Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120290 times)

Shorthanded

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2550 on: August 12, 2010, 10:30:04 pm »

Do you have a meeting zone setup? A dining room will do. Lacking that a zone created with i and set the meeting hall works.

When migrants first arrive they try to go to a meeting. When it's over they stop flashing X.

If that's not the problem (ie: they aren't flashing x) there's another possibility. Jobs set with dwarf therapist don't work if they require tools. Known bug.

Nick

Welp, I do have a meeting hall - this is the third wave of migrants I believe (doubled my fortress population, which is why i was worried they'd all just stand around and starve) strangely the arrival of an elven caravan, and the subsequent hauling involved lit a fire under all except one, a thresher, who is still just standing there. Oh well. Thanks for the reply, it was helpful nonetheless.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 13, 2010, 01:03:26 am »

What does it mean when a workshop's name is coloured red, or brown?
What does "(CLT)" (in different colours) next to a workshop's name mean?
Why won't any of my dwarves drag another dwarf's corpse to the refuse pile?
Is there any way to access a list of all items in the fort? So I can see, say, how many mechanisms I have in a pile instead of using 'k' and going through the whole pile counting?
Feeling down? Click Here!

minozake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 13, 2010, 01:11:45 am »

It means the workshop is cluttered.  More clutter means less production.  Some workshops get cluttered faster than others (e.g. butcher's shop can get cluttered after one animal).  More info: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Clutter

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 13, 2010, 01:18:25 am »

Thanks minozake. Is there any way to look up which items go into which stockpile?
Feeling down? Click Here!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 13, 2010, 01:34:06 am »

The corpse has to be close to the butcher's shop.
So how can I move the corpses close to the shop?
I guess make a refuse pile near the shop that only allows the corpses you want to transport there.
I didn't get a clear answer with the 3D visualizer... I'll try some things but a better answer would be probably needed.
I got a few more questions. How to get blood from barrels to water. I wanna create a temple for Armok but I need bloody rivers for that. I got about 30 barrels full of blood somehow.
I have noticed that magma doesn't melt my slate walls that shouldn't be magma-proof. So can I just build walls out of anything and not worry about lava destroying them?

revereddesecration

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 13, 2010, 03:13:48 am »

I'm more than two years into a fortress and it's fully self-sustaining, my first to achieve that.

I've amassed $56000 in created wealth and have only had one wave of eight immigrants. I've seen the message that no migrants were coming to my fort twice now.

My first few fortresses were pretty bad, I was still learning a lot, but they somehow managed many waves of many migrants.

Surely I should be getting more immigrants?

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 13, 2010, 03:21:38 am »

Well... The only thing I can suggest is to check your population cap. If you don't know what it is then there is no need to check it. 56000 isn't that much... Just keep playing.
Oh and I got Stonesense working. It's incredibly laggy though I did everything to make it faster. Except the screen size. I need a big picture.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:23:56 am by ottottott »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 13, 2010, 03:43:45 am »

Why won't any of my dwarves drag another dwarf's corpse to the refuse pile?
Dead dwarves go in coffins or a graveyard stockpile.

Is there any way to access a list of all items in the fort? So I can see, say, how many mechanisms I have in a pile instead of using 'k' and going through the whole pile counting?
You need a bookkeeper if you want to see lists of items when there are more than 9 items in the list, but go to the (z)-stocks screen.

I have noticed that magma doesn't melt my slate walls that shouldn't be magma-proof. So can I just build walls out of anything and not worry about lava destroying them?
Natural walls don't melt unless they are made out of ice. Constructed walls don't melt.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54:05 am »

Do wood walls melt? Does constructed ice wall melt? Wierdly I had a non-magma proof door and it didn't melt either.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 13, 2010, 03:59:02 am »

Do wood walls melt? Does constructed ice wall melt? Wierdly I had a non-magma proof door and it didn't melt either.

Things will only melt when magma is on the same tile as them. This means that:
1) Constructions will never melt, ever.
2) Doors will not melt unless someone opens them and magma gets on it (same goes for floodgates)

Natural ice walls are a special case, they will melt (into 7/7 water) whenever they are directly next to (flowing?) magma. This includes directly above/below and diagonally. Constructed ice walls will not melt.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 13, 2010, 05:03:13 am »

So, I have a elf demanding that I cut only 100 trees this year.

Question : do the underground trees (black cap, tunnel tube etc.) count toward the tree cap, or is it only aboveground trees (oak, willow...) ?

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:51 am »

So, I have a elf demanding that I cut only 100 trees this year.

Question : do the underground trees (black cap, tunnel tube etc.) count toward the tree cap, or is it only aboveground trees (oak, willow...) ?

Yes, underground 'trees' count towards this.

In previous versions, though (I don't know about the latest one), they only checked how much wood was in your stockpiles. You could cut 150 trees, but as long as you use at least 50 of those logs before the elves come back next year, they won't notice. I think.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:49:50 pm by Particleman »

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:16 am »

This is gonna be so epic! I could build a ice castle that is filled with lava! Muhahaha!
Can I transport actual amounts of water with a bucket? I would like to get water to a building but pumping or letting it flow there would waste almost all the water and would require me to break a lot of that building.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:37:09 am by ottottott »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 13, 2010, 06:10:41 am »

One bucket carries 1/7 water.

EDIT: A better answer to your question: Yes, but it will take a long time if the area you want filled is large.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 13, 2010, 07:00:55 am »

The water carried there dries off before the water carrier gets back. And there is only 1 dwarf carrying water. How could I get more dwarves to carry water? I checked that I have many more buckets and many idle dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:12:51 am by ottottott »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 1178