Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118747 times)

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1635 on: July 05, 2010, 02:51:28 am »

My cook keeps making masterpieces when cooking, which then results in him "suffering the travesty of art defacement" when a dwarf eats them.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: July 05, 2010, 02:57:28 am »

Are you sure they're not simply rotting? Eating masterpiece meals has never caused art defacement thoughts.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:16 am »

I'm having trouble setting a flooding room trap

here's my plan

1: Lever linked with floodgate
2: Lever linked with both doors
Pressure Plate linked with both doors and floodgate

what I'm trying to do: When someone passes trough the pressure plate it will lock both doors and open the floodgate. When they are finally dead i'll close the floodgate and open the doors.

Also, i'm planing a escape-water, so it will not get all my fort with 1/7 water.

Please help. What am I doing wrong?

ps: I'll close the path bellow.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: July 05, 2010, 04:56:09 am »

Does anyone have a workaround for the gypsum plaster not being used?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

TheVeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: July 05, 2010, 07:06:22 am »

What temperature range is warm in the worldgen? I'm trying to gen a world with nothing but warm areas.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1640 on: July 05, 2010, 09:46:41 am »

what I'm trying to do: When someone passes trough the pressure plate it will lock both doors and open the floodgate. When they are finally dead i'll close the floodgate and open the doors.
The problem is that pressure plates don't work like that.  When the pressure plate is stepped on it sends a signal to activate whatever it's connected to.  This signal will cause both doors and floodgates to open.  Doors open instantly, floodgates open with a 100 step delay.  When the creature on the pressure plate steps off the pressure plate, the pressure plate will deactivate, sending signals to close the doors and floodgates.

What you're trying to do is have the pressure plate activate a latching system.  To do this you need to use water logic.  You need to build a side chamber connected by a door to a source of water.  The pressure plate you have here will open said door to let water into the side chamber.  The side chamber will contain two pressure plates, one set to trigger when the chamber is full of water, and one set to trigger when it isn't.  The pressure plate set to trigger when water is present will be linked to the floodgate that lets water into your drowning chamber.  The one set to trigger when water isn't present will be linked to the doors leading in and out of the drowning chamber.

Now when a creature steps on the pressure plate, it will cause the floodgate letting water into the side chamber to open, flooding the side chamber with water.  This will un-trigger the pressure plate linked to the doors in and out of the drowning chamber, locking them, and trigger the pressure plate linked to the floodgate that opens to let water into your drowning chamber.

Finally, you can have another floodgate attached to the side chamber that drains water out of it.  This you link to a manual lever in your fortress so you can drain water out of the latch after everything has drowned to reset the mechanism.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: July 05, 2010, 09:56:41 am »

Use 1x1 tile raising (NOT RETRACTING) bridges instead of doors. Bridges are lowered (open) when the lever is 'off' while doors/floodgates are closed, and vice versa. In your design, I'd use bridges to hold back water, and doors to lock people in, as there is a 100 tick delay for bridges and floodgates, but not for doors.

For reference.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: July 05, 2010, 10:02:25 am »

Thanks Sphalerite and Osmosis Jones, it was very helpful ;)

I have other question also... I wanna make a Dye Workshop and it says I need lye. How do I get lye? In the wiki it says from Ashery, but in order to build an Ashery I need lye!

Do I have to buy it from a caravan?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1643 on: July 05, 2010, 10:08:46 am »

You don't need lye to build either of those workshops.

To build an Ashery you need a block, a barrel, and a bucket.  To build a Dyer's Shop you need a barrel, a bucket, and any building material.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: July 05, 2010, 10:08:57 am »

A dye workshop or ashery shouldn't need lye to build. From memory you just need a stone or block, a barrel and a bucket each. What you do need however is someone with the right skill enabled. For the ashery is this is potash or lye making (go to farming professions, and turn it on), which is where the lye thing is coming from, but I can't see where you're getting it for the dye workshop (needs a Dyeing enabled dwarf).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: July 05, 2010, 11:56:39 am »

Does anyone know how to get bonesetting to work and hospitals using gypsum powder? Urgent question- just had 3 miners break various limbs in a cave in and they can't go back to work until they're fixed :(
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: July 05, 2010, 12:56:59 pm »

Currently, I exclusively use meeting zones from the zoning menu (i->m). This prevents parties, which I was plagued with until I started doing this... However, are there any downsides to using this instead of designating a meeting area from a table or statue? Generally I put the zone in my dining hall and, whenever I get around to setting one up, around my statue garden. I haven't had any problems yet, and haven't seen a party ever since. But I wanna be sure.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: July 05, 2010, 02:45:52 pm »

How do I forbid dwarves to go outside? If I cannot, is there some alternative way to quickly force dwarves to go inside? An ambush has been spotted and my woodcutter is outside (along with some haulers, but who cares about them).

Also. I have many globs of fat, but the render fat option isn't showing up in the kitchen. Do I need blocks of fat instead or something?

How many civilian haulers should I need to swarm five goblins (my first ambush so maybe not that powerful)?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:00:31 pm by Cheddarius »

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: July 05, 2010, 02:56:31 pm »

Is there any way to get my warriors to disengage from combat without becoming civilians and starting to run in random directions?   I'd like some way to get them to fall back to a burrow as soldiers when a situation is going to h*ll.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: July 05, 2010, 03:00:56 pm »

How do I forbid dwarves to go outside? If I cannot, is there some alternative way to quickly force dwarves to go inside? An ambush has been spotted and my woodcutter is outside (along with some haulers, but who cares about them).

Also. I have many globs of fat, but the render fat option isn't showing up in the kitchen. Do I need blocks of fat instead or something?

Place a burrow inside somewhere, preferably away from the entrance, then create or edit an alert to restrict civilians to that burrow. Basically the same as the old ordering dwarves to stay inside.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 1178