Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119969 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2760 on: August 20, 2010, 04:49:57 pm »

If they were adopted, they go in the graveyard stockpile.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:20 pm »

So I've been capturing large quantities of the mounts the humans ride in my cage traps as they continue to siege me. To try and put these mounts to use I've attempted to tame them and move them to my stable -- and the game lets me. Problem is that the Stray One-Humped Camel (Tame) still doesn't act very tame -- they'll attack their handlers without remorse. Is there any hope for these animals? Or should I just toss them all in the arena?

I haven't had any deaths yet while handling them (thankfully) although one of them did maul a glassmaker pretty badly. I'm sure he'll recover. I was just hoping to butcher these animals in the butcher shop, not the arena, because I understand mutilated corpses render much less goods than properly butchered corpses do.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: August 20, 2010, 04:59:41 pm »

So I've been capturing large quantities of the mounts the humans ride in my cage traps as they continue to siege me. To try and put these mounts to use I've attempted to tame them and move them to my stable -- and the game lets me. Problem is that the Stray One-Humped Camel (Tame) still doesn't act very tame -- they'll attack their handlers without remorse. Is there any hope for these animals? Or should I just toss them all in the arena?

I haven't had any deaths yet while handling them (thankfully) although one of them did maul a glassmaker pretty badly. I'm sure he'll recover. I was just hoping to butcher these animals in the butcher shop, not the arena, because I understand mutilated corpses render much less goods than properly butchered corpses do.

If something has tasted the blood of your dwarves, then it shall never live with you in peace, only act "tamed" to lull you into a false sense of security.
 (on or off screen violence, some megas can already be Enemies Of The Fort upon arrival, I hear)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: August 20, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »

Can a ballista Fire at enemies one z level lower than itself? I was thinking of building ballistas on my wall.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: August 20, 2010, 05:16:27 pm »

Hamburgerfan: No. Siege weapons are restricted to the same z-level.

Khift: Kill them in the arena with spears or bone bolts. You should get the normal amount of meat that way.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: August 20, 2010, 05:25:52 pm »

Can they fire through fortifications?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: August 20, 2010, 05:46:58 pm »

Can they fire through fortifications?

Ballistas definitely are able to fire their arrows through fortifications...
at least they did so in pre 2010 versions, havenīt tested it in 2010 yet,
but I see no reason why it shouldnīt work anymore.

As for catapults...dunno

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:57 pm »

3. Bone arrows are not affective in combat against anything with half-decent armor. Unless your dwarfs get extremely lucky shots, don't expect bone bolts to penetrate iron plate mail reliably. Any metal will do fine, though, as should Ironwood. I'm kind of sketchy on the details of the simulation as far as how bolts and arrows work right now, but I do believe the weight and strength of the bolt's material should affect whether it penetrates armor or not.

The interesting question would be, if high quality changes anything in this ...
for example insofar as you could compare bone bolts of different qualitys with no/lower quality bolts of another material, for example
[masterful]bone bolts ~= [no quality]metal x bolts

Vehine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: August 20, 2010, 09:07:54 pm »

Worked. Thank you!

Question #2:

I have a hunter as a Militia Captain, leading a squad with one other dwarf, using the Archer uniform. I do want them as marksdwarves for fortress defense.

I set up and archery range, as well and they're all scheduled to train as per normal, but all I'm getting is a 'Soldier (Cannot follow order)' in the U-screen.

Any way to fix this so they actually practice shooting?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: August 20, 2010, 09:19:51 pm »

Worked. Thank you!

Question #2:

I have a hunter as a Militia Captain, leading a squad with one other dwarf, using the Archer uniform. I do want them as marksdwarves for fortress defense.

I set up and archery range, as well and they're all scheduled to train as per normal, but all I'm getting is a 'Soldier (Cannot follow order)' in the U-screen.

Any way to fix this so they actually practice shooting?
you have to assing training ammo under the ammuntion tab on the military page, and make sure it's assigned for militart use, because there's assign ammo for hunters and military there.
Nom nom nom

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
  • when you stop to read, you have to leave a rock
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
« Reply #2770 on: August 20, 2010, 11:55:16 pm »

1.  Is there a way to save the game that doesn't boot you back out to the main menu?

2.  My woodcutters aren't picking up battle axes and there are weapons all over the place available to them.  What could be up with this?  The labor is enabled.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:57:38 pm by Hour Hero Yes »

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: August 21, 2010, 12:56:48 am »

Quite sure no!
Well... Maybe they are on a break, busy with something else? They already have 1? Are they also complaining about not being able to chop wood? Maybe you should just wait longer.

ouroborus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:16 am »

It seems that if something is put down on a tile that is adjacent to open space, the object falls off that edge. Is this normal behavior? Can an item, be damaged or destroyed if it falls far enough?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: August 21, 2010, 04:12:42 am »

1.  Is there a way to save the game that doesn't boot you back out to the main menu?

2.  My woodcutters aren't picking up battle axes and there are weapons all over the place available to them.  What could be up with this?  The labor is enabled.

AFAIK no

Battleaxes you produced yourself?
Or battleaxes left over from an invasion?
If it is the latter, they are most likely forbidden
and you have to use the k-Screen to hover over the axe and claim it with f

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2774 on: August 21, 2010, 04:46:24 am »

I killed elfs to my trade depot but my dwarves wont dispose them. I tried making graveayrd and dumping them but they just wont carry them to either pile/actionzone. I also tried claiming them.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 1178