Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118984 times)

westside

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #3015 on: September 01, 2010, 02:46:38 pm »

I have two questions about the newest version. I downloaded it yesterday and started it up. The first thing I noticed is how much slower it went than 40d. It took me about 15 minutes to simply build a world, and when i was moving the cursor around to select a location on the world map the X would freeze for 10 seconds constantly. When I finally did get into choosing my fortress size and its location, and I'm not kidding, I could NOT find a water source that DIDNT have an aquifer on it. This is in stark contrast to 40d where I could build a world and find a suitable location in under 3 minutes.  My computer is really good, runs Crysis, Bioshock on full settings so I've never had a problem with lag in any game until 31.12. So to sum it up, I have 2 questions:

1. Why is the game so much slower than before??

2. Why is there such an extreme amount of aquifers now?

Thanks in advance.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: September 01, 2010, 03:08:12 pm »

2. Why is there such an extreme amount of aquifers now?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know why this is, but you can pretty much flip a coin when you generate a world. On heads, most of the awesome embark sights will be aquafers, and on tails, you can't find an aquafire to save your life. I've had entire maps with no aquafers, and ive had entire maps of only aquafers.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: September 01, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »

Still no good answer to the blood splatter problem, eh?

One of my hunters got a particularly messy raccoon kill right on one of my external ramps, and now dwarves are starting to track blood everywhere and I'm getting a lot of 'Clean Self Cancelled: Area Inaccessible' messages.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:01 pm »

I'm getting a lot of 'Clean Self Cancelled: Area Inaccessible' messages.

This is a soap bug.  Make sure all your soap is either inside a hospital zone's coffers, or forbidden.  Then the dwarves will go to a well to clean themselves instead of trying and failing to use soap.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: September 01, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »

So, can we catch fishes through grates, or not?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:06:03 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: September 01, 2010, 08:36:00 pm »

1. Why is the game so much slower than before??

This is normal...
the world now is more extensive, with 3 cavern layers below earth and lots of critters in there, slowing stuff down (and probably also making pathfinding algorithm calculate longer, especially as the cavern layers can be interconnected to each other)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: September 01, 2010, 08:47:56 pm »

So, can we catch fishes through grates, or not?

You can.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: September 01, 2010, 09:07:22 pm »

Is there a way to increase the frequency of the "special features"?  Not just the Spoilers, but also the Spoilers. You know what I mean.

And to the above, you can fish through grates, collect water manually through grates. Cannot lower a well bucket through a grate, though a grate can be below the water level.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:13:05 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: September 02, 2010, 12:44:30 am »

Anyone know if elves bring cats by any chance?  So far it's been about 5-6 years of elf caravans and not a single cat with them.  The two I brought on embark have passed on and there are no dwarven caravans coming...

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:45 am »

Well... Not that i got anything to prove it with but I have had at least 30 elven caravans total and not a single cat or kitten ever. Dwarves do bring them.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: September 02, 2010, 03:02:28 am »

Anyone know if elves bring cats by any chance?  So far it's been about 5-6 years of elf caravans and not a single cat with them.  The two I brought on embark have passed on and there are no dwarven caravans coming...

I'm not sure about elves specifically but I have seen caravans bring cats.

EDIT: sorry I didn't see the post right above mine. Uhhhh what he said. :P
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: September 02, 2010, 06:55:38 am »

Is there a way to quickly jump back to a location? I keep on forgetting where my chasm is.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: September 02, 2010, 07:42:34 am »

Is there a way to quickly jump back to a location? I keep on forgetting where my chasm is.
Hit h for Hotkeys. You can assign one of the F-keys to your current location, rename it (with n) and press z to bind it to the zoom function.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:29 am »

Well... Not that i got anything to prove it with but I have had at least 30 elven caravans total and not a single cat or kitten ever. Dwarves do bring them.

Then as a followup: are there other vermin-hunter creatures that the elves might bring?  Or are cats the only vermin hunters?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:20 pm »

Cats are the only vermin-hunters in the vanilla game.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1178