Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120720 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2145 on: July 24, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »

How pissed will the elves be if I seize their goods?

Cause they have a fecking tame Giant Desert Scorpion, and I doubt I have 2.5k in goods.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: July 24, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »

You can get away with it a time or two, just don't make a habit of it unless you like that sort of thing.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: July 24, 2010, 01:47:49 pm »

By next year, I'll probably be swimming in rock crafts, but they caught me before I had a designated stone crafter.

And can you say "Guard scorpion"?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: July 24, 2010, 01:50:42 pm »

Are you trying to tell me you feel bad about ripping off the elves?

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: July 24, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »

Does the locale have any effect on the types of artifacts produced? I'm in a desert location, I've never produced or even seen a turban before, and now I've had two dwarves create turbans through strange moods.
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: July 24, 2010, 02:20:48 pm »

Haha, no. I don't want to piss them off YET because I don't have pressure plates mechanics down quite yet. I'm trying to make a room where there are two 1x3 bridges blocking each end when raised, triggered by pressure plates at the end of the hallway. Then I flood said room with water because what use it my enterence hall if it's full of undrowned enemies?

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: July 24, 2010, 02:29:36 pm »

You can safely rip them off a couple of times without repercussions. In fact it's recommended, otherwise they stop bringing cool stuff and if memory serves me correctly just bring expensive cloth. Which in their mind is more valuable for some stupid reason.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: July 24, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

How is a bunch of cloth more valuable than a giant desert scorpion?

Oh, and for some reason, I did have enough money. So they get their stuff taken next year, right now my trader needs experience.

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: July 24, 2010, 03:21:18 pm »

Ask the elves.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: July 24, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »

It's simple, folks.

If a dwarf makes something out of a tree - it takes an ENTIRE TREE! .. AN ENTIRE LIFE!! to make a chest or a chair. You weren't effective, you wasted tree. It's unforgiveable. The elves hate it.

An animal is an animal. It is one life.

Cloth? Cloth is built from many little plants. So many little lives have pitched in for the cloth to exist .. it is precious!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: July 24, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »

Sooo... if you have goods you didn't trade at the depot, or stuff you got, you press enter on it to move it to stockpiles, right?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2156 on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:46 pm »

Anyone know a way to get dwarves to clean of excessive amounts of blood? I don't want my electrum bridges to be covered in layers of Ago Fatmalice's goblin blood.
This is difficult.  In theory dwarves with the cleaning labor enabled and some free time will go to a tile of blood and clean it up.  If all you have is one or two tiles of blood, that will take care of it.  The problem comes when you have a lot of blood, and a dwarf who is cleaning up one tile of blood will on the way step in other tiles of blood and get the blood on him.  He will then track the blood around and get blood on yet more tiles.  Dwarves who have blood on them will attempt to get soap and go to a water source to clean themselves off.  This often leaves a pool of blood next to the water source that other dwarves will then step in and get bloody.

Moving water will sometimes wash blood off dwarves, but in the process the water gets bloody and deposits pools of blood on multiple tiles.  In theory moving water is supposed to wash blood off floor and wall tiles, but in my experience this just spreads the blood around.

Flooding an area with magma will completely remove all blood from everything in the area, including dwarves.  It will also remove dwarves.

Finally, you can run the cleanmap.exe program in DFhack to remove all blood from the map.  This doesn't remove blood from dwarves or other creatures, so if you have a lot of dwarves with blood on them you may have to run it over and over again to control the infestation.  I don't know if DFHack has been updated for 31.11 yet.

The problem here is that mass isn't conserved with blood and other contaminates.  A pool of blood can contaminate multiple dwarves, and a bloody dwarf can make multiple pools, and neither contamination will ever go away on its own.  Or if they do, it's slow enough to not make a difference compared to the rate at which dwarves can spread it around.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: July 24, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »

sometimes building a floor on it will work.
...for that one tile. then they walk over the other tile with the pool of it, and spread it to 5 more tiles, and now you're 4 tiles worse off than before.

In theory dwarves with the cleaning labor on should clean paved floors, so if you pave your whole fortress that should help.

Edit: Ant I'm way late apparently, so to expand on Sphalerite's info, I've found that paving around the edge of my water sources helps stop the spread a lot. I had a whole fort fall because of a dead forgotten beast had acid blood which dwarves then tracked to the water source. First all the dogs died (bare feet) and then one by one my actual dwarves got sick.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 07:10:36 pm by Dewar »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2158 on: July 24, 2010, 08:50:01 pm »

So the dwarf Jeniffer just went nuts and needs Sand (green glass) and all I have around me is clay and stone.  Can i just dig a few holes and get sand or do I have to drain a lake?

Any other quick options to obtaining sand?
Try having your standard embark profile contain sand and lye (for easy few soaps). GCS silk sand bags are very pricy and can help in early trading.
Sand is a type of soil layer.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2159 on: July 24, 2010, 08:52:22 pm »

This isn't really a "real" question but what should I do now?
This is my fortress.
Should I just sit and wait for some attacks. I had Goblins on the Embark screen, but I haven't seen any.
Try offering 30 000 to 100 000 worth of stuff to the mountainhome caravan. Might get a Baron or better.
One quality steel armor is like 5000.

Also, make leather quivers and archery ranges.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 1178