Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120453 times)

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2370 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:35 pm »

It's in the (o)rders menu. The skill level has no effect, but it gives Grower xp. I think you just don't have enough dedicated growers (if you have two (incase one is Zing), your farm must be huge) or stockpile space, and in the latter case you just are making more food than you need.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 06, 2010, 12:43:28 pm »

I visited abandoned fortress for first time and started to think if adventurer mode affects fort mode, just like fortress mode affects adventurer mode. If I die in the fort and reclaim it is it possible to find items that the adventurer brought there?

visiting the fort was awesome though it was just a small meant for visiting in adv. mode. When I lose REAL fort I can actually find some good loot inside it in adv. mode.

Also, how can I survive in tundra, without any watersource to use for farming? Are caverns the only way? I've heard the mud in caverns disappears when reclaiming which could be problem if i'm going to reclaim that tundra fort. I did NOT breach into the caverns, so any chance for mud being there?
The mud will be gone because of a bug. However, if you look hard enough some of them should still have a pool of water you can manual pump to make mud.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
Fun

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 06, 2010, 12:52:45 pm »

Fortress stickyplants has fallen, it was run by the revered machines. Did that civilization die with the fort or can they start another?

EDIT: no one has an answer? :(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:09:25 pm by timtek »
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 06, 2010, 01:01:29 pm »

It's in the (o)rders menu. The skill level has no effect, but it gives Grower xp. I think you just don't have enough dedicated growers (if you have two (incase one is Zing), your farm must be huge) or stockpile space, and in the latter case you just are making more food than you need.

yeah, i think its not quite enough dedicated growers and waaaaaay too much farm space. My farm is freaking huge. Is there anyway i can just temporarily disable some farm plots other than removing everything that'd be planted at them?

LotSX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 06, 2010, 01:04:14 pm »

How do I destroy my own fortifications? I kind of trapped my dwarves on a wall, and I really need to destroy them...

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: August 06, 2010, 03:19:20 pm »

How do I destroy my own fortifications? I kind of trapped my dwarves on a wall, and I really need to destroy them...
I think it is d - n. Remove constructions.
its in the Destignation menu atleast.

Sakir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: August 06, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »

I'm trying to get a hospital up and running but I can't seem to get any powder for casts.  I made gypsum plaster in a kiln, but my dwarves won't bring it to the hospital.  I tried using the stockpile method in the wiki, but even though it's sitting in a stockpile within the hospital it says that I have no powder for casts.

Will it work anyway or am I doing something wrong?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59:12 pm »

Hospitals not storing gypsum powder is a known bug.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2378 on: August 06, 2010, 05:21:47 pm »

so my plants are rotting in the fields. What labor involves harvesting plants from my farm plots? Farming (fields) or Plant Gathering?

it's actually controlled from the o)rders menu; in default mode, any dwarf not busy doing hir "real" job can harvest plants. (Only growers plant them. And Plant Gathering is done by a herbalist off wild-growing bushes.) If no one's harvesting in your fort.. maybe you used Dwarf Therapist to switch off everyone's Food Hauling orders? Or your food stockpiles are full/aren't accessible?
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: August 06, 2010, 05:53:54 pm »

I remember reading that rivers could be drained off another part of the map by carving fortifications.  Whenever I try to designate 'carve fortifications' nothing happens (it doesn't look like a designation is made).  When I try to build fortifications as a building, I get a message that it is too close to the map edge within several squares of the edge.  Is this still possible to do?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:42 pm »

You have to smooth a tile before you can carve fortifications in it.

Edit: You can also only smooth/fortify stone. Generally obvious, but worth stating for completeness.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:51:33 pm by StrawberryBunny »
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: August 07, 2010, 12:40:58 am »

Hospitals not storing gypsum powder is a known bug.
However medical dwarfs will still use it for casts, even if it isn't stored in the hospital. Though obviously if you have your hospital as a burrow, you'll need to make sure there's plaster powder within reach.

Can marksdwarfs fire across multiple z-levels? I have this awesome sheer ravine across my map that I've drained and I want to use it as the entrance to my base - I want fortifications for my archers all up the cliffs, but will they be able to fire down into the gorge?

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: August 07, 2010, 12:46:45 am »

Yes.
Fun

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: August 07, 2010, 01:15:19 am »

Are the elves going to be pissed if I cut down fungus trees in my caverns? I'm trying to not slaughter elves unnecessarily until I have enough lava traps set up to do so effortlessly.

Maw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: August 07, 2010, 03:26:01 am »

<snip> I'm trying to not slaughter elves unnecessarily <snip>
This part had me frowning...

<snip> until I have enough lava traps set up to do so effortlessly.

... until I read this - good save.
The three stages of information assimilation in bay 12:
1)horror
2)curiosity
3)weaponization
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 1178