Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119699 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2910 on: August 27, 2010, 03:00:36 am »

I believe his problem is that once you run out of "_" the repeating job is cancelled not suspended/ignored.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: August 27, 2010, 03:59:53 am »

Hey, just a quick question, I'm starting a military dwarves only challenge and I was wondering
is there a recommended split for combat and student-teacher?
Right now I have
1 5/5 dodger teacher,
2 3/3/2/2 Axe, Shield, Teacher and Student,
1 5/5 Axe Teacher,
2 3/3/2/2 Hammer Shield teacher and student, and
1 5/5 Hammer teacher
Any recommendations on changes?
Also, do they conduct shield demonstrations? cause otherwise I was thinking of replacing one of the hammers with a 5/5 Shield Teacher

Thanks
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: August 27, 2010, 05:31:23 am »

I really should use this thread more, rather than starting new topics all the time. So here goes:

Is there any way to automate or semi-automate gem cutting and encrusting? I find setting up individual jobs, and almost always having them canceled because I don't have that specific gem cut/uncut to be really tedious. It's turned me off gems all together.
I consider the cancellation of jobs because of missing gems somewhat annoying, too.
I would be nice if the number of gems could be displayed in the workshops interface (once the manager has counted them nicely ;)). Or at least could be looked after through a single keystroke.
The same goes for other workshops. It would be easier if one could always see how many of certain stones, logs, ores, whatever, were still available.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: August 27, 2010, 07:50:07 am »

Well it's only slightly harder to check them from the z, stocks place.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: August 27, 2010, 09:36:56 am »

How do you empty a backpack? I've done this a few times on accident, but I don't know what I typoed to do it.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: August 27, 2010, 04:33:36 pm »

The game won't allow you to order a gem you don't have to be used, so just set up "cut _" on repeat, and then, whe all the _ are cut, set encrust with _ on repeat.

The game seems to allow me to start a cutting order of a gem type I have, even if all of them are already be cut. It won't list types I haven't discovered yet, but this still leads to a lot of wasted orders. I'd love a "Cut Gem" order, akin to "Build Blocks" which can just be set on repeat.

I've also tried using the (z) menu, but it lists only my total number of gems, not a breakdown of type. That may just be my lack of a book keeper, though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 07:12:21 pm by Louist »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: August 27, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

How do you empty a backpack? I've done this a few times on accident, but I don't know what I typoed to do it.

In adventure mode - put some liquid in it, then drop the liquid. It's a bug, I think because it thinks it is a waterskin.

In Fortress Mode? Good luck.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: August 27, 2010, 08:20:36 pm »

Thanks, this worked very well, makes a very efficient way to shuffle trash off-site. Until I tried it in freezing weather; instant CTD.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 27, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »

Elven Caravans: It used to be that trading them anything made of wood caused them to go to war with you. Does this still hold true? Or am I now safe to sell them meat barrels, and craft bins?

Thanks.

lokis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: August 27, 2010, 11:24:47 pm »

I know it's a stupid question, but... Where is the magma smelter in the building menu? For me it does not appear under Furnaces, I am doing something wrong?

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: August 27, 2010, 11:33:08 pm »

I know it's a stupid question, but... Where is the magma smelter in the building menu? For me it does not appear under Furnaces, I am doing something wrong?

you have to find magma first. once you do it will show up
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: August 28, 2010, 12:13:35 am »

Elven Caravans: It used to be that trading them anything made of wood caused them to go to war with you. Does this still hold true? Or am I now safe to sell them meat barrels, and craft bins?

Thanks.
If you try to trade any wooden or animal based object, they will refuse to trade with you for that visit again and you'll make them an amount angrier. Do it enough times and eventually they'll declare war.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: August 28, 2010, 02:04:27 am »

About the elves and trading... How can I get the stuff out of the barrels or at least only trade the inside of the barrels?

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: August 28, 2010, 04:17:04 am »

You can't trade out-of-barrel food/drink (build metal barrels!) but you can trade the stuff in bins by marking each item inside; they'll still be hauld in the bin but you keep the bin.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: August 28, 2010, 04:59:24 am »

About the elves and trading... How can I get the stuff out of the barrels or at least only trade the inside of the barrels?
If you want to trade stuff that is usually stored in barrels to the elves: Create a stockpile for those goods and forbid any barrels (qery the stockpile and set barrels to 0 via E). You can have this stuff individually transported to the trade depot. If it is allowed to be stored in bins or bags, you can set the use of bins on that stockpile to max.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 1178