Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119893 times)

Pitah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2805 on: August 22, 2010, 11:51:31 am »

AFAIK inorganic titans' remains can't be used for whatever you'd use the material they were made of.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: August 22, 2010, 12:09:59 pm »

Hope people don't mind me going back a few pages, because I wanted to look this up and get it right.

6. What is roughly the highest value artifact can get? Few hours ago I received topaz scepter covered with cow bone/random gem/aluminum worth 140k. During 6~ forts I've made which lasted 6 years or longer this is most valuable one I've seen, usually they're 10k. Sad dwarfpanda.

6. I honestly have no idea what the upper limit of value is. I think there is an upper limit of value based on the base material used, but if you for example have an artifact adamantine statue encrusted with gold and diamonds, the value can get absurdly high.

Then again, maybe a cap was set in place by Toady for balance reasons in the more recent versions, I don't know for sure.

In my current fortress (in the current game version), I have been granted Oslanoshot, "Windvanished," a raw adamantine mechanisms (hooray for grammar).  Ingredients include the initial raw adamantine, and then melanite, hungry head leather, rope reed fiber, adamantine (not raw), yellow zircon, raw adamantine, raw adamantine, raw adamantine (that last one is a depiction of Tobul, the deity of metals), adamantine (not raw), and copper (hooray for an anti-climax).  Value: 2,568,000☼.

I also have four artifacts that are "adamantine," not "raw adamantine," including two that are worth over a million.  The 2.5 million still tops them.

So, "is there a cap"?  I am willing to say "no."  Items in the millions are beyond any practical benefit already, and it would serve no purpose to have a cap somewhere above that.

--Rexfelum

Edited P.S.: Over here is an artifact worth over 3 million as the result of a glitch.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:16:12 pm by Rexfelum »

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: August 22, 2010, 01:19:53 pm »

Why can't dwarfs make Metal High Boots anymore?
What armor pieces are needed in order for a uniform to provide full (or at least the most coverage) protection against attacks?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: August 22, 2010, 01:22:23 pm »

Why can't dwarfs make Metal High Boots anymore?
It depends whether your civ knows how to make them - some do, some don't.

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: August 22, 2010, 01:36:26 pm »

I'd like to ask a few questions: How do you create the muddy water for farming? I watched captain_duck's tutorial video about that but the way he did it didn't work for me, my dwarves refused to dig the space out, I checked them they weren'r sleeping or aything so I guess it's impossible for some reason. I figured that I have to mud some ground, but how do I do that? I don't think I have buckets, I'm a newby so I'm not even sure how to look at the items list. Even if I had I don't know how to order the dwarves to bring water from a pond then dip it on the ground.
By the way, how do I look at my dwarves character sheets? And the stair system is very unclear to me, even though I read that part of the Complete and Utter Newby tutorial. Can I get away by using only Up/Down staircases?
I guess that's all my questions, for now.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: August 22, 2010, 01:39:36 pm »

Ok, to dig, you must have brought picks and have dwarves with the "mining" labor enabled.

You look at the list of items you have by pressing th Z-key and opening the "Stocks" menu.

The easiest way to mud ground is to dig out an area near the water source and just tap into the water source from above.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: August 22, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »

Ok, to dig, you must have brought picks and have dwarves with the "mining" labor enabled.

You look at the list of items you have by pressing th Z-key and opening the "Stocks" menu.

The easiest way to mud ground is to dig out an area near the water source and just tap into the water source from above.
I have picks I digged out an area already, because I'm planning to do some basic stuff there. I was about to do the same thing you just suggested - the same thing captain_duck did. It didn't work. Do I have to put a staircase to the underground first? It would be kind of strange since I don't recall captain_duck doing that, but then again I might have an even newer version then he did at that time , I'm not really following these versions, all I know that I have DF2010.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: August 22, 2010, 02:25:17 pm »

I'm sorry. I'd really like to help you. But I just can't quite understand what you are trying to ask. Are you trying to dig an area underground WITHOUT making stairs?
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: August 22, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »

Err... yeah, kind of, I thought the dwarves didn't need one, after all, they strike the earth. And I saw captain_duck going down one level, digging underground, but he didn't make any stairs... Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNw4iPMWUc The part I was talking about is from like 4:31.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: August 22, 2010, 03:01:44 pm »

I can't load the video, but he probably used a (r)amp designation. You can place those one Z-level down and a dwarf will dig it from above.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: August 22, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »

You'll note that whilst the recording was on "Pause", he dug out a passageway he hadn't designated before pausing (probably from the underground chamber that was briefly on screen), presumably he covered excavating into the ground in an earlier portion of the tutorial.

IOW, you can't muddy ground that still has ground occupying the tile, you need to "Mine" it out.

Nas92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: August 22, 2010, 04:33:14 pm »

Ok, I couldn't build an Up/Down staircase so I just decided to build a Downward staircase. There's a staircase for them, they still refuse to do anything. So, two questions:
1. How stairs work in this game, where can I place a proper Up/down staircase.
2. Why the hell can't dwarves go down the stairs? Do I have to beg them or what?
I can't tell how pissed off I am. Tutorials don't help shit. How the hell do I even start the fortress? That Complete Utter Newby tutorial suggested that I should first carve it into the mountains, but that's pointless now, unfortunately, because I can't put a farm there, so why not put the whole fortress underground to begin with? That's the way most people do it, I noticed, actually.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: August 22, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »

Ok, I couldn't build an Up/Down staircase so I just decided to build a Downward staircase. There's a staircase for them, they still refuse to do anything. So, two questions:
1. How stairs work in this game, where can I place a proper Up/down staircase.

I think I can guess the issue.  Designate a staircase on every floor you want dwarves to access, and only once a floor has its own staircase will dwarves use it.  You probably have a staircase on the ground above the target region, which is an important start, but not enough.  Designate one in the z-level below it (likely "up/down"), in or next to all the other stuff you want them to mine.  You probably can see now that you suddenly know what material is in the dirt immediately below your stairs: this is a useful property of "down" (or "up/down") stairs.

"Up," "down," and "up/down" work as you'd expect: you cannot designate "up" or "up/down" on solid ground, as there is nothing "up" to reach.  You can, though, designate "up" or "up/down" in the earth below your fancy new "down" one.

--Rexfelum

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2818 on: August 22, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »

So, there's a buzzard corpse nearby and I'd like to butcher it, but the butcher says it needs a "nearby unrotten butcherable item" or something along those lines. It's not rotten, so I can only assume it's not close enough, which is odd because it's only a good 10-20 tiles away from the butcher's shop. So, how can I get this thing moved near the butcher shop before it rots?

Or is there something else I'm missing?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2819 on: August 22, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »

The buzzard corpse needs to be in a refuse stockpile near the butcher's shop, so if you haven't already you need to make a refuse stockpile next to the butcher's shop.  Picking up refuse from outside is disabled by default, so you will need to type 'o' - 'r' - 'o' to turn on gathering refuse from outside.  You'll probably want to turn off gathering refuse from outside once the buzzard has been collected.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 1178