Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120485 times)

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2340 on: August 05, 2010, 07:58:57 am »

I'm trying to build a well in my fortress.
I have water on the same level as the well should be on. I don't know how to get a well below watersource Z-level. Is it possible with the U-bent technic?

All I can do with my well now is "r: make meeting hall"

And how can I make my training dwarfs to switch to training weapons when they are training?
Do I have to go in on the military screen everytime I want them to equip training gear?

Cheers.

I think they won't transfer it if the lye is in a bucket along with water as seems to happen a lot to me.  Just 'k' over the bucket to check.
There are no water in my buckets :/

Edit:
Nevermind now, I just had my first Goblin ambush. I love it! But the fortress is no more. 20 casualties and the 23 left will probobly end in deppression and rage.
Feel free to answer the questions anyway :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:21:40 am by Ladde »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 05, 2010, 08:18:27 am »

You don't need to do anything special to wells other than put water under them for dwarves to be able to get water from them. Dwarves will run over and get water whenever they need it.

Or stop water from going into places you don't want it to, you need to break the pressure somehow. I believe that a diagonal gap without an orthogontal gap still breaks pressure, or you can use a pump.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:56 am »

How do I restrict my dwarfs from going outside?
Do I have to make my whole fortress a burrow and then restrict them to that burrow?

Is it possible to add a burrow infront of the gate and make so that my dwarfs are not allowed to pass through that burrow?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 05, 2010, 11:38:47 am »

I can't see a way to tell dwarfs to not enter a burrow, easiest way is just to make your entire fortress a burrow, just press enter on the top z level, scroll down to the bottom level and make a rectangle to cover the area you want them to use, hit enter and you're done.  Takes 10 seconds, you can add on extra bits after if needed.

Or just lock your main doors outside, don't give them any reason to go out?  The only reason mine go outdoors is hunting, fishing if I had water and to dump refuse in the stockpiles outside but that could all easily be stopped.

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 05, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »

A bunch of my dwarves are idling even though there are tons of jobs to be done. All the jobs are not suspended, and all the dwarves have the necessary labors active. What's goin' on?

edit: I remember. I mass forbid about half of my stone stocks, including the ones used in half of my buildings.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:29:22 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:47 pm »

Maybe you have a civic alert running which prevents the dwarfs to leave a certain burrow.
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:14 pm »

I have two questions relating to caverns.
1. Does every map have them?
2. How does one find them?
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 05, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »

Yes.

Dig down!  :D  Some caverns tend to be more like lots of tunnels than big open spaces so it is possible to mine down and miss some because you tunnel right through some rock formations and you dwarfs don't see the cavern itself.  There should generally be three separate cavern systems, then the magma sea then other stuff.  Quickest way is just to designate up/down stairs d->i, click your mouse where you want the stairs to go, hold the button down then just move down levels as normal, > for me, and you'll designate a massive stairwell to be dug.

Icarosaurvus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 05, 2010, 12:48:15 pm »

About how deep do they tend to be?
I have dug to negative level 20, following various veins of rock to explore each level, and have not yet hit one.
Dwarven philosophers wonder not the meaning of life, for the meaning of life is to mine.
Rather, they ponder over the meaning of soap, a riddle no dwarf has yet found the answer to.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: August 05, 2010, 12:57:36 pm »

Is there a way to disable the "Warm stone location" message? Kinda annoying when you dig out for Magma smelters. Have to unpause and re design where they should dig.

LtGreeneyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:31 pm »

What do the red C, green H and blue S mean on the left side of the screen in fortress mode?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: August 05, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »

About how deep do they tend to be?
I have dug to negative level 20, following various veins of rock to explore each level, and have not yet hit one.
Hmm you might just be really unlucky at finding them?  My first one is around 30 levels down from the ground.  Unless you've changed anything in the world generator files or are still playing version 40d? :P

I can only suggest digging more exploratary tunnels sorry. :/

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: August 05, 2010, 01:04:11 pm »

What do the red C, green H and blue S mean on the left side of the screen in fortress mode?
That you have Reports to view.
Press "r" I think it is.

C is for Combat, S is for Sparring... I think.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »

Do lignite and bituminous coal walls/floors (natural or artificial) burn/explode?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2354 on: August 05, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

I think constructions are indestructible.

However my artifact bitumious coal bed can be set on fire, useful thing to have when especially stupid mandate is made...  8)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1178