Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120367 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2475 on: August 10, 2010, 03:24:58 am »

Is there anyway to make someone do something they're not trained in?

Eg. Immigrant McImmigrant arrives with no skills. I want him to mine. Turn on mining. Stand about doing nothing for a year.
For mining specifically, and woodcutting, there must be a free pick or axe. It's no use telling someone to mine with their bare hands.  Copper, despite its malleability, makes a perfectly fine mining pick, plus it's cheap and common. Make a pick at a metalsmith's forge.

Question:
How can I make my world deeper? I keep embarking in worlds/sites that are only about 40 floors deep, often with only one or even zero levels between cavern levels. I'd rather have maybe ~20 to the first cave, and another 10-15 between cavern levels, and then even more, maybe, between the last cavern and the surface of the magma sea.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:26:46 am by Passive Fist »

Fergusbarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: August 10, 2010, 03:43:00 am »

For mining specifically, and woodcutting, there must be a free pick or axe. It's no use telling someone to mine with their bare hands.  Copper, despite its malleability, makes a perfectly fine mining pick, plus it's cheap and common. Make a pick at a metalsmith's forge.

But I mean even with a veritable wealth of unused picks it seems that no one wants to use them!

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: August 10, 2010, 04:48:06 am »

But I mean even with a veritable wealth of unused picks it seems that no one wants to use them!
Well, gotta do the normal troubleshooting then. Are the picks physically accessible? Are they forbidden?

LtGreeneyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: August 10, 2010, 06:06:49 am »

Question:
How can I make my world deeper? I keep embarking in worlds/sites that are only about 40 floors deep, often with only one or even zero levels between cavern levels. I'd rather have maybe ~20 to the first cave, and another 10-15 between cavern levels, and then even more, maybe, between the last cavern and the surface of the magma sea.
Possibly try embarking in the mountains?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: August 10, 2010, 06:51:14 am »

Question:

You can set it in the advanced parameters when you gen a world. Best of all, from posts I've seen around here, changing the underground does not change aboveground features. So, if you have a nice embark, when you regen, it will still look mostly the same.

Is it possible to stop the digging designation canceled damp stone notification?

Sort of. You can make it stop the pause and recentre, so it just tells you at the bottom of the screen.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: August 10, 2010, 07:29:04 am »

I'm sure it has been answered multiple times, but I can't find it and it's not easily searchable due to the very common word used, but...

What are these colored letters on the side of the screen ? (the red "C" and the cyan "S")

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: August 10, 2010, 07:35:13 am »

Combat is 'C', there's one in between the two to denote hunting events, and the 'S' denotes sparring events.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:00 am »

Means you have combat reports, for combat and sparring as mentioned by Strawberry bunny. Press r to view them.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: August 10, 2010, 07:46:47 am »

Poochyfud

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: August 10, 2010, 12:37:10 pm »

Oh, I didn't see this thread. Nice.

Anyway, I already posted a topic, but maybe I'll get an answer here. Does anybody know how to change the max fortress population in this new version of DF?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: August 10, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »

its still in the init.txt, or d_init.txt.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: August 10, 2010, 02:22:42 pm »

Are you turning on mining and woodcutting with Dwarf Therapist? For some reason they don't work right with DT and you have to toggle them manually fromt he game itself.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: August 10, 2010, 04:10:39 pm »

After resorting to pumping out my accidentally over-flooded farms (I got distracted by the sudden arrival of my first caravan when we were starving, and a dwarf going insane. For some reason this fortress is a ton harder than any before), I noticed that the water flowing into the brook disappeared. Can a brook or river be used like an aquifer in that manner, just be able to drop as much water as you want into it and have it flow off the edge without overflowing the thing?

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: August 10, 2010, 04:43:36 pm »

The tiles at the end of the brook will take in an infinite amount of water, so as long as you don't fill it too fast you can use it as a drain.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: August 10, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »

Haha, I think I'll dam up the river and divert it through my fortress, and have it pumped back out on the other side of the dam right back into the brook, then.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 1178