Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120783 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2085 on: July 20, 2010, 08:49:22 pm »

Last season I got the message, "Migrants have arrived, despite the danger."  Now it's, "Migrants refused to journey to such a dangerous fortress this season."  What's going on?
Your fortress has acquired a reputation as a deathtrap. Too many deaths have occurred. Migrants refuse to go to a dangerous fortress.
Thanks.  Can I ever shake off the reputation?
Eventually you'll be fine.

Most forts have an Incident or three that kills a good proportion of the population. Then they get low immigration for awhile, but it goes back up eventually.

Nicik

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 20, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »

I just had an interesting series of messages:
Kib Taranrigoth, baron's mandate has ended.
Kib Taranrigoth, Miner cancels construct rock Door: Went insane.
Kib Taranrigoth, Miner has gone berserk!

So apparently if you go berserk you don't get to be Baron anymore. The question is why did this guy go berserk?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2087 on: July 20, 2010, 09:12:59 pm »

So apparently if you go berserk you don't get to be Baron anymore. The question is why did this guy go berserk?
He was very, very unhappy.  Probably you didn't provide him with the rooms he needed, gave other dwarves nicer rooms, didn't meet his mandates and demands, and otherwise neglected his happiness.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:18 pm »

He was very, very unhappy.  Probably you didn't provide him with the rooms he needed, gave other dwarves nicer rooms, didn't meet his mandates and demands, and otherwise neglected his happiness.
His room was plenty nice. Nice enough that all was white despite the fact he technicaly only had one room serving as tomb, bedroom, office, throne room, dining room, etc. I managed to meet most of his production mandates before I ran out of zinc.

I just checked the justice screen, tho, and somehow 40 guys managed to violate one of his export mandates without me noticing.  Many managed to do it twice. Since I do the whole culling on mandates thing he must have mandated no something exports after the time a caravan arrived on map and I'd ordered 50-60 of the somethings had been sent to the depot, but before I actually did the dang trade.

My Mayor just joined him. And I violated zero of his mandates, and gave him a the room he wanted, so one of his friends probably just died. Probably the Baron, but I also just lost four dwarves to gobboe bowman.

Nick

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:38 am »

Just wondering which raw tags pertain to a creature being or not being butcherable. I have a whole pile of troglodytes (cavern fortress, I get a lot) clogging up my stockpiles, and I wouldn't half mind the extra raw materials. I will probably use them as training for my militia, but while a pile of rotting monsters outside the gates of my fort may look intimidating, it gets a bit messy and I do like to be efficient.
'I have enough barrels!'

Star Guarded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bravemule
« Reply #2090 on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:39 am »

What are the siege prerequisites in DF2010? Can I still get sieges if I cap the population at 50-60? Is it tied more to wealth? I'm not looking to disable sieges; I'm just wondering if I'll get them with a smaller fort.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 21, 2010, 07:30:57 am »

How do you guys go about finding specific dwarfs quickly?

Going through the j or u menu each time is a pain, especially if the dwarf is moving and I am trying to follow him. Can I follow a dwarf or bind a hotkey to one?

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2092 on: July 21, 2010, 07:35:35 am »

I just checked the justice screen, tho, and somehow 40 guys managed to violate one of his export mandates without me noticing.  Many managed to do it twice. Since I do the whole culling on mandates thing he must have mandated no something exports after the time a caravan arrived on map and I'd ordered 50-60 of the somethings had been sent to the depot, but before I actually did the dang trade.
It could have been after the trade.  The violation of the mandate occurs when the items leave the map, so if the baron mandates export restrictions while the traders are on their way off the map it still counts as a violated mandate.  Declaring an export ban after you've traded the banned material and making the ban retroactive is a hilarious practical joke barons like to play, and should be rewarded appropriately.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 21, 2010, 08:05:11 am »

I've seen that magma pools, which are like the 40d magma pipes, and are identified by being ringed in obsidian refill in .31 (tho I have not verified that behavior). 

My question though, will the magma sea refill if I drain it?

and if I have a 5-10z level pool coming out of my sea (which should in theory refill...)  If I drain the sea and the pipe, will the sea end up refilling because the pipe will?

Has any science been done on this?

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 21, 2010, 12:48:30 pm »

Are hippos still that funny in DF2010 as described in the Wiki? Just asking, because I'm searching for a place with alot of them and want to know in advance if it is worth the effort.   

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 21, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »

I'm trying to pierce an aquifier by cave-in, but my stuff keeps going THROUGH the aquifier to the level below... This is my setup (side view)

Code: [Select]
z 0 (ground level)
_ ______ _

z -1

0 000000 0

z -2

0~~~~~~0

0=solid stone
_=floor
~=water(aquifier)

Am I doing something wrong?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 21, 2010, 02:14:15 pm »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but my searches came up with nothing.

Does anyone know when Toady plans to optimize pathfinding?
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 21, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »

I've seen that magma pools, which are like the 40d magma pipes, and are identified by being ringed in obsidian refill in .31 (tho I have not verified that behavior). 

This question has been asked, and answered, before: The answer is yes, it refills, providing the area being drained has access to the side of the map, which pretty much all of the sea should.

It may be theoretically possible to drain the whole thing, if it tracks off-site magma levels (I doubt it does, currently), but since the magma sea, like the caverns, span pretty much the entire world - continuously - I don't think magma capacity would become an issue any time in this millennium.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 21, 2010, 03:04:16 pm »

This question has been asked, and answered, before: The answer is yes, it refills, providing the area being drained has access to the side of the map, which pretty much all of the sea should.

It may be theoretically possible to drain the whole thing, if it tracks off-site magma levels (I doubt it does, currently), but since the magma sea, like the caverns, span pretty much the entire world - continuously - I don't think magma capacity would become an issue any time in this millennium.

Does the z-level at which the magma sea touch the borders affect how high the magma will fill up?  So if I drain the top of a magma sea protrusion, will new magma be "pushed upwards" to refill the difference even though the actual sea is many z-levels below?  Or does this just happen very slowly?  I've been watching the magma level for several game years and it appears to be at the same height.  I don't believe this is actually a pipe since I'm not seeing obsidian, but a vertical protrusion of the magma cavern...

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 21, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »

Can you use 3 floodgates attached to a lever as a gate to keep intruders out? (non-buildingdestroyers, anyway)
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 1178