Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1120154 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2010 on: July 16, 2010, 01:48:08 am »

You can NOT sell an artifact. Furniture artifacts can be built, and weapon, armor, and clothing artifacts can be equipped, but craft artifacts have no use at all unless you have the display case mod.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: July 16, 2010, 01:54:42 am »

Eh? Eh? I think I remember selling an artifact this one time... did it change? I'll go look at the wiki.
Huh. Can't be traded. Huh.

Kinda ironic that the one thing I didn't put the disclaimer "I think" on, was what I was wrong on... :(

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 16, 2010, 02:06:48 am »

It is -or used to be- possible on some reclaims.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 16, 2010, 08:07:10 am »

I followed the advice given here to try to "move" the cavern layer higher up in the underground z levels so I could build between it and magma.  I went to the world gen parameters and only messed with the cavern layer number, water max and openness max values.  I generated the world and it appears I got rid of caverns entirely because plump helmets and a variety of other things were not available on embark. 

Any ideas on how to get a single cavern layer that is near the middle/top z levels?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2014 on: July 16, 2010, 08:47:28 am »

Right now, the best weapon against armour is blunt attacks, such as maces and hammers.
And the very small contact area (1) blunt "Whip". Copper whip rips spines out through steel armors.
(Hammer 10 area, Mace 20 area.)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 16, 2010, 10:00:36 am »

I always have a hard time building a good entrance to my fort. I want the bad guys to die and the good guys to move through unmolested.  Inevitably I settle on a longish corridor with the trade depot at the back, but there must be a better way. Any ideas?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 16, 2010, 10:04:53 am »

I always have a hard time building a good entrance to my fort. I want the bad guys to die and the good guys to move through unmolested.  Inevitably I settle on a longish corridor with the trade depot at the back, but there must be a better way. Any ideas?

Magma moat.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 16, 2010, 10:43:04 am »

The best idea I've come up with is a two-way airlock. Put one bridge in the front, two in the back, with the trade depot in the middle. One of the rear bridges lets you access the depot or outside easily, the other is a long thin corridor lined with your favorite traps you can funnel enemies through (rather than let them sit outside and kill off your traders, migrants, and wood/ect access). You could also put a fourth bridge at the end of the trap corridor to make the goblins turn around and leave through your traps again, if you don't feel like that's cheating. :P

EDIT: Trap plan here:

Black is the part your enemies have to take, white is an adjacent pit, the gray square is some up-stairs to get out of the area, and red is up stairs or ramp from a lower level to get back to the trap path if the enemy falls off. Now you just have to stop your dwarves from running in there themselves. :P You could also station dogs on little path two spaces long on the sides, to give the goblins more things to try to dodge away from.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 10:51:32 am by Solace »

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 16, 2010, 01:20:36 pm »

Cool, thanks for the answer.

So about cave adaptation. Can I make a dining room exposed to sunlight, and then cover it with a floor to prevent cave adaptation? Or does it have to be both 'light' and 'outside'? Cause that's not safe.

Murgen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 16, 2010, 01:42:11 pm »

I was wondering if dwarves had to marry first to start pumpin out babies.  I noticed that my mayor was happy to bring someone to bed lately once.  I won't be able to find out from him though, because his lover died in a gobbo siege :(
The Gremlin punches The Dog in the head with her left hand, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Monom Edtulsolon, Dog (Tame) has been struck down.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2020 on: July 16, 2010, 03:59:12 pm »

So about cave adaptation. Can I make a dining room exposed to sunlight, and then cover it with a floor to prevent cave adaptation? Or does it have to be both 'light' and 'outside'? Cause that's not safe.
Floor as ceiling makes it dark and indoorsy. Glass block floor ceiling... I dunno, check the wiki.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 16, 2010, 05:39:16 pm »

No, once it's been exposed to the outside, it's always light. Putting a floopr above it turns it into light, inside.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2022 on: July 16, 2010, 06:06:57 pm »

I was wondering if dwarves had to marry first to start pumpin out babies.  I noticed that my mayor was happy to bring someone to bed lately once.  I won't be able to find out from him though, because his lover died in a gobbo siege :(
"brought someone to bed lately" means that he carried an injured dwarf to the hospital.  Dwarves don't actually need to share a bed to bet pregnant, or for that matter have any personal contact whatsoever with each other.  I've never seen dwarves give birth in any of my forts, and I suspect it's either impossible or very rare.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 16, 2010, 06:44:44 pm »

Not at all. Look at some of the forts in "community games and stories." Some of them are half baby.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2024 on: July 16, 2010, 07:17:54 pm »

Sorry, that should have been "I've never seen unmarried dwarves give birth".  Missed a word somehow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1178