Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120176 times)

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2625 on: August 15, 2010, 01:14:11 pm »

So floors do work; awesome, thanks!

Paved roads could really use a speed up to their construction, though. Like I said, it literally took between two and three years for four architects to pave the floor of my reservoir. It was a huge reservoir (probably more than double the size it needed to be) but still, way too long.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: August 15, 2010, 01:39:37 pm »

Just to check: if I'm in a freezing biome, outdoor plants will not grow under any conditions, correct?  I was hoping to create something like a greenhouse deep underground to raise above-ground crops in a glacier, but it appears this may not be possible.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:09 am »

I got heaps of caged goblins. I got more of them than I got dwarves. What could I use them for? Oh and what do the different colors on goblins mean? Different goblin villages? If so then would 2 different villages attack eachother? That way I could make a goblin arena! Oh the joys that would bring.

Vizx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:49 am »

I got heaps of caged goblins. I got more of them than I got dwarves. What could I use them for? Oh and what do the different colors on goblins mean? Different goblin villages? If so then would 2 different villages attack eachother? That way I could make a goblin arena! Oh the joys that would bring.

Different colors mean different skills (in this case weapon skills). They won't attack each other.

Also, is it possible to build an up staircase as a construction from the tile above (which would have a down staircase)? Basically:

XXVXX
XX^XX
XXXXX

Side view
X = empty space, V = down stair, ^ = up stair.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: August 16, 2010, 09:01:43 am »

I'm not absolutely sure but I do remember myself doing something like that. I know it's possible the other way around though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2630 on: August 16, 2010, 09:04:02 am »

Also, is it possible to build an up staircase as a construction from the tile above (which would have a down staircase)? Basically:
This appears to be possible in DF2010.  It wasn't possible in 40d, but was added to the latest version to make it possible to climb down into a cavern from above.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

psilocybes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: August 16, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »

Little question.  How do I see how much of each armor I have?

Hitting 'z' and going to stocks tells me I have 100? in armor 40? in legwear but what does that mean?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:50 pm »

You need to uise a bookkeeper to improve the precision of your stockpile records.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MagicGuigz

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: August 16, 2010, 08:40:51 pm »

Is the number of bones given by a butchered animal modified by genetics (that is, their physical characteristics)?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: August 16, 2010, 08:42:24 pm »

Paved roads could really use a speed up to their construction, though. Like I said, it literally took between two and three years for four architects to pave the floor of my reservoir. It was a huge reservoir (probably more than double the size it needed to be) but still, way too long.

One thing to speed up work is,  to make stockpiles of the stones you want to use
as near as possible to the future building sites.
This way it is the unskilled haulers who carry the stones as near as possible to the construction sites
(with several stones being carried at the same time),
whereas without such stockpiles, the architect himself would carry the stones,
one at each time from their original location to the sites, thereby usually wasting lots of precious time.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: August 16, 2010, 09:51:21 pm »

One thing to speed up work is,  to make stockpiles of the stones you want to use
as near as possible to the future building sites.
This way it is the unskilled haulers who carry the stones as near as possible to the construction sites
(with several stones being carried at the same time),
whereas without such stockpiles, the architect himself would carry the stones,
one at each time from their original location to the sites, thereby usually wasting lots of precious time.
You can make it even faster by using blocks or metal bars instead of raw stone, since those fit in a bin and will be carried 10 at a time to the construction site.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #2636 on: August 16, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »

Is a Major River or a Volcano dominant in the embark screen? Like, if a given area has both, which will it show up as in the secondary map section?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: August 16, 2010, 11:29:59 pm »

Can you get both? I know Caves trump volcanoes (if you have caves visible = yes).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: August 17, 2010, 05:25:43 am »

What should I do with the leftover captured goblins? I could just kill them in magma but is there anything else to do with them?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: August 17, 2010, 05:59:41 am »

What should I do with the leftover captured goblins? I could just kill them in magma but is there anything else to do with them?

Give your military training weapons and release the goblins one at a time in the barracks.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 1178