Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120410 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2385 on: August 07, 2010, 04:33:35 am »

Are the elves going to be pissed if I cut down fungus trees in my caverns? I'm trying to not slaughter elves unnecessarily until I have enough lava traps set up to do so effortlessly.

you can check how many trees you can fell with "c" and selecting elfs and then pressing "tab" to change the view mode.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2386 on: August 07, 2010, 07:03:35 am »

Are the elves going to be pissed if I cut down fungus trees in my caverns? I'm trying to not slaughter elves unnecessarily until I have enough lava traps set up to do so effortlessly.
Trees are trees.  The elves don't care if they're above-ground trees or underground fungus trees.  If you embark in a treeless desert, irrigate it and make it into a forest, and then cut those trees down that wouldn't have ever existed without you they'll still get mad.

They also don't actually care how many trees you cut down, but actually base their anger off how much wood you have in your stockpile when they arrive.  So if you cut down a thousand trees but use up the wood before their diplomat arrives, they won't be any the wiser.  On the other hand if you don't cut down any trees but instead buy lots and just stockpile them, they'll get angry.  Bunch of hypocrites. 
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Alverick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 07, 2010, 12:21:27 pm »

A noob question, on wich stockpile does coke goes? I mean how can I make a custom stockpile only with coke?

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 07, 2010, 01:13:20 pm »

A noob question, on wich stockpile does coke goes? I mean how can I make a custom stockpile only with coke?
Make a stockpile with Bars/Block turned on. Then just choose coke :)
Use the wikia: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Stockpile and search för coke.

Question 1:
How many z levels can an archer fire down/up?

Question 2:
Is it possible to make so my military dwarfs equip trainingweapons every time they go training? Or do I have to do that manualy?

Question 3:
I'm confused about the Equipment screen. Or rather the uniform screen. How do I know what kind of armor I should use?
Isn't "metal" stuff best? And I read something about layers, how do I know which one who work with eachother?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:50:51 pm by Ladde »

Leohoh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 07, 2010, 01:58:24 pm »

My squad of markdwarfs on training are most time doing/watching demonstrations and on combat drill. I don't know exactly what this means, but they aren't supposed to train with the archery target too?

Dragonator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 07, 2010, 02:59:28 pm »

I've just started out with this game and after some research I think I'm ready to start my first fortress, but I still have a lot of little questions. Here are the most immediate ones:

• The wiki page says ballistae have an angle of 20-30 degrees of fire. Does that mean that the bolt will not necessarily go in a straight line? If that's so how wide should a corridor be to avoid it hitting the walls before it reaches the end wall and falls to the collection pit?
  • When the bolts fall into the collection pit do they stack if more than one bolt falls on the same tile or is there a limit to the number of bolts on one tile?
  • What is the best distance I should maintain between the invaders and the ballista operator in order not to scare him off? Does this still work if he is behind a series of fortifications (i.e. a 3x5 section filled with fortifications)?
  • Is there a minimum range for the ballista and/or regular archers/crosbowdwarfs?
  • Will traps be triggered by friendlies such as pets, caravans or other visitors (if there are any), and if so which ones?
  • Can floodgates be destroyed by building destroyers?
  • Do drawbridges work underground? If so, do I have to channel out under them or can I just leave them on normal ground?
  • Can tower-caps be farmed on farm plots or only by flooding large underground areas and hoping for the best?
  • Are the noise distances the same as in 40d?

Thank you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 07, 2010, 03:17:12 pm »

1. Ballista bolt will travel in a straight line, but the direction of that line will vary
2. No and No
3. Fortifications will do nothing. Your siege operators will panic if an enemy gets too close, even if they're walled in with thre ballista.
4. The ballista has an effective minimum rage, as the operators will run away. Personal ranged weapon users will start whacking enemies with their weapon if they get too close
5. No to pets, no to caravans, yes to some thieves and invaders
6. Yes
7. Yes, and depending on what you want to do.
8. Only by flooding, once you've breached a cavern
9. Nobody's sure, byt I don't think so.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 07, 2010, 03:52:41 pm »

Trees are trees.  The elves don't care if they're above-ground trees or underground fungus trees.  If you embark in a treeless desert, irrigate it and make it into a forest, and then cut those trees down that wouldn't have ever existed without you they'll still get mad.

They also don't actually care how many trees you cut down, but actually base their anger off how much wood you have in your stockpile when they arrive.  So if you cut down a thousand trees but use up the wood before their diplomat arrives, they won't be any the wiser.  On the other hand if you don't cut down any trees but instead buy lots and just stockpile them, they'll get angry.  Bunch of hypocrites.

So... if you deleted your wood stockpile...
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Dragonator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 07, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »

Thank you for the reply but some answers are a little vague.
  • So if I fire a ballista bolt down a corridor of 1sq width with a channel for collecting bolts at the end, is it likely that it will hit the side of the corridor before reaching the end?
  • If for example 3 bolts hit the wall and fall in the ditch under the wall, will there be one or three bolts left there to collect?
  • So how far away should I place my ballista from the enemies? The wiki is a little vague giving between 5 and 20 squares distance.
  • If my archers are on a wall or cliff or in an otherwise inaccessible area for the enemy, meaning they would have to go a very long way to get to the enemy that is right under their nose in the lower z level, will they switch to melee too or will they keep firing through the fortification?
  • I know I have to find a underground cavern first. That's why I always dig an experimental staircase first chance I get. But I was wondering if I can plant them myself like plump helmets or if I have to wait for them to grow like regular trees in random positions.
  • And a few new questions: Can drawbridges be destroyed by building destroyers? I know they will be destroyed if I try the AtomSmasher trick with too big a beast and drop the bridge on it's head.
  • Just checking to see if I understand. The AtomSmasher is when you build a drawbridge over flat terrain and lower it over something that is on the tiles it is supposed to lower on. Everything on those tiles disappears forever, unless it's a big enough beast, in which case the bridge disappears and the beast laughs it off.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 07, 2010, 05:25:37 pm »

1. Yes. It will probably hit the wall
2. 3. There is no limit to number of items in a square.
3. I'm not quite sure.
4. They will only go into melee if they are engaged in melee by the enemy or run out of ammo.
5. You cannot plant them.
6. I think so.
7. That's how as atom smasher works.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 07, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »

Out of the 3 cats (not kittens, although they had recently matured) I butchered, only one of them yielded anything other than a skull. Which was 6 meat and 6 or 7 fat.

Why isn't one of my dwarves growing fat off cat?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:04 pm »

So i'd finally decided that now was the time to get into DF2010/DF10/30.12/whatever its called. I pick a decent tileset, download the latest version, start a fort. I go to setup my keybindings such that / and * control z levels (maydays graphics pack got me used to that and i can't go back), and so that space exits menus instead of escape. All is going well in dwarf land, until i start do do some work orders. "rock*exit*. Aww shit"

So, is there anyway to revert exiting from the work order search screen specifically to something other than space, or should i start getting used to escape?
Magma is overrated.

Magio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 07, 2010, 10:48:53 pm »

Did a quick fourm search, and this question was asked earlier in the thread, but noone answered it.

Do broken bones on dwarves eventually knit together without healthcare?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 08, 2010, 12:59:58 am »

Did a quick fourm search, and this question was asked earlier in the thread, but noone answered it.

Do broken bones on dwarves eventually knit together without healthcare?

I would love to know this.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:26 am »

They keep telling me I to only cut down ~100 trees. But since my stockpile is only 10x10, no matter how many I cut they won't get mad? That's pretty silly. But useful to know, I don't want to handle the caverns and a pump stack yet to get magma for my smelters.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 1178