Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119772 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2850 on: August 24, 2010, 11:36:50 am »

Oh, so it's just a case of "close the floodgate early" and not a mathmatical formula.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Zhaneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 24, 2010, 11:45:19 am »

I tried to do a quick search in this thread and a search on the wiki.  I'm very new.

Is there any way to move furniture once it has been placed as a building?  Like, I want to rearrange my beds into orderly rows, but I can't figure out how to move the beds.  Do I have to destroy the building and reclaim the wood?

Thanks in advance.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 24, 2010, 11:49:56 am »

I tried to do a quick search in this thread and a search on the wiki.  I'm very new.

Is there any way to move furniture once it has been placed as a building?  Like, I want to rearrange my beds into orderly rows, but I can't figure out how to move the beds.  Do I have to destroy the building and reclaim the wood?

Thanks in advance.

The "destroy building" command doesn't actually destroy or damage the building, it just deconstructs it so you can move and place it again like you could when it was first built. You can place a bed here today, then tomorrow you can decide to deconstruct it and move it a few rooms over.

Also note that deconstructing things like walls, floors, bridges, traps, pumps, and some other stuff will just remove the building and you'll get the component parts used in thier construction back.

Sadly, it's impossible to turn things like beds or wooden barrels back into logs once they've been made.

Zhaneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 24, 2010, 12:05:11 pm »

The "destroy building" command doesn't actually destroy or damage the building, it just deconstructs it so you can move and place it again like you could when it was first built. You can place a bed here today, then tomorrow you can decide to deconstruct it and move it a few rooms over.

Also note that deconstructing things like walls, floors, bridges, traps, pumps, and some other stuff will just remove the building and you'll get the component parts used in thier construction back.

Sadly, it's impossible to turn things like beds or wooden barrels back into logs once they've been made.

For now I'm happy to still have the beds.  Thanks!!!!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:33 pm »

Oh, so it's just a case of "close the floodgate early" and not a mathmatical formula.

The use of mathematical formula is for when you're also constructing a cistern to hold the required volume of water before filling the room.

In which case ((Room Area)*(N/7)) should work, where N should probably be 4.5 or 5 to allow for evaporation whilst flooding. & of course it won't actually stay at 4/7 all that long because of said evaporation...

averycates

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 24, 2010, 12:47:55 pm »

Quick question, how do I un-cage a tamed animal? just brought a caged cow from a merchant and cant work it out.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 24, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »

Build the cage on the ground and open the q menu on it. There should be a menu or an option to add or remove animals from the cage. use + and - to select and enter to move the animal.

averycates

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 24, 2010, 01:20:03 pm »

Build the cage on the ground and open the q menu on it. There should be a menu or an option to add or remove animals from the cage. use + and - to select and enter to move the animal.
I dont seem to have that menu when I open the q menu over it, its in an animal stockpile so I just have options for stockpiles, will that have anything to do with it? If I should move it how would I do this? Thanks

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2858 on: August 24, 2010, 01:24:36 pm »

You need to order the cage to be placed somewhere with the build (b) command. Look for cages in the build menu.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

averycates

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 24, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »

Done. Thanks  :)

Dahenk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 24, 2010, 02:00:32 pm »

Can i temporary deactivate a pressure plate or do i have to deconstruct it?

Edit:
Also another question

Will ice always become 7/7 depth when melting no matter how much/little water froze from the beginning?
I took water from a small lake to fill some ponds, leaving tiles with 6 and 5 depth of water. the next year when the lake thawed it was all 7 depth again.
Or was it simply precipitation? (snow in my case mostly)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:52:13 pm by Dahenk »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 24, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »

I believe both Ice & Obsidian occupy the full volume of the tile even when formed from material quantities that don't.

I suggest reading the wiki page on Trap Design (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Trap_design), specifically the sections on the Dechigrinator & the Orcsicle Maker, for specific information about the formation of Ice.

No idea about the pressure plate, sorry.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 24, 2010, 04:21:05 pm »

How do you use DF reveal?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2863 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:35 pm »

There's no way to simply deactivate a pressure plate short of deconstructing it.  You can always use some kind of water logic AND gate to connect the pressure plate to an enable lever, but that is complex to build and adds delay, and can't easily be done to an already built pressure plate system.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 24, 2010, 04:56:50 pm »

How do you use DF reveal?
Whatever tool you're using for the purpose should have either a wiki page or a forum thread that should help with that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1178