010, 08:16:12 pm »

Building destroyers: Do they destroy, or merely disassemble?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: September 02, 2010, 08:20:55 pm »

Building destroyers: Do they destroy, or merely disassemble?
For workshops it seems that is reversal of building process(trade depot - leaves stones), for furniture - it is pernament destroy(doors). I may be wrong, observation just made with goddamn megabeast...artifact level items cannot be destroyed, if i remember right(could doors be artifact??hmm, that's interesting).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:34:44 pm by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: September 02, 2010, 08:30:18 pm »

Well... Not that i got anything to prove it with but I have had at least 30 elven caravans total and not a single cat or kitten ever. Dwarves do bring them.

Humans will also bring cats. Strange you should have the opposite problem I'm having. If you want some cats, take them, I can't slaughter them fast enough!

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: September 02, 2010, 08:51:31 pm »

I need a well and just found an underwater lake in the caverns about 13 z levels down. I'm planning on making my first pump stack up to my civil district. Do the water wheels to power it go next to the lake or should I put em next to the surface level river and then use gears down to the pumps? Next to the lake seems to make more sense but I'm not sure how any of this works. I read the wiki, I'm just a bit unsure still.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:28 pm »

legendary pic(that helped me to understand pumps):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:57:35 pm by McBeer »
----------

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:34 pm »

Well... Not that i got anything to prove it with but I have had at least 30 elven caravans total and not a single cat or kitten ever. Dwarves do bring them.

Humans will also bring cats. Strange you should have the opposite problem I'm having. If you want some cats, take them, I can't slaughter them fast enough!

I never expected to be in this situation either.  Both the dwarven and human civs are gone in this world, so I'm stuck with the cat-less elves.  I tried using small animal traps, but I didn't catch anything except a bunch of miasma.  Any tips on using small animal traps correctly to get rid of vermin? 

Alternately, anyone know if it's possible to mod the elves to bring cats without having to regen the world?  What tag would I add to their civ?

Elestia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: September 02, 2010, 10:00:47 pm »

I've built a windmill and put directly adjacent to it some mills, but they say it is not powered. The windmill is generating 40 units of power, but I cannot use my mills. How do I go about powering my mills?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: September 02, 2010, 10:03:26 pm »

windmill-gear-mill.
windmill-gear-axle-gear-mill.

damn, it's 5 a.m. sorry for bs i wrote..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:14:45 pm by McBeer »
----------

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: September 02, 2010, 10:13:36 pm »

I've built a windmill and put directly adjacent to it some mills, but they say it is not powered. The windmill is generating 40 units of power, but I cannot use my mills. How do I go about powering my mills?
windmill-gear-mill.
windmill-gear-axle-gear-mill.
I believe windmills only transmit power down from their central tile, you put the gear, a vertical axle under that, or whatever is to be powered in tile under that central tile. Anything but a vertical axle will require that the floor tile between where the Windmill is to go & whatever is under be channeled (or ramp'd) out.

Since you've already built your Windmills, I'm going to assume you didn't channel the tile, so you'll need to install a Vertical Axle (at least 1z worth) under the central tile, your wording also suggests that the mills are on the same level as the Windmill, which means you'll need more axles & 2+ gears to transmit power to them.

1 Gear under the axle under the Windmill, to translate from vertical to horizontal transmission, another on the same z-level to translate back, a horizontal axle connecting them, & another vertical axle to connect the 2nd gear to the mill. repeat as required.

Or just deconstruct everything & start over (probably quicker & cheaper materials wise)

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: September 02, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »

I posted this already but in the wrong thread.

I've not seen any traders and I've just encountered my second Spring, this is my second fortress so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I have two neighbours and have received two batches of immigrants, I don't think I'm at war with either of them.
I'm using the genesis mod because it claimed that it fixes bugs, I hope this isn't a problem. :S

Elestia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 03, 2010, 02:05:00 am »

I've been producing steel armour for my military, but I had started noticing that my recently created squads will refuse to equip themselves, citing something about an equipment mismatch. I'm up to my ears in highboots and gauntlets which they refuse to wear. =(

edit: oh and how do you make multiple selections when trading?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:18:56 am by Elestia »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 03, 2010, 02:27:21 am »

I need a well and just found an underwater lake in the caverns about 13 z levels down. I'm planning on making my first pump stack up to my civil district. Do the water wheels to power it go next to the lake or should I put em next to the surface level river and then use gears down to the pumps? Next to the lake seems to make more sense but I'm not sure how any of this works. I read the wiki, I'm just a bit unsure still.
Water wheel works only with water flow, so you need river or brook to power it. If you have two aquifers at different levels, you can make artificial underground river - water flows from higher aquifer to lower (or to the map edge). Ether you can make perpetuum mobile - water wheel that powers pump that makes flow to rotate wheel.

Where to place it - doesn't really matter, assuming that all pumps in the stack a properly connected to each other - see wiki page for instruction. But if you place them on the surface, beware of ogres or titans - they easily destroy all lovely-designed wheels.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 03, 2010, 05:33:01 am »

My mayor demands two native gold items. I have forged nearly everything possible out of gold, but nothing seems to count.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 03, 2010, 06:12:15 am »

Enable gold nuggets at z-stone menu and make rock items from them - by placing gold nuggets stockpile next to mason's/crafter's workshop
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:14:28 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 03, 2010, 06:51:52 am »

Thanks, too late ...
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 1178