Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119776 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2835 on: August 23, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »

So I have a bin in my stone stockpile, down by the magma forges because I want easy to access resources, obviously, but they don't seem to want to move stone into the bin. It's in the stone stockpile, and bins are set to be placed there, but they're not actually doing anything with them. Is there some reason for this, or is it just lazy dwarves?

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: August 23, 2010, 05:30:10 pm »

So I have a bin in my stone stockpile, down by the magma forges because I want easy to access resources, obviously, but they don't seem to want to move stone into the bin. It's in the stone stockpile, and bins are set to be placed there, but they're not actually doing anything with them. Is there some reason for this, or is it just lazy dwarves?
From my experience, dwarves don't bin individual stones unless they have been converted into blocks.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2837 on: August 23, 2010, 05:36:18 pm »

Hmmm, okay. Thanks.

Tsukenta

• Bay Watcher
  • STEPHEN STILLS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: August 23, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »

Probably should have mentioned this before hand; If you do convert them into blocks, they store them in the blocks/bars stockpile instead of the stone stockpile. Obvious, but occasionally overlooked.

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: August 23, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »

Question of my own; I know this has already been answered, but i'm tired of looking for it.
I have about 20 goblins in cages. I know you can [d>b>d] to mass dump everything, and I know you have to go back and deselect the cages for dumping, but how do I check the goblin's inventory? I've released goblins for military training years after queing up the dbd order, and still have dwarves get their arms lopped off because the dumpers never got around (or simply ignored) the goblin's stuff.
I'm pretty sure you can't.  Sorry.
Although if anyone out there proves me wrong, I'd be delighted.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: August 23, 2010, 08:45:39 pm »

It's a bit of a work around, but use a mass designation, that you haven't used elsewhere, on the cage. So, if you haven't designated anything for melting, do d-b-m over the cage, then check the stock screen for what pops up with a red M next to it.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: August 24, 2010, 12:48:17 am »

If possible, would anyone be able to give me world data for a map that has a volcano and river together?

Hundreds of gens and I'm no closer to my goal.

Edit: After how many tries over how many weeks, my very first try after making this post I get what I want.

Nevermind guys.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:56:25 am by Lumbajak »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: August 24, 2010, 01:35:54 am »

I've never seen anything bigger than a Brook in the same region as a Volcano.

But if a brook is good enough, theres a few posted in the following thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64032.0.

There also a few in the pregenerated worlds section of the Dwarf Fortress File Depository (http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php).

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: August 24, 2010, 02:44:25 am »

is it possible to remove a ramp frmo the upper level?
because I'm making a moat for my bridges, and when I channeled to open up the moat to the river, I noticed it left a ramp behind
problem is, my moat is now full of water, and thus my dwarves can't get close enough to actually remove the ramp
A, is it possible to remove this ramp without setting up pumps and such
B, can they swim to the ramp and climb out?
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: August 24, 2010, 02:49:35 am »

Um... I think I might have the answer to your second question.
A dwarf can come out of water using a ramp even if that dwarf doesn't know how to swim. If that dwarf does know how to swim (I think you need at least level 2 swimming though.) then that dwarf can climb out of the water without a ramp.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: August 24, 2010, 02:54:13 am »

you can not remove a ramp without being on the same level, and yes your Dwarves can TRY to swim to remove the ramp, however weather or not the dwarf will survive is completly dependent on his swimming ability, which most dwarfs have none of, however a workaround you can try, is either to wall off all the sides of the pull (creatures can't climb up the ramp if the ramp has no place for them to climb to) or to cause a controlled cave in along the edge you wish removed.

Question:1. If you floor over an Light, outdoor tile. DOes said tile still cause miasma if refuse is dumped on it?
2.also is it possible to grow on that tile,
3. and will your dwarves going on that tile prevent cave adaptation?

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: August 24, 2010, 03:15:31 am »

Yes, is possible to grow above ground stuff if the plot is used to be grass or something
if the tile with the rotting stuff is totally enclosed, then yes, it will create miasma
pretty sure it won't help stop against cave adaptation, although it might if you used glass for the roof...
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: August 24, 2010, 08:44:03 am »

pretty sure it won't help stop against cave adaptation, although it might if you used glass for the roof...
I'm pretty sure a glass roof functions identically to any constructed roof of any material.  And I'm also under the impression that any tiles that have ever been exposed to sunlight will prevent cave adaptation, whether roofed over or not.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:06 am »

How do you make rooms with 4/7 water?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: August 24, 2010, 10:56:59 am »

Well... Find a water source 1st. If the room is small then a about 10 tile pond will do but if the room is bigger then you should consider a river or brook. Dig out the room and make a 1 tile wide passageway from the room to the water source. Remember that water can pass diagionally. Don't connect the small passage to the water source yet. Put a floodgate where the room ends and the tunnel begins and a lever somewhere outside the room. Once they are constructed go to the lever and link it up to that floodgate. Make sure they are linked and that the flodgate is closed. Channel out the tile that is preventing water from coming to the tunnel from above. Then order someone to pull the lever and watch the water flood the room. Also make sure you close the room so water can't escape. Once you near 4/7 then order the lever to be pulled again. Make sure to order it a little bit before because a dwarf may not get there instantly. I hope that's all the info needed.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1178