Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120519 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2295 on: August 01, 2010, 03:12:33 am »

Are marksdwarves still broken in the current release? I'm attempting to train one. His squad schedule is marked as training, he has access bolts and a crossbow, and there is an archery target (with adequate space) set up for his squad's training, yet he never goes and shoots. He always just drills in the barracks, which I'm pretty sure increases Hammerdwarf. What am I doing wrong? He's in the active/training default alert phase, if that helps.
Try an archers-only squad.

My archers-only squad occasionally trains. It doesn't train often (only four have stopped being recruits) but it does sometimes.

Nick

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 01, 2010, 05:17:21 am »

Are marksdwarves still broken in the current release? I'm attempting to train one. His squad schedule is marked as training, he has access bolts and a crossbow, and there is an archery target (with adequate space) set up for his squad's training, yet he never goes and shoots. He always just drills in the barracks, which I'm pretty sure increases Hammerdwarf. What am I doing wrong? He's in the active/training default alert phase, if that helps.
Try an archers-only squad.

My archers-only squad occasionally trains. It doesn't train often (only four have stopped being recruits) but it does sometimes.

Nick
archer only squads have worked for me. I think they only use wood bolts to train but i havent tested it much. 

my question
Has anybody got a good solution to getting marksdwarfs stationed? Using the move command in the squads menu doesn't seem to let them leave to get bolts when they run out and the kill command wont work through fortifications.

Pitah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: August 01, 2010, 08:23:05 am »

^Define a new 1 tile wide burrow hugging the fortifications. When in need, order your squad to defend it in the schedules menu. Preferably set the minimal number of dwarves to 1-3 lower than the squad size so they eat/drink.

Wits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 01, 2010, 08:35:39 am »

Why do my planted [SPRING] crops keep disappearing when summer comes?

I have been trying to make farming harder by increasing the growdurs of crops. This, however, led to a problem when winter came; apparently, all planted crops disappear come winter, which means that if you plant a long-growdur plant too late, it will disappear a year later, which sucks because it is difficult to estimate when it's still safe to plant. I tried restricting all crops to be planted at spring so as to avoid accidentally planting them too late, but then all of my planted fields reverted to unplanted come summer. This should not be happening, no? I didn't find a bug report on this, so maybe it's a feature? How does this work? Can plants only grow during their "planting" season, which means long-growdur plants always require year-round planting potential?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 01, 2010, 10:57:09 am »

I feel kind of stupid asking, but is there any way to change the direction of a ramp?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:35 am »

Nope. Up and down are the only choices.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 01, 2010, 12:31:14 pm »

however surrounding walls & the adjacent floors above will determine what direction(s) they're used from.

Remember, ramps require an adjacent Wall (which is somewhat difficult for you dorfs to walk through (though it's occurred to me fortifications should let them shoot through), & a floor adjacent to the tile above to walk on. I believe the "floor" can be the top of the wall.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 01, 2010, 01:10:31 pm »

I feel kind of stupid asking, but is there any way to change the direction of a ramp?
Ramps don't have direction. Any Dorf on a ramp is magically on two z-levels, and can walk in any direction on either level, as long as there's something to walk on.

If you want to change an Up Ramp to a Down Ramp you'll have to destroy it and build a new one.

JoeQuabla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 01, 2010, 03:58:20 pm »

How long does mud last?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2304 on: August 01, 2010, 04:26:03 pm »

How long does mud last?
Forever, provided the mud is on unsmoothed indoor rock floors.  Dwarves will clean mud from smoothed rock or constructed floor.  Mud will also be removed if you abandon and reclaim.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Pitah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 01, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »

Does item quality increase melting temperature?
If not, any reasons why is a masterwork silver bolt still on the bottom of my magma moat after a season? Got temp on, already managed to melt several hundred silver arrows in magma, so I'm kinda baffled.

Edit: Melted right as I loaded. Must've glitched out or something.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:59:31 am by Pitah »

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 01, 2010, 06:56:44 pm »

What can I make to stack a bunch of my bone bolts (ammo) in storage?

Also, what can I make to stack gems?

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2307 on: August 01, 2010, 07:52:34 pm »

Also, what can I make to stack gems?

A gem stockpile will use bins if they are available.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 01, 2010, 08:26:07 pm »

Well, one of my dwarves got his spine bruised/broken, whatever. He'll never use crutches, will he?

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09:31 pm »

Follow-up to a question I posted here a while back.  You CAN get extracts out of purchased barrels so you can use the barrels.  (helpful if you have extremely limited wood.)

Get the barrels out of the depot (might be other ways, but deconstructing the depot will do it in a pinch)
Forbid the *contents* of the barrel
Wait for another caravan
Set the barrels to be loaded into the depot.  Ypur dwarves will dump the extracts on the ground before moving the barrels to the depot.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 1178