Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119632 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2895 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:53 am »

If you have multiple garbage dumps, will Dwarves place refuse in the ones they are closest to? Or will they just use them randomly?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

ouroborus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: August 26, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »

How do you guys survive your first ambush?I get ambushed with about 11 dwarfs  :(
Cage traps are your friend.

Segregate your area into "inside" and "outside" using whatever you like to create that boundary. (The natural boundry between underground and above is fine.) Arrange for transit between the two via a long, winding passage. (Winding because of potential archers.) Cover the passage with cage traps. This won't solve all the possible attacks you can encounter, but will handle your first few goblin ambushes while still allowing immigrants and caravans inside.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: August 26, 2010, 12:26:25 pm »

I just had a community game and it failed because all of the dwarves died of thirst. Obviously they can't drink salt water. So how to get good water from salt water? I would like any possible solutions.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2898 on: August 26, 2010, 12:39:44 pm »

Build wells above the salt water.  This seems to work in DF2010, provided that the wells are above the natural level of any salt water on the map.

Of course, the vastly preferred solution would be to not have them drinking water at all, but to brew enough booze so they don't have to drink water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:31 pm »

Sphalerite is 95% right, you need water from wells for a hospital.

Supposedly the bug that contaminates water below the sealine, also desalinates water above it, so the the well can be drawing from the sea & still be used.

I haven't actually seen anyone comment on whether or not water being transported to a patient is contaminated once it drops below sealevel though, so I'd recommend building your hospitals up there too, at least until & unless you usable infinite underground water.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2900 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:15 pm »

I have never run into an ambush even though I have played for atleast 15 dwarven years in 4 different forts.
Thats the way I survive ambushes.  :D
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: August 26, 2010, 02:53:36 pm »

I've had my entrance covered in piles and piles and more piles of blood from trolls,goblins,dwarves,dogs,forgotten beasts,titans and also alot of galena dust for several years.
Suddenly i notice about half of the entrance is clean, how come? I've had acess to a well with water and also soap for several years if that matters.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:33 pm »

Goblin squads normally flee at the first sign of trouble. Having everyone else in the squad knocked out was considered trouble, so they retreated. And apparently losing a battle is grounds for impeachment of a goblin leader.

Ur Burnedthrew will probably not be coming back to your fortress, but you may be able to hunt him down in Adventure mode if he settles somewhere you can find him. And you most certainly will get more, bigger goblin sieges, and they probably won't knock themselves out.
There were two squads not knocked by their Master. Those were easy meat for my 60-man-military. Most are at legendary in at least one combat-skill (usually fighter), fully armored, and armed with exceptional or better steel axes.

The last squad didn't get much of a chance to run away. They were knocked out, and easy meat for the dorfs. Unfortunately Ur Burnedthrew managed to flee before he could be finished off...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2903 on: August 26, 2010, 04:18:24 pm »

Nevermind, figured it out.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:26:41 pm by Seriyu »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: August 26, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »

You can request both silk cloth and silk thread from the dwarven traders, assuming your civilization has access to silk somewhere (I've never NOT seen then have it, but who knows).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 26, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »

My military dwarfs who have a labor that needs a tool seem to want to strip their uniform off when that labor is enabled.  This is causing problems with miners, hunters, woodcutters, etc. I tried making a uniform with "individual weapon preference", with no weapon at all, and with their specific weapon or item assigned, no luck on any of those. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:49 pm »

I am considering starting a straight up and down megaproject in a 1x1 embark (mod: Nanofortress) on top of a named mountain (mod: Embark Anywhere) and I find myself wanting to build the walls entirely out of glass and I find myself with two questions:

1. Can you even get a mountain biome with sand? Maybe in the caverns?
2. I understand there is a maximum z-level 10 levels above the highest elevation. Will this increase as I build upwards? Can I reach for the clouds, or will I have an invisible wall?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: August 27, 2010, 01:07:23 am »

Well to see if you have sand then look on the embark screen before choosing the location.
You can change the z-levels above the ground level from generating the map. And yes there will be an invisible wall up there. On the last z-level you can put floors but not stuff that would have any effect on the upper z-level like walls.

Louist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: August 27, 2010, 01:22:17 am »

I really should use this thread more, rather than starting new topics all the time. So here goes:

Is there any way to automate or semi-automate gem cutting and encrusting? I find setting up individual jobs, and almost always having them canceled because I don't have that specific gem cut/uncut to be really tedious. It's turned me off gems all together.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 27, 2010, 02:34:02 am »

The game won't allow you to order a gem you don't have to be used, so just set up "cut _" on repeat, and then, whe all the _ are cut, set encrust with _ on repeat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 1178