Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120801 times)

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2070 on: July 19, 2010, 06:55:20 am »

Arsenal dwarf functions no longer exist.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 19, 2010, 07:40:18 am »

I feel a bit silly asking this, since it's likely been asked before and I apparently suck at doing searches, but...

How the hell do you mod creatures to be butcherable  and their hides useable in 31.08?! And can this kind of modding work in a preexisting game? My militia's been slaughtering troglodytes and I'm really keen on making the most of the carnage.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: July 19, 2010, 08:21:14 am »

Ladde,
Type c. That brings up a list of civs you've had contact with.

How far along is your fort? Depending on the size of migrant waves, and a fort's level of Fun, a 41-dwarf fort could be two seasons old or twenty years. If you're past year three and you've met no gobboes there probably aren't any gobboes to meet.

As for military preparations, the following has always worked for me. My squads have their barracks at strategic locations. They are set to train there. Any migrant whose skills are primarily military goes in a squad. Civilian migrants with useless skills join up, too. Almost all of them spend their time doing "individual drill," and a good proportion become legendary fighters within a year...
On "c" I see Humans, Elves, Goblins and Dwarfs. So I guess I'm all good.

I can't remember when I started my fort but I think its about 2-3 years, if not more... hmm.. I have 63 Dwarfs as it is now so I'm doing ok.
Thanks for the help.

I have a question. I have embarked on a place with no Sedimentary layer! Atleast I haven't found any of the stones found here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Sedimentary_layer
I got no Iron :c And I think I haven't found any Magma-proof stone yet. But I've found magma.
Should I start a new fort? Will it be to hard?

zmc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 19, 2010, 12:51:37 pm »

Uhm... suffered a little goblin attack. I didn't have enough defense as I couldn't get weapons and armor forged in time. Lost about 30 of 72 dwarfs and the walled entrance area + meeting hall are basically covered in blood. So far so good.
Unfortunately now my remaining dwarfs keep throwing tantrums and also going insane one after the other. Looks like the insane dwarfs are going ballistic on everything, furniture, animals, even other dwarfs. Is there any way I can stop this insanity madness?

edit: I'm losing dwarves left right and center :-( down to 20. I noticed there is someone's rotten head in the dormitory and also two other corpses in beds, I need to get those moved quickly. I have a graveyard and coffins but noone seems to care, do I need to activate a "bury dwarves" profession or something?! Can't find anything in Dwarf Therapist...

ed2: Found Burial in DT now. Is already enabled for all but two of the remaining 21 dwarves... Also, people are dieing of thirst despite having 400 units of wine and 70 units of ale in stock. Not good. I hope its just the guys who've gone nuts anyway?!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:11:04 pm by zmc »
This is Dwarf Fortress, not some pansy game that you can actually win.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 19, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »

Sounds like you've just experienced a lot of Fun.

That's called a tantrum spiral. In short, you're boned. What you want to do is trap the insane dwarves in a room or something and hope they starve. The only cure is death.

Your dwarves are just being stupid about not wanting to drink. Maybe they can't path to it cause a door is locked.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 19, 2010, 02:41:51 pm »

Has something about cave-ins recently changed?  I've got a section that, based on everything I know from reading and experience, should be crashing down, but isn't.  I went to the "init" file to make sure they weren't switched off, but now I can't find the part that mentions them.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 19, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »

I can't remember when I started my fort but I think its about 2-3 years, if not more... hmm.. I have 63 Dwarfs as it is now so I'm doing ok.
Thanks for the help.

I have a question. I have embarked on a place with no Sedimentary layer! Atleast I haven't found any of the stones found here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Sedimentary_layer
I got no Iron :c And I think I haven't found any Magma-proof stone yet. But I've found magma.
Should I start a new fort? Will it be to hard?
It should be easy to tell how old your fort is. Just look at the date. DF maps start in years ending 1, so if 1055 you're in the fifth year. If you're still in the first couple years don't worry. I'm in year 4 of a fairly successful fort and I just got my first gobbo ambush. I don't expect any sieges for awhile.

As for iron, the question is what metals do you have? If you're up to your ass in copper and tin you have bronze, which is superior to iron. It's inferior to steel, and you can't make steel without iron, but you can't have everything.

As for magma-proof stone, what do you need it for? I've never needed it for my forts, but I don't make machines very often. If you're just gonna plop a magma forge or three by your volcano you're fine. Non-magma-proof stone works fine for doors, walls, and fortifications.

Nick

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: July 19, 2010, 03:44:26 pm »

ed2: Found Burial in DT now. Is already enabled for all but two of the remaining 21 dwarves... Also, people are dieing of thirst despite having 400 units of wine and 70 units of ale in stock. Not good. I hope its just the guys who've gone nuts anyway?!
Are any of your dwarves injured, and do you have any buckets?  Injured dwarves drink water, and that needs to be collected in a bucket.  Depressed dwarves will also commit suicide by thirst.  I haven't experienced the crazy ones yet.

Is there a way to kill the pike?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:02:49 pm by pmcatnip »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: July 19, 2010, 04:16:29 pm »

I dunno, catapults maybe?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: July 20, 2010, 12:51:42 am »

Are any of your dwarves injured, and do you have any buckets?  Injured dwarves drink water, and that needs to be collected in a bucket.  Depressed dwarves will also commit suicide by thirst.  I haven't experienced the crazy ones yet.

Most likely those guys are afflicted with the form of insanity that's running around babbling and refusing to eat or drink. They may even strip for naked dwarf goodness.

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: July 20, 2010, 03:23:06 am »

Last season I got the message, "Migrants have arrived, despite the danger."  Now it's, "Migrants refused to journey to such a dangerous fortress this season."  What's going on?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: July 20, 2010, 08:22:38 am »

Last season I got the message, "Migrants have arrived, despite the danger."  Now it's, "Migrants refused to journey to such a dangerous fortress this season."  What's going on?
Your fortress has acquired a reputation as a deathtrap. Too many deaths have occurred. Migrants refuse to go to a dangerous fortress.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:32 am »

I was wondering, if you pierce the HFS in one fortress, and then abandon it, does that leave the HFS to freely roam the world?
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: July 20, 2010, 04:20:56 pm »

Your fortress has acquired a reputation as a deathtrap. Too many deaths have occurred. Migrants refuse to go to a dangerous fortress.
Thanks.  Can I ever shake off the reputation?

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: July 20, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »

Thanks.  Can I ever shake off the reputation?
Before I saw your post, I didn't think so; however, the phrasing "this season" seems to imply that it's only that particular season they avoid you.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 1178