Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118965 times)

gregor40

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1725 on: July 08, 2010, 07:23:10 am »

Fuel, refined coal, and just coal are three in-game terms that refer the same thing, any unit of charcoal or coke

Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Coal#ixzz0t5XpFwSD

Make it in Wood Furnace(b>e>w) with logs of wood. Make sure to activate Wood Burning Labor(v>p>l>Farming Related>Wood Burning).

This does not answer my question. My question is if it is possible to check if there are any ores on the map, that can make my weapon and armor industry going. The only I have now are copper, zinc and lead. And I have inspected around 10 levels...

coinich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:58 am »

DFHack has a tool or two to see/get a report of what all is on the map.

Are shields worth it, and if so, can I use them with Battleaxes and Spears?

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12:19 am »

dfprospector will do what you want.

Question:
I regenned my world with the same parameters as before by dumping it from the Legends. I am having a hard time finding my old embark site though. Any advice?

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:35 am »

This does not answer my question. My question is if it is possible to check if there are any ores on the map, that can make my weapon and armor industry going. The only I have now are copper, zinc and lead. And I have inspected around 10 levels...

Ah, sorry I misread your question.

Well, you could make some random excavation in your map until you find a good mineral area. Btw caverns aren't that much a trouble, when you find one, close shut the stair and dig in the empty spaces, I did this to get magma to my fort.

Good Luck.

Thanks. What does the 15000 mean? :o
I guess it's a unit of measure, like 1 meter of thread, it's used by the game cloth system more balance(ie: 10.000 clothes you can make a bag, but not a clock).

But I have no clue of what measure it really are ;)

Question
How can I make Urish McClothier and Urish McWeaver don't take the supply clothes and threads from my hospital?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 08, 2010, 09:51:16 am »

Does a freezing climate really make your dwarfs and livestock freeze to death when outside as mentioned in the wiki? It seems a bit lame since you -start- outside and so would die pretty quickly I assume.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: July 08, 2010, 12:02:17 pm »

Does a freezing climate really make your dwarfs and livestock freeze to death when outside as mentioned in the wiki? It seems a bit lame since you -start- outside and so would die pretty quickly I assume.
It takes awhile, and only in deep winter usually, I've had palces that are so cold that dwarves freeze to death before I get the underground dug out, but usually it requires them to be stuck outside for a LONG time, longer then they would work outside before getting tired or hungry normally, and good advantage is freezing to death enemy seiges, lock your doors and wait for them to die of the cold.
Nom nom nom

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1731 on: July 08, 2010, 12:06:51 pm »

I did embark on a freezing site once, and brought along milk as my main embark food, planning to turn it into cheese when I arrived.  The milk all froze almost immediately, and my dwarves were unwilling to turn it into ice cream.  I had to butcher all my starting animals to keep from starving till I got the farms up and running.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: July 08, 2010, 12:16:06 pm »

I did embark on a freezing site once, and brought along milk as my main embark food, planning to turn it into cheese when I arrived.  The milk all froze almost immediately, and my dwarves were unwilling to turn it into ice cream.  I had to butcher all my starting animals to keep from starving till I got the farms up and running.
would they not carry it inside either, cause normally once inside stuff like that un-freezes.
Nom nom nom

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1733 on: July 08, 2010, 12:22:33 pm »

would they not carry it inside either, cause normally once inside stuff like that un-freezes.
It was difficult to get them to do so.  They refused to carry the frozen milk inside to put it on a food stockpile, since apparently frozen milk doesn't count as food.  They wouldn't put the barrels on a furniture stockpile, because they weren't empty.  I had to make an indoor refuse pile and designate the barrels for dumping, wait for the milk to thaw, then reclaim them before the dwarves would move them to a food stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 08, 2010, 12:57:41 pm »

I think my outpost liaison died or something. It's year 3 and he hasn't visited me once yet. I haven't even got the prompt at the bottom along with the caravan telling me he came.

Does he get replaced sometime?

Check your fortress stocks for corpses. You'll probably find him dead on arrival at the edge of the map. They can even arrive without an upper body.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »

Do falling items hurt living creatures if they land on the same tile? I have a long shaft leading down to the magma sea where I'm setting up a forging operation, and a lot of ore on the top of the shaft. Do I need to cancel dropping ore when I reclaim it, or can my dwarves be safe despite the shower of rocks?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: July 08, 2010, 02:43:12 pm »

Do falling items hurt living creatures if they land on the same tile? I have a long shaft leading down to the magma sea where I'm setting up a forging operation, and a lot of ore on the top of the shaft. Do I need to cancel dropping ore when I reclaim it, or can my dwarves be safe despite the shower of rocks?
While dwarven, rock showers probably are not good for your Dwarves' health.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 08, 2010, 03:07:20 pm »

Can an animal be chained to multiple restraints, provided they're in range? I want to chain an animal to several chains so that it's still able to bite things, but can't move at all.

Also, when you break into a cavern, is it just a sheer drop to the bottom? I don't understand how caverns work at all, can someone explain so I don't have to have Fun with my precious fort?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 08, 2010, 04:00:30 pm »

Can an animal be chained to multiple restraints, provided they're in range? I want to chain an animal to several chains so that it's still able to bite things, but can't move at all.

Also, when you break into a cavern, is it just a sheer drop to the bottom? I don't understand how caverns work at all, can someone explain so I don't have to have Fun with my precious fort?

Ussually a cavern only lasts a few z-levels. 5 or 6 max. There are several, which may (or may not) be connected by passages. The only way to find out is dig down.

Note that it's very easy to wall off caverns if that's what you want to do. I've had 5-6 forts get down past all the caverns, to the buetifal magma sea, and have only had a single dwarf actually set foot in a cavern. That guy went splat. I've had a few cavern denizens manage to invade my fort, before I figured out how to wall them out, but none caused real fun.

Walling caverns out is fairly simple. If you dig into them from above just build a floor over the down stairway. If you break into one from the side above ground level build a wall. Breaking in AT ground level would be tricky, my basic advice is don't. If you do try to put a trench between your fort and the cavern. To do that you'll have to dig a two-tile wide trench, and remove the ramp from the cavern side. Your ramp-remover will come back up the other ramp into your fort.

BTW, just thought I'd mention that I also experience the problem with backspace not working on Macs. One of my most important burrows is named Foirges*** where * = triangle. I don't have a good explanation for you PC dorks as to why that is, because in theory a Mac "Delete" sends the same dang electronic signal as a PC "Backspace," but I do know that I can never delete anything I have typed into Dwarf Fortress.

Also some guy wanted to know exactly how much profit a trader needed. In my experience the answer is 50%. If you offer 1,500 in rock mugs the trader is quite happy to give you 1,000 worth of booze. But it's very rare for him to give you 1,001 worth of booze for 1,500 in mugs. And he'll only  give you that "deal" if you previously made a proposal where he made more then 50% profit. Under no circumstances, whatsoever, regardless of skill levels, will a trader ever agree to a deal that puts him under 50% profit for the trip.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: July 08, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »

While dwarven, rock showers probably are not good for your Dwarves' health.
This is incorrect. Currently, falling objects have no capability to harm creatures.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 1178