Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120186 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2640 on: August 17, 2010, 06:05:31 am »

Yeah I had an idea like that but the problem is I got no military. I limited myself at 25 dwarves. I got a load of war dogs though. Maybe I could make a little war dogs vs goblins arena... If the goblins win I set them free. Nah not really. Cage traps at the "exit". I doubt I'm actually gonna do that though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: August 17, 2010, 06:18:03 am »

Do you have a group of dwarves that are almost always idling? If so, give them axes and armor, strip the goblins naked, and toss them together. Hell, you get free armor from the goblins themselves.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: August 17, 2010, 06:22:08 am »

Nah... I do have about 10 idlers at once but they aren't the same dwarves. I got jobs for everyone. But if I could take the goblins stuff then I might know something to do. How do I take their stuff away?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: August 17, 2010, 06:40:15 am »

d-b-d over their cages, undesignate the cages themselves, have an active garbage dump zone, d-b-c the zone when done.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 17, 2010, 06:45:21 am »

What should I do with the leftover captured goblins? I could just kill them in magma but is there anything else to do with them?

if you drop them into your cavern system, they can distract the FB for you. (or just exit via the cavern edge, whichever they manage first)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

yossarian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:20 am »

This is a UI question, so the answer is probably "no"... When you zoom to a creature or item from the units or stocks menu, is it possibly to jump straight back where you were in that menu? Currently I have to press Esc, go to the stocks/unit menu, scroll to where I was, etc. I'm using the phoebus graphics, if that makes any difference.

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 17, 2010, 08:54:33 am »

as far as i know, it is "no"

Robert

• Bay Watcher
  • The Librarian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 17, 2010, 09:02:16 am »

My little question is:
 Does anyone know the average first sightings of enemy conflict? Like about how long it will take you to get your first kolbold thief, or how long it takes until you are sieged by goblins? If its not time based, please lemme know.

[EDIT:] Also, do the blocks of materials, say wood blocks, function 100% the same (other than being able to be stored in bins) as their non-block counterpart?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:10:17 am by Robert »

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:54 am »

My little question is:
 Does anyone know the average first sightings of enemy conflict? Like about how long it will take you to get your first kolbold thief, or how long it takes until you are sieged by goblins? If its not time based, please lemme know

it is based primarily on your created wealth. Goblin kidnappers begin to appear, once you have children in your fortress-not much for them to catch otherwise.
Ambushers arrive with the caravans, or some time close to it. It is unlikely, that poor fortress will attract someone else basides kobolds.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 17, 2010, 09:23:50 am »

Also, do the blocks of materials, say wood blocks, function 100% the same (other than being able to be stored in bins) as their non-block counterpart?
Blocks and logs/stones are functionally identical. Blocks let you build "Smooth X Block Wall" as opposed to "Rough X Wall"; I believe these have a higher value and thus make your fort worth more.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Robert

• Bay Watcher
  • The Librarian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 17, 2010, 09:27:42 am »

Amazing, thanks

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:29 am »

Also, do the blocks of materials, say wood blocks, function 100% the same (other than being able to be stored in bins) as their non-block counterpart?
Blocks and logs/stones are functionally identical. Blocks let you build "Smooth X Block Wall" as opposed to "Rough X Wall"; I believe these have a higher value and thus make your fort worth more.

Not entirely true.

AFAIK "Blocks" can be used for Construction & Buildings, but not Fabbing. IOW, Blocks can be used for higher value Walls & Workshops, but not Beds, Buckets, Barrels, Bins, etcetera.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 17, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

Is there any possible way to make peace with a civilization? One single human diplomat left unhappy, and now I've been sieged by them twice. I'd like it to stop and get my caravans back if at all possible -- hell, I'd even resort to modding, because this behavior is complete crap. I've had past games where a dozen human caravans died and they never declared, but this time a single diplomat leaving unhappy is enough to provoke war evidently.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2653 on: August 17, 2010, 12:37:59 pm »

A diplomat leaving unhappy should not trigger war.  War shouldn't happen unless you kill the diplomat.

If you keep killing their sieges, they should eventually send a diplomat to make a peace treaty.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 17, 2010, 12:39:12 pm »

Not true, I believe. You cannot make gypsum plaster out of gypsum blocks. My militia commander found this out the difficult way. I'm not sure about other types of block such as lignite.

Edit. My Dwarven Liason officer left the edge of the screen via the caverns 15 layers down ? Unorthodox, but has anybody else seen it happen ?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 12:40:46 pm by Tsarwash »
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 1178