Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119994 times)

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1920 on: July 14, 2010, 04:26:54 am »

how?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 14, 2010, 04:29:45 am »

You'll have to use soldiers, or lure him over traps that you've placed. Unless he's armed, even wrestlers should be hable to tak him out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

adecoy95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:01 am »

You'll have to use soldiers, or lure him over traps that you've placed. Unless he's armed, even wrestlers should be hable to tak him out.

thanks, i think he got killed on his own, thank goodness, because im in the middle of the tutorial and i dont know how to do either of those things lol

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 14, 2010, 05:04:53 am »

You can always pause, then use the wiki to figure it out on the spot.

My question: does anyone have the list of things to do if the game crashes during the years of world generation? Messing with the init options some and changing the date generation ends hasn't helped (both dates, both forward and back).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 14, 2010, 05:38:39 am »

Where exactly does the term 'dorf' come from?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Kennel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 14, 2010, 06:01:29 am »

Could someone tell what fracturing/shattering/chipping bone means gameplay-wise? i.e. which is the worst and what kind of effect they have on limbs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:43:16 am by Kennel »

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:59 am »

Where exactly does the term 'dorf' come from?

dork + dwarf
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 14, 2010, 09:58:48 am »

What is the best way to find the boundaries of caverns and magma with the least amount of deaths?  Also with the least amount of unnecessary tunneling if possible.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1928 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:42 am »

To map the caverns, I pierce them in one spot by digging stairs down from the surface until I hit a cavern.  Then I drop a handful of cats into the caverns and seal them off.  The cats wander around and map out the entire caverns for me, as well as providing advance warning of unpleasant underground visitors.

Once I've gotten an idea of where the caverns are, I dig another staircase down through a solid column that doesn't intersect the caverns, digging down till I either hit the magma sea or hit undiggable semi-molten rock.  If I hit undiggable rock, I back up a few Z-levels, dig a tunnel to the side, then dig down from their.  That part may require multiple exploratory tunnels, but eventually I get an idea of the geometry of the magma sea.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 14, 2010, 10:18:29 am »

Ok, thanks.  I have one more question:  How do I "drop" cats into the caverns without getting dwarves stuck down there too?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 14, 2010, 10:19:02 am »

Right, no spring wave of migrants. Not that surprising, considering my civ is likely dead.

So... how do I encourage babies? I need more than 16 dwarves if I want to not die.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:50 am »

My question: does anyone have the list of things to do if the game crashes during the years of world generation? Messing with the init options some and changing the date generation ends hasn't helped (both dates, both forward and back).
Check the errorlog.txt in your data folder.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 14, 2010, 11:28:33 am »

Is it possible to name stray animals? I'd like to not slaughter my breeding stock, but I'd also rather they don't wander the fort as some dwarf's pet.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1933 on: July 14, 2010, 11:52:10 am »

Ok, thanks.  I have one more question:  How do I "drop" cats into the caverns without getting dwarves stuck down there too?
There are a few different ways to do it.  Most require mechanisms.

One way to do it is to build a cage in a corridor connected to the caverns.  Assign all your cats to the cage.  Built a lever somewhere else in your fortress.  Link the lever to the cage.  Wall off the corridor, so that the only exit from the cage is into the caverns.  Pull the lever.  You won't be able to get the cage or one of the mechanisms back.  You also will be exposed to the caverns while the system is being set up.

A safer, repeatable, yet more complex way to do it is to have a corridor in your fortress on a level just above a cavern.  Channel out a section of the corridor floor, opening a hole into the caverns, and then build a retracting bridge to cover the hole.  Place doors just in front of and behind the bridge.  Link a lever somewhere else in your fortress to the bridge.  Set one of the doors to be impassible to pets.  Now wait for a wandering pet cat to get stuck on the bridge unable to path through the door.  Lock both doors, to prevent dwarfs from getting dropped as well, and then pull the lever to dump the cat into the caverns.  Pull the lever again to restore the bridge and then unlock the doors.  This method is repeatable and can also be used to dispose of unwanted dwarves.  You will still be vulnerable to flying cavern inhabitants, but only when the bridge is retracted as buildingdestroyers can only destroy objects on the same Z-level.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

psilocybes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 14, 2010, 12:11:16 pm »

I got a lot of turtle shells/bones near my pond.  How do i save them so a craftdwarf can use them later?  I tried making a custom pile for animals or bones or something (at work and cant remember) but no dwarves are hauling the bones to the pile.

Suggestions?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 1178