Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120681 times)

billybones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2205 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:02 am »

My dwarves will not pick up any weapons I have manufactured since an early point in my fortress.  Also, I cannot choose these weapons from the "Specific weapon" list.  I have an arsenal dwarf.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: July 27, 2010, 03:08:34 am »

That mandate question reminded me of something, my current mayor has decided to mandate some copper items to be made. Oh wait, did I say copper? I meant native copper. Is that possible? Follow up, if so, since native ores have the same value as the metal they get smelted into, should I just make native "stone" things rather than metal ones when possible?

Just allow native copper in the Economic stones menu to allow your masons and craftsdwarves to make things out of it. The value exploit is certainly possible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Silly Dworf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: July 27, 2010, 04:51:39 am »

I'm stuck with one miner at the moment and as a result, it takes a long time to mine rooms. Is there any way to change someones proffesion and turn them into a miner?

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: July 27, 2010, 06:34:46 am »

My dwarves will not pick up any weapons I have manufactured since an early point in my fortress.  Also, I cannot choose these weapons from the "Specific weapon" list.  I have an arsenal dwarf.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Update the game, the newer versions have scrapped the arsenal dwarf as a position so your military will grab anything they can.  Sorry not sure what happens to your game if you already have an arsenal dwarf though, might need to start over.

Silly Dworf: select any dwarf with v, press p for professions, l for labour and highlight mining and press enter to enable that dwarf to mine, this works for any profession.  You'll just need to have a free pick in order for him to do anything.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:31:05 am by Torgan »

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:16 am »

I'm stuck with one miner at the moment and as a result, it takes a long time to mine rooms. Is there any way to change someones proffesion and turn them into a miner?

Yes and no. Are you using Dwarf Therapist? If not, you should be, I can't remember how to do it in Dorf Fortress. Do a search on it. What you can do is enable mining for another dwarf, although this doesnt necessarily change his profession, which is just the skill he's best at IIRC. Another little caveat is whether you have another pick on hand. If there's nothing to mine with, he wont be able to help.

Also, I have a question. Well, I could use clarification.
So I've got these goblins in cages and I want to strip them and lock them in a room with my military. Is this how/the best way to do it?
1.d-b-c the stockpile they are in, which will strip them, right? Or do I have to dump and reclaim?
2. Set up another stockpile and prioritize the goblins to be carried there (animal stockpile , take from original spot)
3. Attach cages to a lever and open them. (is there an order to open them that I can use if my military is locked in the room with them, that way I KNOW a military dwarf will open it (not like it matters that much since they’re unarmed.)
 for that last step there, i could just reassign them when i want them to be released, right? that should end up in them being released and immediately slaughtered, correct?

Anyways, is this the right process?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:36:59 am by Fatty Limes »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: July 27, 2010, 09:47:22 am »

Is there an equivalent 'dwarves stay inside' option in DF 2010?

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: July 27, 2010, 09:48:43 am »

What determines if water will freeze? I'm not thinking about the temperature, but attributes like inside, above ground etc.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

bpuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:18 am »

Is there an equivalent 'dwarves stay inside' option in DF 2010?

Not as such. You can accomplish the same thing by designating a burrow that covers all the areas inside your fort. In the event of an attack go to the alert screen (m-a) and select that burrow. It mostly works.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: July 27, 2010, 11:09:54 am »

Yes and no. Are you using Dwarf Therapist? If not, you should be, I can't remember how to do it in Dorf Fortress. Do a search on it. What you can do is enable mining for another dwarf, although this doesnt necessarily change his profession, which is just the skill he's best at IIRC. Another little caveat is whether you have another pick on hand. If there's nothing to mine with, he wont be able to help.

Also, I have a question. Well, I could use clarification.
So I've got these goblins in cages and I want to strip them and lock them in a room with my military. Is this how/the best way to do it?
1.d-b-c the stockpile they are in, which will strip them, right? Or do I have to dump and reclaim?
2. Set up another stockpile and prioritize the goblins to be carried there (animal stockpile , take from original spot)
3. Attach cages to a lever and open them. (is there an order to open them that I can use if my military is locked in the room with them, that way I KNOW a military dwarf will open it (not like it matters that much since they’re unarmed.)
 for that last step there, i could just reassign them when i want them to be released, right? that should end up in them being released and immediately slaughtered, correct?

Anyways, is this the right process?

It's close.

1) d-b-c the cages. by default the Gobboes clothes are forbidden so your dorfs can't strip them naked, this unforbids.
2) Create a zone with i, make it a garbage dump.
3) d-b-d the cages. This tells your dorfs to take anything in the cages to your garbage dump. If you've you've done everythiong right a bunch of Dump Item jobs will appear in (j)obs menu.
4) Build the cages with b-j. You can't hook up levers to unbuilt cages so this step is necessary.
5) Build a lever. It can be built anywhere. I usually put it just outside the Death Chamber, so the puller doesn't have to be physically in the room, and still be close to the cages,
6) Connect the lever to each cage with a-j.
7) Move your troops to the room and lock them in.
8) Pull the lever.

Reassigning the gobboes from the cages would get them out, but has the disadvantage that a civilian would have to walk up to the cage and open it.

The process is actually quite simple when you've done it a few times. When you get good at it you can do really cool stuff like only dump the gobboes weapons from the stocks screen. This leaves them in their armor, so your guys take longer (and get more experience) killing them.

Killabyte

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:03 am »

How do I get all of my dwarves to go inside? Is there a specific command?

Thanks in advance!  :D

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: July 27, 2010, 11:14:17 am »

I have a deep question.

One of my ponds just sprung a leak for no apparent reason. One day it's solid ground, the next day the entire pond falls into the graveyard. I was doing some building near there a few z-levels up, but nothing directly above the new hole.

There's a bunch of yellow sand dust in the newly dry pond, and also blood from random gobboes, if that's any help.

Nick

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:54 am »

How do I get all of my dwarves to go inside? Is there a specific command?

Thanks in advance!  :D
Hit (w). Create a burrow inside. If you can cut your fort off from the outside it doesn't have to be big, but it does have to include the lever connected to the drawbridge or whatever.

Then go to the (m)ilitary screen. Go to (a)lerts. Set the alert to Active/Training, and make sure your civs stay in the burrow during the alerts. They'll all run to the area you made into a burrow.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2217 on: July 27, 2010, 11:41:33 am »

How does knapping work?

(from an older post by me on Genesis-mod adventurer crafting)
Managed to make a sharp marble out of two small marble rocks i dropped.
Try to make more items... Select hammerstone fails. Do I need hammerstone IN HAND?
Wiki says "To knap, you must hold a stone in each hand." http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventurer_mode

Got my first Scraper! boy it's clumsy to drop sword and shield and then get rocks from ground.
Tan.. macaque half.. scraper in hand.. success! Left hand now has generic "tanned hide" and blunt rock. Yay made a bear bone needle.
Oh wow, "drop bear blood" made adv dump whole backpack contents!

Adventurer butcher testing with my own adventurer, who has a hand axe.
x,b,right,enter,enter. Bear is butchered. Hmm its nerves are not edible, not raw at least.
Slaking your thirst by licking blood spatters is a little silly.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »

In 0.31.12, world generation of a normal size region (rather than island) seems to take ages. Half an hour on a Core 2 Duo 6300. Is anyone else seeing this happen?
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

Fatty Limes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: July 27, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »

In 0.31.12, world generation of a normal size region (rather than island) seems to take ages. Half an hour on a Core 2 Duo 6300. Is anyone else seeing this happen?

my history generation took forever, i stopped after about 150 years, because it took five minutes already.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 1178