Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1118512 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1575 on: July 03, 2010, 05:38:14 pm »

If you capture humanoids (goblins, humans, kobolds, elves) in cages, will they die of starvation? Also, if I let them loose once they've been captured, would they then starve to death or eat if food is accessible?
Only intelligent creatures you control need to eat and drink.  So traders or captured enemies don't need to eat any more than tame animals do.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 03, 2010, 05:47:52 pm »

If you capture humanoids (goblins, humans, kobolds, elves) in cages, will they die of starvation? Also, if I let them loose once they've been captured, would they then starve to death or eat if food is accessible?
Only intelligent creatures you control need to eat and drink.  So traders or captured enemies don't need to eat any more than tame animals do.

Excellent, my death sport arena can continue as planned! *evil hand rub*
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 03, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »

Is it normal for caverns to be completely flooded?

Also, if you're in a cavern and a tile is revealed, but you don't necessarily have line of sight to at that moment, would you be able to see creatures in it?  Because I found an island in said flooded cavern, and there are spiderwebs all over it, but I don't see a spider.  :\
Amphibious spider mayhaps?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 03, 2010, 06:25:17 pm »

Is there a specific keybind for exitting the "queue new job" menu of the job manager? I remember the version of 40d I downloaded from a tutorial site had it set to F9 while backing out of everything else was space bar, however now it stays the same key as exitting from all other menues, meaning I can't use spaces in my searches.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1579 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:37 pm »

Is it normal for caverns to be completely flooded?
Seems to happen fairly often in my experience

Also, if you're in a cavern and a tile is revealed, but you don't necessarily have line of sight to at that moment, would you be able to see creatures in it?  Because I found an island in said flooded cavern, and there are spiderwebs all over it, but I don't see a spider.  :\
Amphibious spider mayhaps?
Are they cave spider webs or giant cave spider webs?  Cave spiders are vermin and teleport around.  Giant cave spiders are sneaky and start of hidden, you don't know they're there until they bump into a friendly creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Chainlinc3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 03, 2010, 06:32:32 pm »

They're regular cave spider webs.  So... That would mean that there's only regular cave spiders out there, which shouldn't attack, right?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 03, 2010, 06:51:02 pm »

You might not have found the GCS webs yet. You aren't at risk of them most of the time though, as they don't reproduce and have a lifespan of 20 years so unless you run worldgen for a really short time, you won't see any. Cave spiders will bite, but it just causes very mild dizziness, which may be a disadvantage to some military dwarves but isn't a big deal for most dwarves.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 03, 2010, 06:58:59 pm »

How can I irrigate in an environment where all the water is frozen? Will it melt in summer?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 03, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »

It depends on how frozen this environment is. If it's only temperate or cold there should be some times during summer when it's liquid. If you embarked on a freezing biome, you're out of luck unless you find magma or an underground lake.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 03, 2010, 07:04:29 pm »

How do I tell what biome it is?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 03, 2010, 07:10:02 pm »

When you embark there's a coloured note near the forestry information and stuff like that. If you don't want to reembark, just guess by how close you are to the edge of the world map. If you embarked really far north or south, it's probably freezing but otherwise it's likely just the cold end of temperate.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 03, 2010, 07:40:51 pm »

All right, thanks!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 03, 2010, 07:46:21 pm »

Is it possible to heal captured goblins at all? Or can they regenerate? Also, does anyone have the answer to my previous question about the keybind for exiting the task search on the job manager?

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 03, 2010, 11:00:01 pm »

Is it possible to heal captured goblins at all? Or can they regenerate? Also, does anyone have the answer to my previous question about the keybind for exiting the task search on the job manager?
IIRC I once had a goblin who healed so fast he was basically immortal. That was in 40d, tho, and my guys weren't hurting him too bad, so I have no idea whether a gobbo with a broken leg will heal.

As for your job manager question I'll assume you mean the menu you get when you type u-m-q. You can get out of that screen by hitting escape.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 03, 2010, 11:20:26 pm »

Goblins can still heal. They just usually heal slower now that they're supposed to be in hospitals. You're still better off just killing any injured goblins and catching some more at the next siege.

As for your job manager question I'll assume you mean the menu you get when you type u-m-q. You can get out of that screen by hitting escape.
I think the problem is that Chattox has rebound the 'exit menu' key to space like in the old version, causing problems when typing in the search menu. The only way to fix that right now is to use a different key.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 1178