Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119961 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2775 on: August 21, 2010, 05:07:12 am »

It seems that if something is put down on a tile that is adjacent to open space, the object falls off that edge. Is this normal behavior? Can an item, be damaged or destroyed if it falls far enough?
If it really does fall down if it's next to open space then something is wrong. I have many things next to open space and nothing is falling anywhere. Some are even on ramps where they should fall off in real life. I'm quite sure an item (That isn't built.) can't break from falling. Though it seemed floors could. I had a little cave-in on top of a refuse pile and the stuff fell through 3 floors of my fortress. All the stuff down there was OK and not broken.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: August 21, 2010, 07:04:06 am »

I killed elfs to my trade depot but my dwarves wont dispose them. I tried making graveayrd and dumping them but they just wont carry them to either pile/actionzone. I also tried claiming them.

They are refuse. Only Dwarves are graveyard worthy. Also their pets.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: August 21, 2010, 09:05:14 am »

I killed elfs to my trade depot but my dwarves wont dispose them. I tried making graveayrd and dumping them but they just wont carry them to either pile/actionzone. I also tried claiming them.

They are refuse. Only Dwarves are graveyard worthy. Also their pets.
Dwarves by default ignore refuse that is outside. Use the 'o' menu to change that behavior if you want your dwarves to haul elf corpses.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 21, 2010, 01:44:46 pm »

It seems that if something is put down on a tile that is adjacent to open space, the object falls off that edge. Is this normal behavior? Can an item, be damaged or destroyed if it falls far enough?
Well, if a dump zone is adjacent to open space, then dwarves will toss the item to be dumped into the open space rather than leaving it on the tile of the dump zone.  Is this what you are experiencing?  And as far as I know, an item will not be damaged by falling from a tall height.  It'll be destroyed if it ends up landing in magma if it is not made from magma-safe material.  And it'll be destroyed if it lands on semi-molten rock.

rockhard556

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: August 21, 2010, 02:10:53 pm »

whenever i go into prepare carefully in version 0.31.03 and i attempt to add skill points or remove skill points or even add or remove items it just doesn't do anything i try using the plus and minus keys but it still doesn't do anything i tried downloading a newer version and it still doesn't work to only time i've actually had it work is on the version that i downloaded from the complete newby tutorial any suggestions would be appreciated

FZE

• Bay Watcher
  • Who are you and what are you doing outside?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: August 21, 2010, 02:21:42 pm »

Is there a quick way to find a source of miasma? My food stores are filled with it, and it looks like it's originating from my plant stores. Which plants will rot if left out of barrels?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:48 pm »

There's almost certainly a vermin corpse in the food stockpile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: August 21, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »

whenever i go into prepare carefully in version 0.31.03 and i attempt to add skill points or remove skill points or even add or remove items it just doesn't do anything i try using the plus and minus keys but it still doesn't do anything i tried downloading a newer version and it still doesn't work to only time i've actually had it work is on the version that i downloaded from the complete newby tutorial any suggestions would be appreciated

Try changing the keybindings for "Move Secondary Selector Up" & "Move Secondary Selector Down" under 'World>General'.

Also note that for skills & equipment in 'Prepare Carefully' they're reversed, hit "down" to increase & vice versa.

Or download & install the LazyNewb Pack 4.2, go into the data\init folder, ditch the interface.txt file, & rename the interface.LAPTOP.txt to interace.txt & see if those keybindings work for you.

Devonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: August 21, 2010, 11:45:30 pm »

so what can someone with the "ability to grasp lost" do? wiki just says he "may not be able to perform some jobs" due to that, i figure he can't do anything that involves using something in his hand, but he wont even haul.

*note if this fails, he's being thrown into a cavern to go "exploring" for me, and then getting a nice "tomb of the unkown soldier" set up in his honor, simply bc he single handedly built my entire aqueduct system, slayed 3 troglybytes when he breached the caverns, and then, the epic miner that he was, fell down a channel while i was setting up wells....*

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2784 on: August 21, 2010, 11:47:04 pm »

Is bismuth bronze functionally the same as bronze for weapons and armor? I'm having trouble finding iron, so I figured I'd go down a level until I can find some, and there just happens to be a lot of bismuth bronze and normal bronze around, soo.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: August 21, 2010, 11:47:31 pm »

I have a question completely unworthy of being put in it's own thread.  How long does it take for the Ages to change on average, I've waited up to 1,000 years and my world was still in the Age of Myths. It's just a thing, I really don't mind, just wondering.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: August 21, 2010, 11:49:19 pm »

Is bismuth bronze functionally the same as bronze for weapons and armor? I'm having trouble finding iron, so I figured I'd go down a level until I can find some, and there just happens to be a lot of bismuth bronze and normal bronze around, soo.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Bismuth_Bronze

It's more valuable that way, also you get more bang for your Charcoal buck if you don't have a magma smelter up and running yet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: August 21, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »

The ages have absolutely nothing to do with the passage of time, and are entirely based on what is still alive.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: August 21, 2010, 11:53:36 pm »

Yeah, I know that, I was just wondering how long it would take to change on it's own, as I like embarking on young worlds anyhow, it really isn't a pressing issue, but I tried once to see how long it would take, I waited 1,000 + years and it still didn't change.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2789 on: August 21, 2010, 11:58:08 pm »

Ignore this, I'm a big dummy who doesn't check wiki pages
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 1178