Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120333 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2490 on: August 10, 2010, 06:22:18 pm »

Haha, I think I'll dam up the river and divert it through my fortress, and have it pumped back out on the other side of the dam right back into the brook, then.

That sounds pretty fun to do, actually...
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 10, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »

And add a series of floodgates so I can turn the river on and off at will in the first place.

Okay another question! I've been trying to clear huge swathes of stone away before flooding an area, but.. what are items designated as when selected for dumping? Are they refuse now, or are they what they were originally, like stone. And is Dumping an extremely low priority, because they take ages and ages.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 10, 2010, 07:37:52 pm »

They go to a garbage dump. You can put one right next to your mason's workshop and then reclaim the stone so they don't have to walk far. Course, you could end up with vermin in it, but what's better, 500 stone next to your workshop with a few rotting rats mixed in, or 1 stone right next to your workshop?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »

Yes, I know it goes to a garbage dump, but they don't seem to wanna haul it when I turn on stone hauling! If I  turn on refuse hauling though, a dozen dwarves suddenly unidle and sprint towards them. Or the stone hauling might be a delayed reaction.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »

But it is refuse hauling.

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 10, 2010, 08:50:39 pm »

So.. uh... how exactly do you get a working military now? I've got a squad training constantly with wooden weapons, but in 2-3 years of training (and yes, they actually spar) they have only become 'dabbing' axedwarves. Queue my first ambush where every one of the dies to no kills...

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2496 on: August 11, 2010, 04:29:45 am »

I've had the same problem too with some of my dwarfs...  :-[
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 11, 2010, 05:24:45 am »

So.. uh... how exactly do you get a working military now? I've got a squad training constantly with wooden weapons, but in 2-3 years of training (and yes, they actually spar) they have only become 'dabbing' axedwarves. Queue my first ambush where every one of the dies to no kills...
first of all give them real weapons and armor. Sparring now is almost perfectly wound-free and armor user skill is far better for dorfs than just weapon skill. Don't forget to vary your squad melee weapons. Axedwarves tend to miss, but they are deadly, once target been stunned with mace or hammer.

I also noticed, that no dorf got higher than proficient through sparring and practicing. It makes some sense though.
I recomend to order your military to exterminate local wildlife. It brings experience faster than training, AND lots of slaughter  makes dorfs hardened individuals, who don't care 'bout their buddies.

Best way is to break through all caverns somewhere in a distance from your fortress, and just guard exit with your squads.
This way i got several legendary weaponmasters in one year.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 11, 2010, 06:58:15 am »

I need help constructing a pump. Since all my water is salty. And I've run out of brewable stuff, which is wierd since I have a bit plump farm: s
This is my situation.

Blue = Water (Ocean)
Brown = Layers
Green = Door
Black = Wall/Floor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried it, (copying my saves), but I just flodded the whole damn thing :/

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 11, 2010, 07:13:10 am »

I need help constructing a pump. Since all my water is salty. And I've run out of brewable stuff, which is wierd since I have a bit plump farm: s
This is my situation.

Blue = Water (Ocean)
Brown = Layers
Green = Door
Black = Wall/Floor

umm... where did you place your pump? It has to have walls near unpassable tile in order not to flood around.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:28 am »

This is my situation.

Blue = Water (Ocean)
Brown = Layers
Green = Door
Black = Wall/Floor

umm... where did you place your pump? It has to have walls near unpassable tile in order not to flood around.

Red = Pump
This is how I did.
Should I've placed the pump one tile below?
I don't know how to do Windmills and Waterwheels. And my time is limited on how long I can take on doing this, one of my dwarf died of thirst last time I was finished.
So I need to pump it manualy untill I get that sorted.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:20:02 am by Ladde »

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 11, 2010, 07:29:56 am »

This is my situation.

Blue = Water (Ocean)
Brown = Layers
Green = Door
Black = Wall/Floor

Red = Pump
This is how I did.
Should I've placed the pump one tile below?
I don't know how to do Windmills and Waterwheels. And my time is limited on how long I can take on doing this, one of my dwarf died of thirst last time I was finished.
So I need to pump it manualy untill I get that sorted.

the pump pumps the water from adjacent tile below to its own level. So yes, basically you pumped that room full of water. Either place a door one level higher, or move pump one level lower. That way it shouldn't overflow

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 11, 2010, 07:41:54 am »

I have a little question, tried the search to no avail.

In the [R]oom/Building List, some of the rooms are coloured in red, with a bracketed capital S, like so.

Modest Bedroom
Modest Bedroom

Modest Bedroom (S)         <----
Grand Dining Room (S)      <----

At first I thought it meant suspended, but the rooms are all complete.  What does it mean? 

Vertibird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 11, 2010, 07:51:06 am »

I have a little question, tried the search to no avail.

In the [R]oom/Building List, some of the rooms are coloured in red, with a bracketed capital S, like so.

Modest Bedroom
Modest Bedroom

Modest Bedroom (S)         <----
Grand Dining Room (S)      <----

At first I thought it meant suspended, but the rooms are all complete.  What does it mean?

this usually means that something in the room is suspended, should it be furniture placing, or some other order. If there is no such works, then idk what it means. Must be some bug.

Arbitrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:05 am »

Probably a buglet then, just noticed 4 pages of coffers, beds and doors with the same thing.  Must have been things that were suspended due to blocking stone, and are not being untagged when contruction resumes.  Oh well, cheers for the answer.  I-

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1178