Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120514 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2310 on: August 01, 2010, 11:27:41 pm »

Follow-up to a question I posted here a while back.  You CAN get extracts out of purchased barrels so you can use the barrels.  (helpful if you have extremely limited wood.)

Get the barrels out of the depot (might be other ways, but deconstructing the depot will do it in a pinch)
Forbid the *contents* of the barrel
Wait for another caravan
Set the barrels to be loaded into the depot.  Ypur dwarves will dump the extracts on the ground before moving the barrels to the depot.

Good use of bugs to cancel other bugs! That "contents dumping" is VERY annoying when the extract in question is the thousand dbuck gnome blight.
or booze.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: August 02, 2010, 12:17:32 pm »

I was thinking of mining a shaft from the top of my fort where all the coal, iron and flux are down to the magma sea where my metal industry will be so I can mark all the required materials for dumping down the shaft which should be an awful lot faster than hauling everything ~100 z levels down.  Is this going to turn out to be the ultimate stonefall trap and kill all my furnace operators as they haul the ore from the bottom of the shaft to the smelters?

I could train them all in the military until they are legendary dodgers...if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a hurtling lump of lignite?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: August 02, 2010, 12:20:43 pm »

I was thinking of mining a shaft from the top of my fort where all the coal, iron and flux are down to the magma sea where my metal industry will be so I can mark all the required materials for dumping down the shaft which should be an awful lot faster than hauling everything ~100 z levels down.  Is this going to turn out to be the ultimate stonefall trap and kill all my furnace operators as they haul the ore from the bottom of the shaft to the smelters?

I could train them all in the military until they are legendary dodgers...if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a hurtling lump of lignite?
dropped items don't deal damage, even dropping other creatures on another creature won't hurt the bottom one, and that's actually a great idea, I may implement that in my own fort.
Nom nom nom

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: August 02, 2010, 02:05:15 pm »

Hmmm might need to do something differently next time, my legendary miner just fell to his death down the shaft, I think he must have just been channeling downwards until he met where another miner had already channelled some out.  Maybe just use one miner to avoid that! ><

Edit:  And that's a second miner seriously injured after falling two or three z levels.  More experience for my hospital team I guess \o/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:12:56 pm by Torgan »

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: August 02, 2010, 02:33:23 pm »

What level is optimum to have your fortifications on? I have my foritifications one z-level above the ground and still goblins pegged some of my archers. I thought fortifications were supposed to protect against arrows fired upon them?

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: August 02, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »

AFAIK there is no optimum level - the higher you build them, the farther away the enemy is... That means they're going to have a much harder time hitting your archers, but also means your archers will have a somewhat shorter range back.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: August 02, 2010, 03:34:38 pm »

Hmmm might need to do something differently next time, my legendary miner just fell to his death down the shaft, I think he must have just been channeling downwards until he met where another miner had already channelled some out.  Maybe just use one miner to avoid that! ><

Edit:  And that's a second miner seriously injured after falling two or three z levels.  More experience for my hospital team I guess \o/

When I dig a pit, I put an Up/down staircase next to it first. That way the miners are digging the pit from the side. Then I just floor off the stairs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bakuryu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: August 03, 2010, 01:40:34 pm »

Howdy, I wanted to ask how long does it usually take for goblins / invasion of whatever to come? It's been about 2 years since I started the fort, I have 60+ dwarfs and I haven't gotten any baddies wanting to eat my dorfs ;<
 And I want bloodshed!

Thanks

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: August 03, 2010, 02:03:42 pm »

80 is the standard threshold.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: August 03, 2010, 03:09:26 pm »

How do I hunt now in DF2010? I have a hunter with the job, I assigned him to a squad and he picked an xbow, but he don't pick ammos or hunt?

This game get more and more obfuscated alas...

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:33 pm »

Howdy, I wanted to ask how long does it usually take for goblins / invasion of whatever to come? It's been about 2 years since I started the fort, I have 60+ dwarfs and I haven't gotten any baddies wanting to eat my dorfs ;<
 And I want bloodshed!

Thanks

If they have access to the site you chose, you should at least have ambushers fairly early on. 80 is the standard threshold for the real "fun" to start, I believe.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: August 03, 2010, 09:23:24 pm »

And I want bloodshed!

Thanks
Make sure you neighbor them. Do you get caravans from anyone other than dwarves? If not, you are probably on an island inaccessible to everyone but them (Dwarves are magically everywhere. That or they are so committed to getting to you they tunnel under the sea)
I feel kind of stupid asking, but is there any way to change the direction of a ramp?
Ramps don't have direction. Any Dorf on a ramp is magically on two z-levels, and can walk in any direction on either level, as long as there's something to walk on.

If you want to change an Up Ramp to a Down Ramp you'll have to destroy it and build a new one.
No, that's not how they work. They only connect to walls, not floors, so
    ___     ___ ___         ___
___∆### and ###∆### and ___∆#__ work but

___     ___ ___         ___
___∆___ and ___∆___ and ___∆_## don't
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: August 03, 2010, 09:56:34 pm »

Also,

_________ ________
              ∆#

Would only allow the dwarf to travel to the right.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bartleby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:38 pm »

How do I hunt now in DF2010? I have a hunter with the job, I assigned him to a squad and he picked an xbow, but he don't pick ammos or hunt?

This game get more and more obfuscated alas...

You need to assign bolts to the Hunters in the Military Screen. No need to assign him to a squad thou.

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: August 04, 2010, 01:45:06 am »

when I go to my depot and hit q-g does it list worn equipment or equipment of individual dwarves? Or is everything listed safe to trade aside from non-kosher elf stuff and mandates?
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 1178