Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119996 times)

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1950 on: July 14, 2010, 02:40:30 pm »

That sounds incredibly boring.
It's not boring for your dwarves. They get to party 24-7 ofr years on end.

Lucky bastards.

Until they realize they are dancing on a floor made of magma

pmcatnip

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 14, 2010, 02:48:39 pm »

Hi, I'm new here.  I'm using TinyPirate's tutorials and the version they were written for.  My fiance has been playing DF for years and finally got me into it.  Anyway, I'm having difficulty releasing some caged and trapped animals.  I did check the wiki but the usual methods aren't working.  Is there a limit on how many animals you can have roaming free or something?

My caged animal problem:
A dwarven caravan was attacked by a goblin/human ambush while it was making its way to my front door, and although my military dispatched the attackers pretty well, the caravan was totally destroyed.  I picked up twelve caged animals as part of the loot.  They were placed in my animal stockpile along with all my empty cages.  I tried the build/unassign method of releasing animals.  That only released five of them and the other seven were transferred back into empty cages on the stockpile.  I tried again, and they were again transferred to empty cages in the stockpile.  I tried the transfer/unassign method.  They took the animal out to move him.  But when I unassigned him they took him back to the stockpile.... So I built all my extra cages so there would be nothing to transfer them into.  I moved all the animals into one cage.  I unassigned them all, and get a message "So-and-so cancels Releasing Large Creature: needs empty cage."  (Apparently cats are large creatures.)  Finally, I tried the move-one-animal-so-the-others-can-escape-when-the-door-is-open method.  No go.  They didn't get out.  I don't know what else I can try to get these animals out of their cages.

My trapped animal problem:
I have two trapped lizards in small animal traps, which I have tamed.  I can't seem to release them or butcher them.  I can't find anything on the wiki about releasing animals from small animal traps.

Help? Thanks!

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 14, 2010, 02:58:02 pm »

I have two trapped lizards in small animal traps, which I have tamed.  I can't seem to release them or butcher them.  I can't find anything on the wiki about releasing animals from small animal traps.
Help? Thanks!
The trapped lizards cannot be taken out of its trap. It has to be adopted, and even then the owner keeps the trap.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 14, 2010, 03:04:03 pm »

Help? Thanks!
The trapped lizards cannot be taken out of its trap. It has to be adopted, and even then the owner keeps the trap.
I've gotten them into cages before. It didn't work very well, and they never got adopted, however.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1954 on: July 14, 2010, 03:16:55 pm »

Animals recovered from slaughtered caravans are buggy.  They never really count as being yours, so you can't assign them to cages or restraints.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 14, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

That sounds incredibly boring.
It's not boring for your dwarves. They get to party 24-7 ofr years on end.

Lucky bastards.

Until they realize they are dancing on a floor made of magma

I love volcanos.

Also, since I can't be arsed to edit the age of adulthood to 1, I started anew. I settled on a Goblin Fortress entirely populated by Dwarves. Will they attack me when the first goblins come? We should be in the same civ, because I checked the place out in Legends first. I want to prepare accordingly.

edit: This is interesting. On Tower 2's roof, a fishery worker is dead and a friendly ampersand called "Zapas Tikbosewat, Law-Giver" who is described as "A great eyeless skink twisted into humanoid form. It has a bloated body. Its brown scales are jagged and overlapping. Beware its fire!" and is apparently also female and weak.

Wat.

edit edit: Holy sheiße! The freaking king is here!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:33:30 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:02 pm »

Hm... I don't think this qualifies as a little question any more...
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Osdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 14, 2010, 05:24:33 pm »

Quick question, technically.

Chose a metal, i cant decide what to make my nobles furniture out of.

And magma isn't a metal.

StrawberryBunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 14, 2010, 05:28:28 pm »

And magma isn't a metal.
Platinum.
(16:25:13 ) (+strawberrrybunny) I've decided that I might as well put my almost encyclopedic knowledge of DF to use
(16:25:13 ) <+buttbot> I've decided that I might as well put my almost enbuttlopedic buttledge of DF to use

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 14, 2010, 05:35:44 pm »

And magma isn't a metal.

You could have fooled me...

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 14, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »

Is there any way to 'place' artifacts that aren't furniture? I have an artifact flute I'd like to have placed in my leader's tomb..
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 14, 2010, 05:55:13 pm »

Why are mysoldiers not training? I have weapons, armor, and a barracks. I made a squad of recruits and told them to equip said armor and weapons, which they did. Now they either do civ tasks when inactive or nothing when active. Eh??
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 14, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »

Why are mysoldiers not training? I have weapons, armor, and a barracks. I made a squad of recruits and told them to equip said armor and weapons, which they did. Now they either do civ tasks when inactive or nothing when active. Eh??

Turn off every single labour for your military, then set their schedule to no job, and eventually they will train (albeit individual combat drills only).
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:15 pm »

Is there any way to 'place' artifacts that aren't furniture? I have an artifact flute I'd like to have placed in my leader's tomb..

Make a 1x1 stockpile for only flutes of artifact quality.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 14, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

edit: This is interesting. On Tower 2's roof, a fishery worker is dead and a friendly ampersand called "Zapas Tikbosewat, Law-Giver" who is described as "A great eyeless skink twisted into humanoid form. It has a bloated body. Its brown scales are jagged and overlapping. Beware its fire!" and is apparently also female and weak.

Wat.

edit edit: Holy sheiße! The freaking king is here!
Check the Civilization screen. A law-giver is a big deal, and should be listed as a leader of some civilization. One time I got a flashing ampersands as a diplomat from the Humans. Fortunately goblin ambushers killed him before he got to my fort, I'm pretty sure he was a building destroyer.

Also look at the combat reports. It's possible wildlife killed your fishery worker without you noticing.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 1178