Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1119078 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1740 on: July 08, 2010, 04:51:41 pm »

It is impossible to assign the same creature to multiple restraints. The dwarf that does the chaining wil release one chain before attaching another.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 08, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »

Is it coincidental that the caravans always bring ambushes with them?

On a related note, how do I protect said caravans from said ambushes?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 08, 2010, 09:45:14 pm »

Is it coincidental that the caravans always bring ambushes with them?

On a related note, how do I protect said caravans from said ambushes?
It is not a coincidence.

Ambushers, kidnappers, and kobolds try to sneak in with a caravan.

As for protecting caravans from ambushes, the best way is to have a fortified trade depot near the edge of the map. Back when archery worked archers on the roof were a must. Now you have to use traps or melee troops. Walls too -- gobbo crossbowman are just as deadly as they were in 40d. Caravans seem to like coming in on roads, so you can pick the spot a caravan comes in by building roads to it from the depot.

My favorite traps are cage traps. No mechanisms to jam, rock traps aren't terribly lethal in this version, and each cage always gets at least one gobbo. Then you can steal his sword, and train up some melee troops.

Nick

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 08, 2010, 09:48:14 pm »

How do I remove all of the "Deceased" dwarves in my unit list? It's been getting clogged up.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1744 on: July 08, 2010, 09:49:04 pm »

How do I remove all of the "Deceased" dwarves in my unit list? It's been getting clogged up.
You can't.  Sorry.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 08, 2010, 10:01:21 pm »

Is there any way to clean up mud?

I had a small flood problem. It was solved fairly cheaply (only my broker died), but now I have all kinds of planty crap growing in my living quarters.

Nick

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:56 pm »

Also, does a desert contain minerals?
I need to know if I am to settle in a desert/ocean mix.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:05 pm »

I can't seem to be able to encrust stuff...

I have cut gems. I go to my jewelers workshop, press "a", go to blue garnet (the gem which I have), press "e", and then I get to chose between encrusting finished goods, furniture or ammo. No matter which of the buttons I press, nothing happens!

Am I doing something wrong?
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 08, 2010, 10:10:02 pm »

I had a small flood problem. It was solved fairly cheaply (only my broker died), but now I have all kinds of planty crap growing in my living quarters.

Nick
The only way I have found to clean up mud is to build a road on top of it, then remove the road.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 08, 2010, 10:19:11 pm »

Nick
The only way I have found to clean up mud is to build a road on top of it, then remove the road.
In other words I'm screwed.

Fortunately I think my legendary engraver doesn't have any more masterwork ngraving in the planty zone.

Nick

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 08, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »

Nothing stops you from building roads or floors indoors. You'd have to remove all the furniture I guess though, which is probably more trouble than its worth :/

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:17 pm »

Nothing stops you from building roads or floors indoors. You'd have to remove all the furniture I guess though, which is probably more trouble than its worth :/
None of it's furnished yet, but I sincerely doubt engravings survive roads.

Besides most of the rooms involved are tiny. The biggest is 3x3. I might do the hallway just to see how it works, tho.

Nick

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 08, 2010, 11:01:00 pm »

Cyntrox: Encrusting uses the "Gem Setting" skill, instead of the "Gem Cutting" skill. You probably have one but not the other.

Nickbii: It takes a long time, but dwarves will, eventually, clean mud and blood off smooth or engraved floors.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 08, 2010, 11:13:42 pm »

Cyntrox: Encrusting uses the "Gem Setting" skill, instead of the "Gem Cutting" skill. You probably have one but not the other.

Nickbii: It takes a long time, but dwarves will, eventually, clean mud and blood off smooth or engraved floors.
I have, however, seen mud start growing mushrooms about 2/3 of the time before it gets cleaned, and that makes it rough again, which means dwarfs ignore it for cleaning :P.  Mud where you don't want it is a huge pain sometimes.

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 08, 2010, 11:16:03 pm »

Thanks, although it turned out some bastard dwarf had used my gems to make an artifact =P

On an unrelated note, is "recover wounded" bugged? I currently have several unconscious dwarves laying around my fortress, yet my (eight) dwarves with only "recover wounded" enabled say they have no job!

Edit: Yes, I have a hospital, and a rather well-stocked one at that, with several free beds.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:20:25 pm by Cyntrox »
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 1178