Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120630 times)

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2235 on: July 28, 2010, 06:31:32 am »

Ok here is a small question:

When I trap a Goblin, he will be transferred with the cage to my "animal" stockpile. But when I try to move him to another cage via "q -> assign etc." the Goblin will always be set free and then run around in my fortress, causing small puppies and dogs to die.

So, how can I set up a Goblin zoo or something like that, without freeing the greenling?

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: July 28, 2010, 07:11:21 am »

I'm stuck with one miner at the moment and as a result, it takes a long time to mine rooms. Is there any way to change someones proffesion and turn them into a miner?

Yes and no. Are you using Dwarf Therapist? If not, you should be, I can't remember how to do it in Dorf Fortress. Do a search on it. What you can do is enable mining for another dwarf, although this doesnt necessarily change his profession, which is just the skill he's best at IIRC. Another little caveat is whether you have another pick on hand. If there's nothing to mine with, he wont be able to help.

A quick note. Unless it's been solved on the Dwarf Therapist side (I wouldn't know, I don't use it) assigning jobs to dwarves that involve picking something up (miner and woodcutter) can be a bit glitchy.
I haven’t noticed any problems. Unless that is, we’re talking about jobs in a literal sense as opposed to just enabling labors. Ive been able to enable labors and they work just fine.
Ok here is a small question:

When I trap a Goblin, he will be transferred with the cage to my "animal" stockpile. But when I try to move him to another cage via "q -> assign etc." the Goblin will always be set free and then run around in my fortress, causing small puppies and dogs to die.

So, how can I set up a Goblin zoo or something like that, without freeing the greenling?
There’s probably a better way, but what I do is set up another animal stockpile where I want the goblin, and then set that stock pile to take from (q-t) the original.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: July 28, 2010, 07:39:44 am »

There’s probably a better way, but what I do is set up another animal stockpile where I want the goblin, and then set that stock pile to take from (q-t) the original.
I am sure, there is a better way.

In addition to that:
I have read somewhere, that you can strip a caged goblin from all his items. How can I do that?

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: July 28, 2010, 08:22:10 am »

like this

1) d-b-c the cages. by default the Gobboes clothes are forbidden so your dorfs can't strip them naked, this unforbids.
2) Create a zone with i, make it a garbage dump.
3) d-b-d the cages. This tells your dorfs to take anything in the cages to your garbage dump. If you've you've done everythiong right a bunch of Dump Item jobs will appear in (j)obs menu.
4) Build the cages with b-j. You can't hook up levers to unbuilt cages so this step is necessary.
5) Build a lever. It can be built anywhere. I usually put it just outside the Death Chamber, so the puller doesn't have to be physically in the room, and still be close to the cages,
6) Connect the lever to each cage with a-j.
7) Move your troops to the room and lock them in.
8) Pull the lever.

Reassigning the gobboes from the cages would get them out, but has the disadvantage that a civilian would have to walk up to the cage and open it.

The process is actually quite simple when you've done it a few times. When you get good at it you can do really cool stuff like only dump the gobboes weapons from the stocks screen. This leaves them in their armor, so your guys take longer (and get more experience) killing them.

Multani

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: July 28, 2010, 09:26:49 am »

Is there is a way to push items other than moving them with water ?
Because i want to emulate a stone trap by pushing an entire stone stockpile into long ramp

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: July 28, 2010, 09:50:05 am »

Anyone ever got auto loom to work?
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

bpuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:49 am »

Anyone ever got auto loom to work?

Works fine for silk cloth, doesn't work for plant fiber.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2242 on: July 28, 2010, 10:00:35 am »

Is there is a way to push items other than moving them with water ?
Because i want to emulate a stone trap by pushing an entire stone stockpile into long ramp
In theory, you can build a conveyor belt out of retracting bridges.  In practice, it doesn't work very well.  In any case, falling stones don't cause any damage.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2243 on: July 28, 2010, 11:26:55 am »

Build cage in wanted area. From list of available cages press x (expand list), choose this spot to build a goblin cage.
For goblin pitfights, see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010_Talk:Cage
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: July 28, 2010, 11:41:14 am »

Not exactly a gameplay question, but certainly related: Can I get Dwarf Therapist 0.57 working with DF 0.31.12? It says it doesn't know how to talk to it.
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: July 28, 2010, 11:42:02 am »

I have a deep question.

One of my ponds just sprung a leak for no apparent reason. One day it's solid ground, the next day the entire pond falls into the graveyard. I was doing some building near there a few z-levels up, but nothing directly above the new hole.

There's a bunch of yellow sand dust in the newly dry pond, and also blood from random gobboes, if that's any help.

Nick
Repeating the question.

Nick

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: July 28, 2010, 11:47:07 am »

Not exactly a gameplay question, but certainly related: Can I get Dwarf Therapist 0.57 working with DF 0.31.12? It says it doesn't know how to talk to it.

if you look up the Lazy Newb pack, it comes with a collection of utilities that have been reworked to run with .12 including Therapist. You can download that and just copy the Therapist files over to your folder, thats what I did.

bpuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: July 28, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »

There is also an updated memory layout (for SDL/windows) up on DFFD here

Edit: From the DT Thread there is apparently a linux memory layout here
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:04:14 pm by bpuk »

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:01 pm »

so i assign a 'build steel helm' order to my metalsmith shop, escape, q, aaaand boom, order is gone. Why would that happen?

i have atleast 10 steel bars and my armorsmith (only one allowed to work at said shop) is sitting around with no job. wtf

same thing is happening to my masons. They arent going on break but rather totally abandoning their posts causing cancellation of the queued jobs

EDIT: insufficient charcoal for the metalsmiths atleast. durrrr.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 09:53:26 pm by Fatty Limes »

JoeQuabla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: July 28, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »

Is fat considered a "worthless" part and therefore be unsellable in adventure mode?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 1178